Myers Briggs

Started by greg, March 20, 2017, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Also, a couple more thoughts.

1) Conscientiousness (corresponding to J and P in Myers Briggs) is something that I'm starting to have doubts is actually a personality trait, even though it's also a part of something like the Big Five (the typing system which the scientific community seems to favor the most). To me it seems like something that is conditional based on what one cares about, or what one is doing (not going to go deeper with that thought at the moment).

2) The distinction between Thinking and Feeling being opposites in the Myers Briggs is something that I'm not sure I agree with, either. I guess you could say "where does the balance fall," but that doesn't give you a clue about if you are good or bad at both. The enneagram, which I get as 5w4 indicates exactly that, type 5 is the most cerebral type and type 4 is the most feeling/Romanticism type. So it's like being a lot of both at the same time, while just getting T or F on a Myers Briggs test doesn't really indicate any of that.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Florestan

Quote from: greg on September 18, 2020, 06:39:59 AM
Cool.

I think most people, including me, who get into these typology systems really start to dislike some of the description, especially INFP and INFJ.

Like wtf is that frolicking in the forest part for INFP? lol

There's many subtypes within one type (if you refer to other typing systems), so that's probably the issue. Like INFP is probably the most common type for goths and metalheads, yet they show this fairy image stuff lol.

Oh, I took it just for the fun of it, nothing serious at all. I don't believe even for a second that the infinite diversity of human nature can be pidgeonholed in a few compartmentalized boxes., be they 9, 12 or 16. I'm sure that if I take the test again in a different mood I'll get a different result.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

greg

Quote from: Florestan on September 18, 2020, 08:18:27 AM
Oh, I took it just for the fun of it, nothing serious at all. I don't believe even for a second that the infinite diversity of human nature can be pidgeonholed in a few compartmentalized boxes., be they 9, 12 or 16. I'm sure that if I take the test again in a different mood I'll get a different result.
Maybe, some people do get different results sometimes.

Mine switched from a P to a J, after all. But I would say that for me "I" and "N" will always remain the result on tests, while "T/F" and "P/J" can switch from day to day. Some people use X's in that case, like it'd be "INxx."

I think the best way of looking at it, instead of boxing people up, is just "what is someone's comfort zone most often." A much healthier perspective that also keeps it fun.

Florestan

Quote from: greg on September 18, 2020, 08:51:38 AM
Mine switched from a P to a J, after all. But I would say that for me "I" and "N" will always remain the result on tests, while "T/F" and "P/J" can switch from day to day. Some people use X's in that case, like it'd be "INxx."

I is a constant for me too, although I'm much less intraverted today than I was 30 or 20 years ago (I'm 47).

INxx with both x subject to change dependent on the context looks just about right to me.

I think the best way of looking at it, instead of boxing people up, is just "what is someone's comfort zone most often." A much healthier perspective that also keeps it fun.

Agreed.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 18, 2020, 02:11:48 PM
Mediator
INFP-T
Either a lot of us who post online are (especially in a music forum, that'd make sense for sure), or something with the test is making people pick INF a lot...
in the general population they seem to be less common...

Though if I had to take a wild guess, Ne/Fi for you, so that result would be accurate...

greg

Ok, so I gotta ask, Karl, would you say you resonate with the phrase "taking one day at a time?" How do you feel about it, does it rub you the wrong way or is it fine?

I'll explain why I'm asking, just curious...

greg

Quote from: Florestan on September 18, 2020, 08:18:27 AM
I don't believe even for a second that the infinite diversity of human nature can be pidgeonholed in a few compartmentalized boxes., be they 9, 12 or 16.
It does get more interesting with a 512 type system, though.

I haven't had any males that ended up being typed the same as me (only 2 females so far), but a few guys have been typed extremely close.

The guy who is most like me that has been typed is David Blaine. The only difference in that system is that he is kinesthetic first/audio second, while I'm audio first/kinesthetic second.

I watched some more of his interviews recently and he I still say that the way he talks, and the general vibe he gives off is basically the same as me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: greg on September 18, 2020, 02:46:24 PM
Ok, so I gotta ask, Karl, would you say you resonate with the phrase "taking one day at a time?" How do you feel about it, does it rub you the wrong way or is it fine?

I'll explain why I'm asking, just curious...

As I continue recovery from my stroke, taking it one day at a time is my experience, and I embrace it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 18, 2020, 04:40:52 PM
As I continue recovery from my stroke, taking it one day at a time is my experience, and I embrace it.
Oh, definitely. That's the way to go after something like that.

Would be more helpful if I knew if this was a lifelong attitude mainly... just was trying to make a distinction between Ne-style thinking and Ni-style thinking.

Supposedly, I am Ni rather than Ne... which I agree with more now after some time (years ago I thought it was Ne).

Ne is gathering patterns and Ni is tunnel vision honing focusing on a pattern (after gathering, of course). But Ne mostly gathers and doesn't tunnel vision that much.

It feels like I could do both, but I do lean toward wanting to focus on one thing. Which is why that phrase rubs me the wrong way, despite it being true ("that's all you can do, etc."). I've had to divide my life into a series of projects, like chapters, where I'm only focused on one thing at a time. It's very hard to just do a little bit of one thing, a little bit of another thing, all in the same day. I can't be working on multiple goals at the same time, basically. So it doesn't feel like my life is one day at a time, but a sequence of projects with a beginning and end. Always staring at the goalpost... "are we there yet?" etc.

If you want an example of highly Ne posts here with no balance at all, yeah... snyprrr LOL...

Quote from: MN Dave on September 18, 2020, 04:56:47 PM
Defender ISFJ-T
Congrats for being the rare person who gets Sensor as a result!  ;D  (even though it's more common in the general population)

MN Dave

Quote from: greg on September 18, 2020, 05:08:32 PM
Congrats for being the rare person who gets Sensor as a result!  ;D  (even though it's more common in the general population)

I'm Luke Cage!  8)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

greg

MN Dave

Mind 83%
Energy 54%
Nature 51%
Tactics 51%
Identity 60%

greg

Here's another cool little quiz, if anyone finds this fun.

It's a combination of Big 5/MBTI/a word cloud
this is a link for my results, just to get a visual about it:

https://www.traitlab.com/results/cool-whale-281

(i don't agree with my agreeableness score, though, it's not that low, it should be about 30% or so like in other quizzes)

Here's the word cloud, it's kinda cool.

(though how do you have domineering and uncompetitive in the same cloud?  ;D )

greg

Although only seven and ten votes, I absolutely agree with the enneagram assessment of Mahler and Schoenberg, they are the poster children of those types IMO:

Mahler: 4w5
https://www.personality-database.com/profile/23933/gustav-mahler-classical-music-mbti-personality-type

Schoenberg: 5w4
https://www.personality-database.com/profile/29951/arnold-schoenberg-classical-music-mbti-personality-type

I've been reading a bit about the Enneagram fears and sins, growth and stress. I can't speak about the system as a whole how legit it is or not, but there is one observation I've made.

I'm 5w4... and probably would have developed serialism if Schoenberg hadn't.  ;D

Type 5's stress leads to Type 7 behavior... Type 7 is the adventurous, scattered type. My goto has been distractions, for sure. Basically escapism, through gaming or focusing on something else. So, legit, maybe? Would be hard to know unless asking other 5's probably.

Type 5's growth leads to Type 8 behavior (Type 8- "The Leader")... not sure about this personally, though I could imagine that a Type 5, who acquires niche knowledge would become an authority, like a professor, to become a Type 8. This could totally do it for Schoenberg- "here is this wacky system I made, I'll be the authority that teaches you guys all this stuff!"

greg

The four temperaments

Ok, a bit of a surprise when taking these tests.... based on the description of the four temperaments I thought I would score "Melancholic" out of the ballpark, based on the description of each, but instead I did that for "Choleric."  ???

Anyone wanna give one a try and let me know if they think the test is BS or not?

This one is only 8 questions:
https://psychologia.co/four-temperaments-test/

I got:

SANGUINE            2
PHLEGMATIC         3
CHOLERIC           11
MELANCHOLIC    0

And on a longer quiz:
https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/O4TS/results.php?dat=MTcgMTEgMTMgMTI-
Choleric    
Melancholic    
Sanguine    
Phlegmatic    

Here is also a really fun find, it's "15 blends of two different temperaments"

https://fourtemperaments.com/15-temperament-blends/#1456996294638-d674bdfe-7d51

greg

Temperaments Blend Quiz
https://temperaments.fighunter.com/?page=test

Your temperaments blend may be...
Choleric
Melancholic

Ok, guess that's settled then...
(it has Choleric as a big box and Melancholic as a smaller box)

http://interpersonal-compatibility.blogspot.com/2014/06/15-temperament-blends-what-is-your-blend.html
4. Strategist Pattern
    Choleric-Melancholy
    "D-C"

The Strategist is more detail oriented than the other Cholerics. They initiate change. They usually operate from a well-thought through plan. They have creative ideas. They will often use very direct, forceful and persistent methods to get results or promote their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make things happen the "right" way. They like to solve problems and make decisions¾and are actually quite able to do so. They usually have well thought-out goals and are very independent in an attempt to carry them out. They need to know exactly what is expected before they can function efficiently. They can be very forceful and very sensitive. They speak with authority and are usually very productive. When working on a project they exhibit sensitivity and strategy that reveals penetrating insight. To be highly motivated they need freedom, the opportunity for advancement, information that will help them get results and the chance to make something better. They dislike weakness.

greg

Finding a lot of charts while listening to this boring stupid stuff for work, and I found one that is incredibly simple, yet explains the slightly surprising results of my previous post:

For one, I am task oriented instead of people oriented, 100%, that is a fixed thing.

But my energy levels do seem to fluctuate wildly from day to day. So I think the results of Choleric-Melancholic is simply describing the fluctuation of that one aspect, energy.

Why this was slightly confusing, to get Choleric as results, is that the descriptor is like some extroverted CEO or meathead, Type A- but to simply view that temperament as being task-oriented but being in a state of high energy, makes complete sense, and it actually clicks when described that way.

greg

Another interesting one.

Middle: Supine
Top left: Phlegmatic
Top right: Sanguine
Bottom left: Melancholic
Bottom right: Choleric

... and in the middle it is just the blend of the two combined (so bottom-middle is Melancholic and Choleric combined)- and that's the metalhead face!  ;D :D