laid-back Lorenzo Perosi [1872-1956]

Started by Scion7, March 30, 2017, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Without doubt there is a sort of 'sameness' about a lot of his instrumental music.
This brings some amusement when listening to, say, the violin concerti.
I think of that line from Amadeus, " . . . well, you've learned a great many notes."
Then again, how many Catholic priest-composers have there been (Liszt doesn't count) ?

(Tortona, 1872-Rome, 1956) Italian composer. He studied in Milan and Regensburg, was musical director of the cathedral of Venice and, between 1898 and 1915, director of the choir of the Sistine Chapel. He helped to renew religious music by influencing the rule of Pius X. He wrote motets, psalms, masses and oratories ( The Resurrection of Christ , 1898, Final Judgment , 1904).

Chamber
========================

200 little pieces, clarinet, piano, 1928
18 string quartets, 1928–9
5 piano quintets, 1930–31
String Trios No.1, No.2
Sonata for viola & piano
Sonata for violin & piano 'piccola' , 1900
Pieces in C minor for cello & piano
Le cinque ore di Londra" for cello & piano, 1923
organ music

Orchestral
===============================

Concertino for small orch, 1901
Tema con variazione, 1902
Scherzo, piccolo, orchestra, 1902
2 violinn concertos, 1903, 1916;
Piano Concertos, 1916
Clarinet Concerto, 1928
Concerto for large orchestra
10 suites named after Italian cities, 1899–1918

[asin]B000076H27[/asin]

[asin]B000XHE9NY[/asin]

[asin]B00004W1HG[/asin]

[asin]B00004W1HF[/asin]

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B00005NYAJ[/asin]

[asin]B001AMCFKU[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Ken B

I have somewhere 3 discs of his church music, which I liked.

Florestan

Quote from: Scion7 on March 30, 2017, 01:56:26 PM
how many Catholic priest-composers have there been (Liszt doesn't count) ?

OTOMH: Monteverdi, Vivaldi, de Victoria, Agostino Steffani, Francesco Bonporti, St. Alphonsus Maria de' Liguori,  Romanus Weichlein (Benedictine monk), Domenico Zipoli (Jesuit). Not a composer but pivotal in the development of Western music: Guido d'Arezzo (Benedictine monk).

As for Perosi, I have quite a lot of his music but never listened to them except the violin concertos which I remember to be unmemorable (pun).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on March 31, 2017, 12:50:07 AM
OTOMH: Monteverdi, Vivaldi, de Victoria, Agostino Steffani, Francesco Bonporti, St. Alphonsus Maria de' Liguori,  Romanus Weichlein (Benedictine monk), Domenico Zipoli (Jesuit). Not a composer but pivotal in the development of Western music: Guido d'Arezzo (Benedictine monk).

As for Perosi, I have quite a lot of his music but never listened to them except the violin concertos which I remember to be unmemorable (pun).
I don't know if Monteverdi was really a 'priest-composer' - he was ordained a priest very late in his life, in preparation for its end, as seemed to be a custom back then. He did write his late works after that, of course, so it's obviously not entirely wrong to call him that, though - but while his life before priesthood was rather different from Liszt's, I don't think he's any more a priest-composer than Liszt was.

The one that comes to my mind is Padre Antonio Soler... If we're counting monks and nuns, that's Hildegard and a huge chunk of early music composers in general.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on March 31, 2017, 01:47:26 AM
I don't know if Monteverdi was really a 'priest-composer' - he was ordained a priest very late in his life, in preparation for its end,

He lived for yet another 11 years after being ordained. It must have been either a hasty preparation, or a long-awaited end.  :laugh:

as seemed to be a custom back then.

If you mean that back then it was a custom to ordain priest those who approached the end of their life then it is incorrect.

He did write his late works after that, of course, so it's obviously not entirely wrong to call him that, though - but while his life before priesthood was rather different from Liszt's, I don't think he's any more a priest-composer than Liszt was.

He composed music while being an ordained priest. If this doesn't qualify for being called a priest-composer, then what does, in your opinion?

The one that comes to my mind is Padre Antonio Soler

Good call.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

I searched your new avatar Andrei.  ???
QuoteUnul dintre cei mai cunoscuți seriâl killer români contemporani, Horia Mihail

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 31, 2017, 06:08:04 AM
I searched your new avatar Andrei.  ???

Unul dintre cei mai cunoscuți seriâl killer asasini în serie români contemporani, Horia Mihail

FTFY.

His is the typical countenance of one, ain't it?  ;D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on March 31, 2017, 06:00:45 AMHe lived for yet another 11 years after being ordained. It must have been either a hasty preparation, or a long-awaited end.  :laugh:

If you mean that back then it was a custom to ordain priest those who approached the end of their life then it is incorrect.
Yeah, I certainly didn't mean that all elderly wealthy/noblemen were ordained. Anyway, he was 65 when he took the orders, and plague killed 50,000 in Venice a year before - I doubt that he was certain he'd live for another 11 years. And he did take the better part of a decade before publishing new music.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr