Author Topic: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord  (Read 256417 times)

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord
« Reply #1241 on: October 05, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »
In comment sections and amateur reviews of Bach’s keyboard music, I frequently come across the sentiment that period performance is stuffy, dry, inflexible, lacking warmth, stodgy, etc. In my experience, almost the exact opposite is true, or at least the situation is closer to even (but more on the side of period instruments). Anyway, where does this misconception of period performances come from? I think it’s a persistent misconception. 

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1242 on: October 05, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
In comment sections and amateur reviews of Bach’s keyboard music, I frequently come across the sentiment that period performance is stuffy, dry, inflexible, lacking warmth, stodgy, etc. In my experience, almost the exact opposite is true, or at least the situation is closer to even (but more on the side of period instruments). Anyway, where does this misconception of period performances come from? I think it’s a persistent misconception.

Perhaps they can't adjust to the differences between modern piano and 18th century keyboard instruments.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1243 on: October 05, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »
Perhaps they can't adjust to the differences between modern piano and 18th century keyboard instruments.
Maybe so. I can understand if someone says, “I’m allergic to the harpsichord.” But it seems like there’s an opinion out there that period performance is stuffy.