Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 299874 times)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #2060 on: July 31, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
Ah, I was thinking that this was a new-to-me-one, but looking back, I see that it's on Warner, hence former EMI (with different cover).  It's one that I've been tempted to get in the past.  Have you noticed any differences in terms of remastering?  I've heard of horrible things in the past like lyrics/singing getting left out (cut)!   :( >:(  Any suggestions (going back to first question) as to best remaster of this one?

PD

The new Warner is taken from a different source and is a lot better than the EMI, which wasn't good at all. However the best master is on Divina https://www.divinarecords.com/dvn019/dvn019.html, though only available as a download at the moment.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #2061 on: August 01, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »

I used to own the Decca digital recording with Pavarotti, Freni and Ghiaurov but, for some reason, it appears to be no longer available as a download - certainly nowhere to be found on either iTunes or Spotify.

No matter, this recording is very good and in some ways betters its Decca rival. Caballé, who sings the smaller role of Helen on the Decca set, ia more vocally entitled Margherita than Freni and her singing is quite ravishing. On the other hand Josella Ligi can't hope to compare with Caballé as Helen. Domingo is in excellent voice as Faust and Rudel shapes the score very well indeed, especially in the Prologue. Which leaves the small matter of Mefistofele himself. Ghiaurov easily has the better voice, but Treigle does more with the role dramatically and sounds suitably demonic.

Quite incomprehensible to me why the opera is performed so rarely.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2062 on: August 01, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »
The new Warner is taken from a different source and is a lot better than the EMI, which wasn't good at all. However the best master is on Divina https://www.divinarecords.com/dvn019/dvn019.html, though only available as a download at the moment.
Thanks so much for the information!  I hadn't heard of Divina before now.

PD