John Veale (1922-2006). Roy Harris's only British pupil.

Started by vandermolen, March 27, 2017, 12:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I've cleared my diary for the rest of the day to respond to all the postings here ( 8))

I thought that the Roy Harris mention might at least draw in my American friends here  8)

Veale had the misfortune to write approachable tonal music at a time when the fashion was for atonality. As such his music was ignored by the Glock regime at the BBC along with many other fine composers (Arnold, Alwyn etc).

The great discovery for me has been his Symphony 2 (1965) which, surprisingly shows the influence of Shostakovich - definitely worth a listen to if you haven't heard it - a powerful, moving and brooding score which I have played repeatedly. I'm just discovering the lyrical Violin Concerto (try the one by William Alwyn too - an unaccountably neglected score). I know we've discussed Veale on the 'British Composers' thread but I thought that he was worth a thread of his own:

[asin]B00Y3MP1D2[/asin]

I can't get the image of the Dutton CD featuring Symphony 2 to appear but here is the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Gardner-Symphony-Hybrid-Multi-channel/dp/B01HBTM7EE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490602179&sr=1-1&keywords=gardner+veale
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).