I'm getting rid of all my CDs

Started by Catison, March 18, 2017, 11:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catison

I am downsizing and moving to another city.  So I am getting rid of my whole collection.  I have a lot of more modern things and movie soundtracks. 

If you live in Houston, I will be selling all of the CDs out of my home next weekend, but I will also be posting things here for sale.  What doesn't sell will be donated.
-Brett

Mirror Image

Your whole collection? Yikes! How many CDs do you own?

Zeus

Do you have the complete Villa-Lobos string quartets?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

TheGSMoeller

Bogey

Quote from: Catison on March 18, 2017, 11:30:45 AM
I am downsizing and moving to another city.  So I am getting rid of my whole collection.  I have a lot of more modern things and movie soundtracks. 

If you live in Houston, I will be selling all of the CDs out of my home next weekend, but I will also be posting things here for sale.  What doesn't sell will be donated.

Oy, Brett, how many soundtracks you getting rid of?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Scion7

May I interject here - don't do anything you will regret later on - the time it took to collect/the expense - short term periods of change can make you do things that may cause long-term AAAAAUUUGGGGGG!  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Que

Quote from: Scion7 on March 18, 2017, 06:33:56 PM
May I interject here - don't do anything you will regret later on - the time it took to collect/the expense - short term periods of change can make you do things that may cause long-term AAAAAUUUGGGGGG!  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

I agree... Just the thought!  ??? I'd rather part with one of my limbs, do to speak....  ::)  ;)

Q

Spineur

Seconded !  When I moved from the US back to Europe, I also got rid of my collection, and found out I could not find them any more in Europe  >:D.  Most of them yot eventually re-issued but it took nearly ten years.  And if it wasnt for some GMG members  :-*, I would still be missing some of them.

Jo498

I'd at least check what is rare and what would be easy to buy again, stream etc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

Personally, I don't understand why someone would want to get rid of their whole collection? I mean I can understanding doing some culling, but get rid of it all seems crazy to me.

Jo498

It facilitates a move.

And radical downsizing apparently has some benefits for psychological well being for some people, therefore the recent "minimalism" trends.
I tend to doubt that these effects are more than short term and while I am all in favor of criticism of the excesses of consumerism I am skeptical of minimalism as a fad.
And a CD or Vinyl collection is not really comparable to having too many cheap H & M clothes or getting the newest electronic gadget ASAP. There are no classical recording sweatshops, for all I know, they don't really take up that much space etc.

The other point that has prevented me from major culling/downsizing is that it is financially hardly worth the effort. When CDs were still quite expensive, 20-25 years ago, second-hand-shops would buy full price discs around a third of new price and sell them for 50-60%. But today with a used disc typically fetching a few cents to about 3-4 $/EUR, why bother?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Catison

Quote from: Judge Fish on March 18, 2017, 06:01:31 PM
Do you have the complete Villa-Lobos string quartets?

No, but I do have a CD of some symphonies.
-Brett

Catison

-Brett

Catison

Quote from: Jo498 on March 20, 2017, 12:18:04 AM
It facilitates a move.

And radical downsizing apparently has some benefits for psychological well being for some people, therefore the recent "minimalism" trends.
I tend to doubt that these effects are more than short term and while I am all in favor of criticism of the excesses of consumerism I am skeptical of minimalism as a fad.
And a CD or Vinyl collection is not really comparable to having too many cheap H & M clothes or getting the newest electronic gadget ASAP. There are no classical recording sweatshops, for all I know, they don't really take up that much space etc.

The other point that has prevented me from major culling/downsizing is that it is financially hardly worth the effort. When CDs were still quite expensive, 20-25 years ago, second-hand-shops would buy full price discs around a third of new price and sell them for 50-60%. But today with a used disc typically fetching a few cents to about 3-4 $/EUR, why bother?

There is definitely an aspect of minimalism to my decision.  And I agree that a decision based on that fad would only yield temporary results.  However, I also have empirical evidence on my side.  I moved into my current house about 5 years ago, and almost all of my CD boxes remain unopened.  In fact, most are in boxes from when I first moved after completing grad school 7 years ago.  I have found that I get enough satisfaction from my downloaded collection.  And now with an Apple Music subscription, I can find something to listen to very easily.  There is even some very hard to find stuff on there, like many of the Feldman recordings I cherish.  But even those I don't listen to much anymore.  As much as I love Feldman, I just don't have the time to sit and listen to a string quartet for 12 hours  :P.  Since November I have been living apart from my family in a small apartment with only my essential technology.  What I found is that my iPad can contain all of my books, my iPhone can contain all of my music, and my AppleTV can contain all of my movies.  I was skeptical myself at first too, but the beauty of an always-on internet connect is paying off now.  I am very content and happy and, quite frankly, my music collection is doing nothing for me sitting in my attic 1000 miles away.  I have no need for it.  I would rather someone else experience the joys that I did finding the stuff and listening to it the first time. 
-Brett

springrite

If I were anywhere near Houston, I'd not only stop by to look and buy some of your CDs but also take you out for a drink and dinner and more. We have never met but since the early days (and with much stories I still remember) you have been an essential member of the community. I felt that I owe it to myself to meet you.

Anyhow, whatever is left I think I may want to check if there are some that I may want to take if only as a remembrance of CI days.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Catison

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 18, 2017, 06:03:49 PM
Do you live near The Woodlands?

I live in the Atascocita area.  PM me if you want details.
-Brett

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 20, 2017, 08:18:50 PM
Don't sell your CDs unless you're homeless

Right, because with 2,500 of them, you could build yourself a shiny jewel-case shelter!
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

springrite

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on March 25, 2017, 01:55:28 AM
Right, because with 2,500 of them, you could build yourself a shiny jewel-case shelter!

If you build one big enough, you can fit yourself in it as well?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.