What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on December 26, 2019, 12:04:00 AM
The first Britten opera I ever saw and the one that got me hooked on Britten. It's a tremendous work and I've never seen a bad production of it.

Do try also the composer's own recording with the cast of the premiere. The sound isn't up to that on Bedford's recording of course, but the singers are superb,  and David Hemmings is quite the best Miles you will ever hear.

TBH, I didn't like Britten's own recording of The Turn of the Screw, the sound quality just isn't up to snuff when this is an opera that relies so much on nuance and subtlety. It's a tremendous work, indeed and has become one of my favorite operas. I just love escaping into the sound-world this opera inhabits.

André

Musical felicities abound in this opera, but I still prefer to listen to the much longer Guillaume Tell. In any case, this is a good, solid Barbiere. I still hear in my mind's ears Almaviva's arias sung by Vanzo (in French), Una voce poco fa by Callas or even De los Angeles, but this set boasts my favourite La Calunnia, with Raimondi's  booming Basilio neatly abetted by Levine's orchestra - love the bass drum in 'come un colpo di cannone'. As usual the role of Berta is a drag and a letdown. It should be cut. Oh, and the harpsichord continuo is a bore.

JBS

Berta is a role that is best seen, acted by a singer who knows how to mime comedy. 
And in a way the whole opera that suffers if it is only heard, and not scene.  And my favorite pieces from it are the duets and ensembles, not the arias.
My favorite recording is the first one I got thirty years ago or more....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Que

KevinP

Peter Grimes.

First time yet. Britten's been a bit of a blind spot.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: KevinP on December 28, 2019, 01:52:39 AM
Peter Grimes.

First time yet. Britten's been a bit of a blind spot.

Which recording? It's been incredibly lucky on disc.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

KevinP

This one, but have also been listening to the Vickers on youtube.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: KevinP on December 28, 2019, 04:57:57 PM

This one, but have also been listening to the Vickers on youtube.

You can't really go wrong with Britten's own recordings, though I also have the Vickers/Davis and I'd be hard pressed to say which one I prefer.

T. D.

San Antone

Mirror Image

Strange seeing you listening to Verdi, San Antone. Verdi seems the very antithesis of what you normally listen to.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 29, 2019, 08:37:29 PM
Strange seeing you listening to Verdi, San Antone. Verdi seems the very antithesis of what you normally listen to.

You're the second person to make that comment.  Here's what I wrote in the Top 10 Favorite Composers thread

Quote from: San Antone on December 30, 2019, 03:29:40 AM
There was a time when I was listening to a lot of opera, and Verdi was always the composer whose works appealed to me the most.  Vocal music in general is a big interest to me, choral works more so than lieder.  I've been listening and thinking about Bach cantatas and then I plan on delving into the Wagner Ring, so returning to Verdi was a natural evolution.

Anyway, it may not last, but for now, it is nice to revisit some of the works I used to love.

8)

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 29, 2019, 08:37:29 PM

Mind you, as I pointed out in the main thread, Nadja Michael's Lady Macbeth is so awful, you'd get a very poor idea of what Verdi actually wrote. I know what he said about Lady Macbeth, but I'm sure he wanted someone who could at least sing the notes.

San Antone

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on December 30, 2019, 06:09:53 AM
Mind you, as I pointed out in the main thread, Nadja Michael's Lady Macbeth is so awful, you'd get a very poor idea of what Verdi actually wrote. I know what he said about Lady Macbeth, but I'm sure he wanted someone who could at least sing the notes.

I know the opera fairly well, and have a clear idea of what Verdi wrote; Macbeth is one of my favorites of his works. But, I am astounded that Biondi allowed her to record the role.  It mars what would otherwise be a great recording, IMO.  I prefer the opera prior to the changes made for the French production, and I really like Biondi's HIP orchestra. 

Michael's vocal performance is a not so bad as to render the recording useless, but the fact that it could have been better cast looms over it like a giant shadow.

8)

San Antone

Introverted

Quote from: San Antone on December 30, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

I like Verdi a lot too - I haven't heard I Lombardi before.
I may have to join you for some Verdi listening soon... :)

San Antone

Quote from: Introverted on December 31, 2019, 03:04:37 AM
I like Verdi a lot too - I haven't heard I Lombardi before.
I may have to join you for some Verdi listening soon... :)

It's not top shelf Verdi, but is worth a listen, and this new recording offers the best sound and the leads are decent.  The female singer is the best and raises the level of the recording above average.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: San Antone on December 31, 2019, 05:29:11 AM
The female singer is the best and raises the level of the recording above average.

Thar's good to hear, as I think Deutekom is the weak link in the old Gardelli recording.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on January 01, 2020, 03:01:21 AM
Thar's good to hear, as I think Deutekom is the weak link in the old Gardelli recording.

Sylvia Sass is very impressive on Gardelli's second I Lombardi recording, on Hungaroton.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain