Hello

Started by Artran, March 14, 2017, 04:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artran

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2017, 05:38:09 AM
Eduard Tubin8)

Not only Tubin, but also Cyrillus Kreek, Kaljo Raid, Ester Magi, Veljo Tormis, Lepo Sumera, René Eespere, Erkki-Sven Tüür, Helena Tulve and others :-)

Karl Henning

Well, you have listened to more Estonian composers than I, even though I spent almost two years in Tallinn  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Artran

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2017, 05:53:17 AM
Well, you have listened to more Estonian composers than I, even though I spent almost two years in Tallinn  ;)

I'm a completionist. It's a curse, sometimes ;-)

Karl Henning

I can well believe it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2017, 05:53:17 AM
That's a nice place to be 'stuck' in...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Charming little town.  I do wish I had spent a little more time in Tartu and Pärnu, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Greetings, Jan of the Czech Republic!

Allow me to recommend a Bohemian composer: Jan Kalliwoda!

[asin]B000GQL8OA[/asin]

and

[asin]B01M4KPBOT[/asin]

which contains the Symphony #1, the Violin Concertino #1, and the Introduction and Variations for Clarinet and Orchestra

AND...

[asin]B00WVR1S38[/asin]

which contains the Violin Concertino #5, and Overtures #3, ,7 and 10 which are like compact symphonies!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Artran

Quote from: Cato on March 16, 2017, 08:23:49 AMAllow me to recommend a Bohemian composer: Jan Kalliwoda!

Nothing heard by him yet. Romatic period is somewhat out of my scope now, but I'll definitely get to him in the future.

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 16, 2017, 11:44:00 PMI'm disappointed to find out that you strongly dislike Schoenberg  :P

Ha! I "strongly dislike" Webern even more :P

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 16, 2017, 11:44:00 PMWelcome to the forum, I'm vice chancellor of the contemporary section of this place.  8)

Who's the chancellor, then? :)

Artran

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 17, 2017, 01:20:42 AM
I'm a HUGE Webern fan too, he's a composer always on rotation for me.
Check out the (not visited enough) Webern thread: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,6965.100.html

Not just chancellor, we've got a whole worldwide company if you're into this kind of stuff. There are numerous recent threads on contemporary music for you to enjoy too :D

When I heard his Op. 1 long time ago, it was like being struck by a sledgehammer to the head. Everything change than. I love his aphoristic, dense, crystalline style of his later compositions even more.

I've peeped inside many of those threads already before my registration. I think I'm in the right company here ;-)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 16, 2017, 11:44:00 PM

Welcome to the forum, I'm vice chancellor of the contemporary section of this place.  8)

Ummm..yeah. :-\ You're more like the vice president of the Armchair Conductors Collective. That seems to suit you more. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artran on March 17, 2017, 01:47:21 AM
I've peeped inside many of those threads already before my registration. I think I'm in the right company here ;-)

You are indeed.

aligreto

Quote from: Artran on March 16, 2017, 06:37:39 AM
I'm a completionist. It's a curse, sometimes ;-)

You are in good company here  ;D