Mini-blind comparison: Sibelius 7th Symphony

Started by aukhawk, March 06, 2017, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senta

Finally made it back to sift through the results! Cool to see some of my wild stabs weren't tooo far off.

Thrilled and not at all surprised about Sir Colin Davis being the first choice!

I've thought about getting that set before and this seems like a good reason now ;)

Also, I need the Oramo recording! The clip was great! Feels totally authentic and just..right somehow. I'm often impressed when I encounter his work but don't really have many of his recordings.

BTW I just read too that he has been appointed as the next teacher of conductors at the Sibelius Academy, starting in 2020:

http://slippedisc.com/2017/03/maestro-move-sakari-takes-over-at-sibelius-academy/

Oh and the Karajan recording - well, the clip was very interesting indeed, I'd like to hear the rest to see what else he has to say for fun!

It certainly reminded me of just why we collect recordings like crazy people around here - so many very different opinions about the same black spots on the page!  :D

Cato

Sadly, and a little amazingly, YouTube offers none of the symphonies as conducted by the great Akeo Watanabe!

A used set is available with the symphonies 1, 2, 5, and 7 on Amazon.  Otherwise, a complete set is over $200.00 used!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)