Hi folks

Started by pourVivier, March 20, 2017, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pourVivier

Hello World!

I'm a young guy from Montreal, studied composition, love contemporary music. Big fan of the music of Claude Vivier, and hoping/dreaming of following in his footsteps as a composer.

I've been looking for some intelligent discussion about contemporary music and a certain user referred me to this site.

I might go post this in the composer/performer sub-forum, but kinda want to get it off my chest - the school I studied at and my private teacher was absolutely no good, bad, horrible for me and my creativity. Cruel emphasis on perfect notation at the expense of at all considering me as a human or my ideas - despite the fact that I was mostly self-taught up til then. Made me afraid and shameful of my art, and incredibly timid about approaching musicians and asking for help. By now I expect to be treated with no respect and put down, or at best ignored. The film "Whiplash" really hit home, but without the impossible hollywood ending... now I have all these ideas and cool things I wanna do but hardly any portfolio and I'm not as young as I used to be. Is there any hope for me out there?

(my apologies for the drama, looking for dialogue or a "way out".)

Que

Welcome!   :)

Plenty lovers of contemporary music here, please make yourself at home.

Q

pourVivier

Awesome, happy to hear it.

Here's a link to some music if you're interested. Almost entirely MIDI stuff right now (I'm shy....) but "Peace Dove" I think is a half-decent piece of music.

https://soundcloud.com/jamie-webber-2

bhodges

Welcome, pourVivier, and another fan of Vivier here, too. (Have been lucky to hear a few of his works live.)

Sorry to hear that you had a composition teacher who wasn't a good fit -- chalk it up to "luck of the draw," and hope you eventually link up with a better mentor.

Meanwhile, lots of music to listen to, and many fans of contemporary music here (like me).

--Bruce

Spineur

AndrĂ©, a GMG veteran is from Laval which is very close to Montreal.  He may be able to give you very good tips on concerts and more.

A warm welcome from France

vandermolen

Welcome from the UK (soon possibly to be dissolved  :() too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pourVivier

Quote from: Brewski on March 21, 2017, 10:53:15 AM
Welcome, pourVivier, and another fan of Vivier here, too. (Have been lucky to hear a few of his works live.)

Well met! I've seen a few of his pieces live as well, but none of the later spectral pieces - he himself never heard any of those pieces live, though, or at least that's true of Lonely Child. All he had was a recording.

And greetings to the other two, perhaps I'll get to know you over the next little while.

Hollywood

Howdy pourVivier. Greetings from Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).