Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on April 05, 2023, 06:24:45 AMI WISH that Naxos would box up their 19-disc orchestral series and have emailed them to that effect. This is such wonderful music and the performances are never less than impressive...

;D

I have all 19 of these and couldn't agree more. I need to fold Glazunov into my ongoing Russian odyssey, because he stands amongst my favourite composers. Or at least, he has historically. This series is outstanding in every way, and as my introduction to Glazunov, still stands as my preferred recordings of his work.

PS... this also includes Volume 14, with his two piano concertos, despite my recent protestations of general disdain for such works.

Colour me hypocritical.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brian

Has anyone tried the new orchestral series from MDG? I see they recorded "Stenka Razin," one of my favorite Glazunov works - might stream that as a sample to see how it compares to the Naxos series and others.

Really wish the Alexander Lazarev Symphonies 4 and 5 disc was more easily available. That is a pure thrill ride unlike any other.

Brahmsian

Is there really 19 discs of orchestral music from Glazunov?  :-\  Wow, I didn't realize he wrote that much orchestral music.

Albion

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 05, 2023, 06:31:09 AMI have all 19 of these and couldn't agree more. I need to fold Glazunov into my ongoing Russian odyssey, because he stands amongst my favourite composers. Or at least, he has historically. This series is outstanding in every way, and as my introduction to Glazunov, still stands as my preferred recordings of his work.

PS... this also includes Volume 14, with his two piano concertos, despite my recent protestations of general disdain for such works.

Colour me hypocritical.

Never!!! This was just such an important recording project that it needs to be treasured and presented in the best possible format for the listener. Naxos has done so many excellent boxed sets (most recently the Bax symphonies and major tone poems) that surely they can do the same for Glazunov...

;)

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 05, 2023, 06:41:26 AMIs there really 19 discs of orchestral music from Glazunov?  :-\  Wow, I didn't realize he wrote that much orchestral music.

Oh, yes. There's a ton of the bloody stuff and it's all lovely.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Albion

My request for a boxed set has apparently been "passed on to the relevant department", which is quite nice. It would be a damn sight more nice if they actually brought it to fruition...

8)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Maestro267

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 05, 2023, 06:31:09 AMPS... this also includes Volume 14, with his two piano concertos, despite my recent protestations of general disdain for such works.

Colour me hypocritical.

You have disdain for piano concertos?

foxandpeng

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 06, 2023, 04:00:14 AMYou have disdain for piano concertos?

Sadly. I'm not a big lover of classical music where pianos predominate or have a large role. There are exceptions, of course, but it is a general preference.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Albion

My word, the 8th symphony is a bloody corker! It's still in a "conservative" idiom but there is just so much drama and colour. Can anybody remember the last time that a Glazunov symphony, suite, concerto or tone poem was programmed live? I suspect only those aged 120 or over. This is an international disgrace: scanning the Russian broadcasts he gets absolutely NO attention...

::)

Brian

Quote from: Albion on April 06, 2023, 05:08:04 PMCan anybody remember the last time that a Glazunov symphony, suite, concerto or tone poem was programmed live?

Well the jaw dropping Lazarev Fifth Symphony CD is a live performance recording from 2017 in Japan!

dhibbard

Yes his music is wonderful... and I agree the Symphony no 8 is one of my favorites along with The Kremlin and Karelian Legend.  Its a real shame that his music is not performed live or very rarely performed live.  I know the ERSO had programmed one of his symphonies a few years back, but who can travel to Tallinn to hear it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 05, 2023, 06:31:09 AMI have all 19 of these and couldn't agree more. I need to fold Glazunov into my ongoing Russian odyssey, because he stands amongst my favourite composers. Or at least, he has historically. This series is outstanding in every way, and as my introduction to Glazunov, still stands as my preferred recordings of his work.

Colour me hypocritical.

Why didn't I find out about this when the Chandos' Naxos download sale was still on!!!!  >:(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on April 06, 2023, 05:08:04 PMMy word, the 8th symphony is a bloody corker! It's still in a "conservative" idiom but there is just so much drama and colour. Can anybody remember the last time that a Glazunov symphony, suite, concerto or tone poem was programmed live? I suspect only those aged 120 or over. This is an international disgrace: scanning the Russian broadcasts he gets absolutely NO attention...

Quote from: Albion on April 06, 2023, 05:08:04 PMMy word, the 8th symphony is a bloody corker! It's still in a "conservative" idiom but there is just so much drama and colour. Can anybody remember the last time that a Glazunov symphony, suite, concerto or tone poem was programmed live? I suspect only those aged 120 or over. This is an international disgrace: scanning the Russian broadcasts he gets absolutely NO attention...

No.8 is arguably the greatest. It is, IMO, the most deeply felt of them all. I'm sorry that he never finished No.9 - the only completed movement is very poignant and soulful.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2023, 11:01:31 PM::)

No.8 is arguably the greatest. It is, IMO, the most deeply felt of them all. I'm sorry that he never finished No.9 - the only completed movement is very poignant and soulful.

Interesting - I like 8 (I like them all tbh) but 5,6 or 3 would come before 8 in my favourites list.  5 was the first I heard - shock horror played in a concert by the RLPO - so I have a "first-love-syndrome" with that one.

Albion

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 07, 2023, 09:40:38 AMInteresting - I like 8 (I like them all tbh) but 5,6 or 3 would come before 8 in my favourites list.  5 was the first I heard - shock horror played in a concert by the RLPO - so I have a "first-love-syndrome" with that one.

My favourite symphony resolutely remains the 5th (although I love the others, along with pretty much everything that Glazunov scribbed whenever he was sober enough to focus on a page of manuscript paper), which has just such a majestic sweep and memorability. I think that Serebrier's sumptuous eight disc Warner box is now OOP? All the more reason for Naxos to get their collective arses into gear and reissue their splendid Glazunov series in a lovely big box. Yum...

;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 07, 2023, 09:40:38 AMInteresting - I like 8 (I like them all tbh) but 5,6 or 3 would come before 8 in my favourites list.  5 was the first I heard - shock horror played in a concert by the RLPO - so I have a "first-love-syndrome" with that one.
I like them all as well. My very favourites are 8,7,2,1 and the fragment of 9.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Glazunov Orchestral Works Volume 15, Symphonies 5 and 8. Other Works are great, but these two symphonies are amongst my favourites.

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 08, 2023, 06:24:27 AMGlazunov Orchestral Works Volume 15, Symphonies 5 and 8. Other Works are great, but these two symphonies are amongst my favourites.
Yes, that's a fine CD Danny.

Irons

Alongside a recording of Glazunov's 5th String Quartet is a later work Elegy in Memory of M.P. Belyaev which I found more impressive. Didn't take much digging to discover that Belyaev, a philanthropist, was a great supporter and promoter of Russian music.

Sitting left to right - Lyadov, Stayson, Cui, Rimsky-Korsakov, Belyaev, (with daughter), Glazunov and Sokolov.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.