Myers Briggs

Started by greg, March 20, 2017, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

I'm sure there has to be a topic about this already, but search is disabled, so whatever.

Haven't done it in a long time. Don't even remember what the last two letters were. Read each description and it was a toss between INTP and ISTP. Took the test and clearly INTP.

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

I- 83%
N- 88%
T- 69%
P- 60%

-T- 69%

You can do the test on the same site and post the results if you want.

greg

There's also this:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2015/07/how-to-recognize-each-myers-briggs-personality-type-in-real-life/

Ti dominant, Ne secondary. Makes sense.

And reading that the INTP is simultaneously the "laziest" and the "smartest" type of them all. Bill Gates and Albert Einstein. Certain things about them being relatable.

Ever meet someone who is so much unlike you that, although you don't hate them at all, it's hard to be around them because they are so completely different?

This guy had to be the complete opposite... he asked me if I was interested in trivia, since he was playing some trivia game on his phone.

"Hell no," was what I wanted to say. Why waste your time with scattered little facts that have absolutely no substance when you can spend it analyzing how systems/things work?

And his motto was "Work hard, play hard." Every time I hear that, I puke a little on the inside. Same with the cringey phrase "work ethic." I really don't understand why work for the sake of work is valued so much.

Mirror Image

These tests aren't conclusive and have as much weight as reading what your zodiac sign actually means. Simply a waste of time.

greg

Been looking up INTP youtubers...

Here's the best example I've seen. This is exactly how it would go if I made a youtube video about INTP.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3EmZd1AE41s

"Hello! Umm...." (i've seen a few where they don't even have any sort of intro)

"Yeah..." 5 minutes later, a confident sentence. "So, how it works is... ummm..." fidgets and plays with face. Stares off into space to collect thoughts. 5 minutes later. "And it happened like that!"

The ellipsis... not only used constantly in writing, but also in speaking.  :(

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2017, 09:16:59 PM
These tests aren't conclusive and have as much weight as reading what your zodiac sign actually means. Simply a waste of time.
Source?

Not saying that one type is 100%, but one type can explain a lot.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on March 20, 2017, 10:16:51 PM
Source?

Not saying that one type is 100%, but one type can explain a lot.

The fact that you're putting a lot of stock into this says more about you than anything else.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2017, 05:42:22 AM
The fact that you're putting a lot of stock into this says more about you than anything else.
And that doesn't answer how they are "inconclusive." If they are inconclusive, it means you don't know how to answer the quizzes or that you are some rare type that is balanced in everything.

One of the things that pushed me into the career field I am into now (computer programming) is based on a personality test I took while in high school. I believe it might have resulted in INTJ instead of INTP, but a recommended career for either of those is programming. The only reason I'm not dealing with major depression is because I now have a job suited towards my personality, unlike any job in the service industry, where you have to pretend to give a shit about other people all the time, which is as tiring as manual labor all day (which I've also done).

Also... making the discovery that the personality type I'm attracted to most is ENFP.  :P ;D ENFP girls = love

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on March 21, 2017, 07:27:32 PM
And that doesn't answer how they are "inconclusive." If they are inconclusive, it means you don't know how to answer the quizzes or that you are some rare type that is balanced in everything.

One of the things that pushed me into the career field I am into now (computer programming) is based on a personality test I took while in high school. I believe it might have resulted in INTJ instead of INTP, but a recommended career for either of those is programming. The only reason I'm not dealing with major depression is because I now have a job suited towards my personality, unlike any job in the service industry, where you have to pretend to give a shit about other people all the time, which is as tiring as manual labor all day (which I've also done).

Also... making the discovery that the personality type I'm attracted to most is ENFP.  :P ;D ENFP girls = love

It doesn't matter to me whether they're conclusive or inconclusive, Greg. As I mentioned, these kinds of things are a complete waste of time and you're putting too much stock into this whole thing.

By your logic, Astrology actually means something and so do fortune tellers. Give me a break... ::)

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2017, 07:54:05 PM
It doesn't matter to me whether they're conclusive or inconclusive, Greg. As I mentioned, these kinds of things are a complete waste of time and you're putting too much stock into this whole thing.

By your logic, Astrology actually means something and so do fortune tellers. Give me a break... ::)
Astrology isn't even remotely related.

Btw, take the test. I have a feeling you're INFJ. If so, congratulations, since that's the rarest type.

amw

I'm dating a psych student and yeah, this isn't really used at all in psychology anymore, has been pretty much superseded by the five factor model. (wiki overview)

That said, it can be kind of fun if you accept it as being outdated science that doesn't really prove much anymore. 16personalities says I'm an INFP-T. The description is almost completely off base, though. The "how to recognise each cognitive function" page suggests I'm more of an ENFP which makes a bit more sense.

I'm also a sagittarius with pisces moon and gemini ascendant and some other thing I forgot.
>.>

Jay F

Quote from: greg on March 21, 2017, 08:45:01 PM

Btw, take the test. I have a feeling you're INFJ. If so, congratulations, since that's the rarest type.
That's what I am, INFJ.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on March 21, 2017, 08:45:01 PM

Okay, I took the quiz and yes I'm an INFJ. I didn't bother reading what all this personality type entails, but I'm not sure how accurate it can be.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2017, 09:16:59 PM

hear Hear.  Online, they are a waste of time and a line in to your computer to gather up any information they can so the multiple advertisers on the site can better figure out what to pitch to you.  Almost all internet quizzes are loaded for bear this way.  Bah!
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

North Star

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on March 22, 2017, 02:22:55 AM
hear Hear.  Online, they are a waste of time and a line in to your computer to gather up any information they can so the multiple advertisers on the site can better figure out what to pitch to you.  Almost all internet quizzes are loaded for bear this way.  Bah!
Yeah - it's basically all bs, but at least you might get slightly less annoying ads.  :P
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

greg

Quote from: amw on March 21, 2017, 09:00:25 PM
I'm dating a psych student and yeah, this isn't really used at all in psychology anymore, has been pretty much superseded by the five factor model. (wiki overview)

That said, it can be kind of fun if you accept it as being outdated science that doesn't really prove much anymore. 16personalities says I'm an INFP-T. The description is almost completely off base, though. The "how to recognise each cognitive function" page suggests I'm more of an ENFP which makes a bit more sense.

I'm also a sagittarius with pisces moon and gemini ascendant and some other thing I forgot.
>.>
Cool, I've heard of the Big Five and may have even done some tests with it and just don't remember. I'm sure there are definitely some better systems out there.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Okay, I took the quiz and yes I'm an INFJ. I didn't bother reading what all this personality type entails, but I'm not sure how accurate it can be.
I'm not sure I understand the type too well myself. I just went through each letter and based on what I know about you through our interactions, I chose accordingly.

Told my friend today he is blatantly ESTP- not sure if he'll take the test, but pretty confident.  :P Some people I really can't figure out, though- they are a bit too balanced.

And just for fun, I also discovered a page that lists MBTI's for anime characters. I predicted my favorite character would be ENFP. I was correct, and that wasn't even the only character I like with that type. Which is IMO the most fun and lovable type.  :-*

I think the tests are unnecessary for the most part tbh. It's just a matter of addition. Which is why I find it interesting- it's being more descriptive in a short amount of time. It would be a better way to start, for example, creating the base of a character's personality. ESTJ, or whatever, is much more descriptive than just "likes routine."

instrumentation + harmony + rhythm + etc. = musical genre

Just replace with letters and then equal to type.

(being characteristically INTP here, spontaneously being absorbed in this subject and breaking down the mechanics of how it works until something else catches my attention)  :P

greg

So three years have passed and I just retook the test and got INTJ-A.

This is the same type Ben Shapiro got, and... watching that like two minutes of his video is what made me want to retake it. The answers I chose where different from his at first, so kinda surprising I ended up with the same type. Also because he talks about 1000 times faster than I do. (on the type system with 512 types he does have a different type, although he scored as introvert he is quite less so).

Before, I was INTP-T. But I think the entire change was because when I got into the test, it was a time where I wasn't sure of what to do after work, but now I'm sticking to the same goals. Doing so I think increases conscientiousness and lowers neuroticism, which is what that changes.

Attached image
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Anyone wanna have so fun?
Single Enneagram tests in your area want to are looking for a good time.

So it's been a few years since taking the Enneagram and I got the same results as I did before:

Enneagram Five with a Four-Wing: "The Iconoclast"

My full results:

Quote63% Match

Type 1 can be thought of as The Perfectionist. Ones place a lot of emphasis on following the rules and doing things correctly.

46% Match

Type 2 can be described as The Giver. Twos want to be liked and find ways that they can be helpful to others so that they can be loved and belong.
Three

69% Match

Type 3 is also known as The Achiever. Threes want to be successful and admired by other people, and are very conscious of their public image.
Four

90% Match

Type 4 is known as The Individualist. Fours want to be unique and to live life authentically, and are highly attuned to their emotional experience.
Five

98% Match

Type 5 is described as The Investigator. Fives seek understanding and knowledge, and are more comfortable with data than people.

70% Match

Type 6 is also known as The Skeptic. Sixes are preoccupied with security, seek safety, and like to be prepared for problems.
Seven

68% Match

Type 7 is described as The Enthusiast. Sevens want to have as much fun and adventure as possible and are easily bored.
Eight

80% Match

Type 8 is also known as The Challenger. Eights see themselves as strong and powerful and seek to stand up for what they believe in.
Nine

50% Match

Type 9 is also called The Peacemaker. Nines like to keep a low profile and let the people around them set the agenda.

QuoteType Five in Brief

Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable

Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

Enneagram Five with a Four-Wing: "The Iconoclast"

Enneagram Five with a Six-Wing: "The Problem Solver"

Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

link:
https://www.truity.com/test/enneagram-personality-test

greg

https://www.crystalknows.com/enneagram/type-5-wing-4

QuoteIn summary, Enneagram 5w4 personalities tend to...
Be guarded or withdrawn from others
Seek new skills and knowledge
Curiously explore new environments
Prefer being by themselves
Fear being helpless or incapable

Common jobs for people with Enneagram 5w4 personality types
Engineer
Novelist
Composer
Accountant
Author
Inventor
Scholar
Auditor
I don't think Accountant or Auditor is accurate, why are they even there?
But the rest are hilariously accurate. Tech and creative stuff both...

QuoteEnneagram 5w4s tend to be motivated and energized by...
Learning a valuable new skill
Developing their understanding of the world
Time to reflect and think on their own
Feeling appreciated and admired

Enneagram 5w4s tend to be stressed and drained by...
Spending too much time around others
Feeling overwhelmed and incompetent
Being unable to adequately express themselves
Criticism from those around them

greg

So which anime character am I?

Here ya go:

https://www.personality-database.com/profile/2860/lain-iwakura-serial-experiments-lain-mbti-personality-type

Not only are people voting her as the same type as me using three different systems (MBTI and enneagram here, neurotyping on the subreddit), but just if I had to purely guess, she is the one I'd choose:
Lain Iwakura from Serial Experiments Lain

It's cool when your purely subjective guess and popular opinion align, which IMO demonstrates the strength of the typing systems.

(someone even mentioned type 8 as the "tritype" and that is mine as well... totally the anime girl version of me)  :D :P

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

greg

Quote from: Florestan on September 18, 2020, 03:36:42 AM
I've got INFP-A.

https://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality
Cool.

I think most people, including me, who get into these typology systems really start to dislike some of the description, especially INFP and INFJ.

Like wtf is that frolicking in the forest part for INFP? lol

There's many subtypes within one type (if you refer to other typing systems), so that's probably the issue. Like INFP is probably the most common type for goths and metalheads, yet they show this fairy image stuff lol.