What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2019, 09:44:24 PM
So is the Myto release the same as the live one on EMI/Warner?
Same date, but two different releases? Is there an additional one from Milano?

[asin] B007O5CMXC[/asin]

No it's the same one. The Warner sounds slightly clearer to me, but there's not a lot in it.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

JBS

Not this individual issue, but as CDs 18-20 of the Warner Complete Berlioz box, where CD 3 is filled out by the fragments of Nonne Songlante.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Tsaraslondon

I love Benvenuto Cellini. I love its energy and vitality.

I have the Davis recording with Gedda in top form as Cellini.

JBS

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 13, 2019, 01:23:20 AM
I love Benvenuto Cellini. I love its energy and vitality.

I have the Davis recording with Gedda in top form as Cellini.

I have besides this one Davis's second recording, the one on LSO Live. I remember liking it when I listened to it, but it's been a while since then. This Erato/Warner recording is, per the track listings, the first recording of the original Paris version (1838), so presumably there are some differences with Davis's recordings.

Moonfish

I decided to revisit Mozart's 'Le nozze di Figaro' with the help of the Pappano/McVicar 2006 production at the Royal Opera House.
Delightful in every way! A great surprise to me was the soprano Miah Persson with a splendid voice. She is doing a fantastic job as Susanna.  However, the overall quality of the production and the singing is excellent. Just finishing act 2. So much fun!!  8)
Has Miah Persson had any other major roles that are relatively easy to access in the realm of the opera?

[asin] B0028O34SG[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Wendell_E

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2019, 08:59:38 PM

Has Miah Persson had any other major roles that are relatively easy to access in the realm of the opera?

I've got the Blu-ray of the 2010 revival of the venerable Cox/Hockney Glyndebourne production of The Rake's Progress, with Persson as Anne Trulove. Highly recommended.

Closer to Figaro, she's the Fiordiligi in Yannick Nézet-Séguin's DG CD set of Così fan tutte. I haven't heard that one.

I only saw her once live, as the soprano soloist in Mahler's second, Haitink conducting the Chicago Symphony Opera. Come to think of it, that was released on the CSO's label, but I doubt anyone buys a Mahler 2nd just for the soprano.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Wendell_E on October 14, 2019, 02:49:51 AM
I doubt anyone buys a Mahler 2nd just for the soprano.

I did many moons, when still a callow youth. I bought the Klemperer recording because Schwarzkopf was on it. That was my introduction to Mahler, followed by the Schwarzkopf/Fischer-Dieskau/Szell Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Not a bad way to start out really. I still have both performances on CD.

Moonfish

Quote from: Wendell_E on October 14, 2019, 02:49:51 AM
I've got the Blu-ray of the 2010 revival of the venerable Cox/Hockney Glyndebourne production of The Rake's Progress, with Persson as Anne Trulove. Highly recommended.

Closer to Figaro, she's the Fiordiligi in Yannick Nézet-Séguin's DG CD set of Così fan tutte. I haven't heard that one.

I only saw her once live, as the soprano soloist in Mahler's second, Haitink conducting the Chicago Symphony Opera. Come to think of it, that was released on the CSO's label, but I doubt anyone buys a Mahler 2nd just for the soprano.

Thank for the recommendation, Wendell! I will definitely check out the Stravinsky opera - I have actually never seen/heard it so it will be an experience.   Err, I can see myself getting Mahler's 2nd for Miah Persson. Ha ha! I noted that she also sang in Ivan Fischer's recording of Mahler's 4th!!!! Hmmmmm

Here: https://youtu.be/QFgH1xBOoDU?t=2891

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 14, 2019, 03:15:42 AM
I did many moons, when still a callow youth. I bought the Klemperer recording because Schwarzkopf was on it. That was my introduction to Mahler, followed by the Schwarzkopf/Fischer-Dieskau/Szell Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Not a bad way to start out really. I still have both performances on CD.

I can definitely see how one would pursue a recording just to hear a small section with a favored vocalist. Sounds like a great start to Mahler's realm!
Anna Lappé

JBS

Moonfish

Quote from: JBS on October 14, 2019, 10:31:02 AM
Another dip into the Berlioz set

JBS,
I tend to gravitate towards Munch when it comes to Berlioz. How is the Nelson recording?
Anna Lappé

JBS

Quote from: Moonfish on October 14, 2019, 10:36:13 AM
JBS,
I tend to gravitate towards Munch when it comes to Berlioz. How is the Nelson recording?

It seems good, but I don't think I have heard the opera in full before.

I highly recommend HB's melodies to you. Much different from his grand orchestral stuff, and quite in line with later French melodistes.

Moonfish

Quote from: JBS on October 14, 2019, 10:43:52 AM
It seems good, but I don't think I have heard the opera in full before.

I highly recommend HB's melodies to you. Much different from his grand orchestral stuff, and quite in line with later French melodistes.

Thanks JBS. I certainly sense that I have neglected them. Somehow these "minor" works tend to fall between the cracks in one's listening habits. Besides, it seems like one really needs to search them out as well.  That is the beauty of these types of compilations, don't you think? "Unexplored" (or rather rarely visited/recorded) gems....
Anna Lappé

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Moonfish on October 14, 2019, 10:36:13 AM
JBS,

Like many, I gravitate to Davis, whose life long love of Berlioz really put the composer on the map in the 70s and onwards. He recorded pretty much everything Berlioz wrote, in many cases more than once. He was one of the first conductors to revel in Berlioz's, well weirdness would be a good word, rather than try to iron it out and  align him to the early nineteenth century tradition. Misunderstood during his lifetime, it seems to me he is quite often still musunderstood today. His music is so original. There really is nobody else like him.

Moonfish

So true Tsaraslondon. I don't know why Davis' name slipped my mind, but clearly he has put great emphasis on Berlioz's works and there are fortunately numerous wonderful recordings for us to enjoy. I tend to like his older recordings a bit more for some reason.
Anna Lappé

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Moonfish on October 14, 2019, 01:26:23 PM
So true Tsaraslondon. I don't know why Davis' name slipped my mind, but clearly he has put great emphasis on Berlioz's works and there are fortunately numerous wonderful recordings for us to enjoy. I tend to like his older recordings a bit more for some reason.

I tend to prefer the earlier Philips recordings too.

Mind you, there's an even earlier Davis recording of Béatrice et Bénédict first issued on L'Oiseau Lyre in 1963. The singers are April Cantelo, Josephine Veasy, Helen Watts, John Mitchinson, John Cameron, John Shirley-Qiork and Eric Shilling.

I've never heard it though.

JBS

Continuing with French opera but a different composer.
Possibly the epitome of grand opera
[asin]B00CD8SKGI[/asin]

I'm pretty sure I have never heard it before, outside of one scene (the end of Act IV) that was included in a CD of great duets.

Mirror Image

I'll be spinning this one very soon:

Moonfish

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 15, 2019, 01:17:43 AM
I tend to prefer the earlier Philips recordings too.

Mind you, there's an even earlier Davis recording of Béatrice et Bénédict first issued on L'Oiseau Lyre in 1963. The singers are April Cantelo, Josephine Veasy, Helen Watts, John Mitchinson, John Cameron, John Shirley-Qiork and Eric Shilling.

I've never heard it though.
This sounds enticing. It seems as if it is available in a digital MP3 format....
I wonder how it compares to other Davis recordings of the same work?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2019, 06:20:00 AM
I'll be spinning this one very soon:

Let us know how it compares with other renditions. You make me want to go and revisit the castle....!   >:D
Anna Lappé