Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 351097 times)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #2500 on: May 03, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
It is my intention to listen to the EMI version. I’m sure it must do the work better justice, what with these singers !

It certainly does.. I reviewed it on my blog some time ago http://tsaraslondon.com/2017/01/08/i-pagliacci/
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #2501 on: May 04, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »
First-Listen Tuesday and a new arrival...

Zemlinsky
Der Zwerg, Op. 17
Juanita Lascarro (soprano), Machiko Obata (soprano), Soile Isokoski (soprano), Natalie Karl (soprano), Martina Rüping (mezzo-soprano), Iride Martinez (soprano), Anne Schwanewilms (mezzo-soprano), Andrew Collis (bass), David Kuebler (vocals)
Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, Frankfurter Kantorei
James Conlon

I haven’t finished it, but first impressions are certainly favorable. Gorgeous music, but I have sneaking suspicion that the music will turn some dark corners later on.
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline Fritz Kobus

« Reply #2502 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:13 AM »
My favorite L'elisir.  The soprano on this is awesome. The other singers are excellent too.  This is also on DVD and well worth the watch.

I have mixed feelings about Sutherland  (and Pavarotti) but this is an awesome Sutherland performance and overall perhaps the best La Fille on CD:

For some reason I have not been pleased with the Italian version, La Figlia del Reggimento.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2503 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Sutherland  (and Pavarotti) but this is an awesome Sutherland performance and overall perhaps the best La Fille on CD:

I know it's bad form to quote oneself but I can't help it.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26890.msg1353161.html#msg1353161

What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2504 on: May 08, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »
Cross-posted:

Mascagni’s unsinkable one-acter in an excellent performance, full of drama yet played and sung with great refinement. I think that this may be due to its London origin (Covent Garden). Something more torrid and slightly unkempt would have been expected if its origin was italian. The soloists are mostly excellent. Great characterization by Baltsa. Juan Pons’ Alfio is smoothly sung but undercharacterized. He sounds more annoyed than raving mad about his being cuckolded. MacNeil and Panerai are more telling in the role.

What a wonderful work this is ! At slightly under 80 minutes it is perfectly shaped, chockfull of great tunes and with superb balance between solos, duets, orchestral bits and of course that magnificent chorus. For the first time I noticed how similar the cascading chords that close the opera are to the coda of Tchaikovsky’s Francesca da Rimini.

This is the performance DG included in its Opera Collection featuring Domingo. He made another performance of Cav, conducted by Prêtre. Presumably that was done for a filmed production similar to that of Pagliacci (a tepid, dully recorded performance). I’m glad DGG chose the Sinopoli instead.

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #2505 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:04 AM »
[Domingo] made another performance of Cav, conducted by Prêtre. Presumably that was done for a filmed production similar to that of Pagliacci (a tepid, dully recorded performance). I’m glad DGG chose the Sinopoli instead.

He also recorded it for RCA, with Scotto and Pablo Elvira, Levine conducting. Of course, that wouldn't be in a DGG box.

I haven't heard the recording you mention (I think I'll have to now), but perhaps the refinement you mention may be due to Sinopoli's influence?

I listened to quite a bit of Christa Ludwig last week: On the Met's Sirius/XM channel, they had a 1966 Frau ohne Schatten and a 1969 Rosenkavalier, both with Rysanek and Walter Berry, Böhm conducting. James King rounding out the Frosch quartet, Reri Grist as Sophie in Rosenkavalier, Gedda as the Italian Tenor. Also the Klemperer Fidelio, a German-language Carmen with Rudolf Schock and Hermann Prey, and the Suor Angelica with Sutherland. Haven't listened to her Bluebeard's Castle recording, but will soon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:09:06 AM by Wendell_E »
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2506 on: May 10, 2021, 04:00:25 AM »
He also recorded it for RCA, with Scotto and Pablo Elvira, Levine conducting. Of course, that wouldn't be in a DGG box.

I haven't heard the recording you mention (I think I'll have to now), but perhaps the refinement you mention may be due to Sinopoli's influence?

I listened to quite a bit of Christa Ludwig last week: On the Met's Sirius/XM channel, they had a 1966 Frau ohne Schatten and a 1969 Rosenkavalier, both with Rysanek and Walter Berry, Böhm conducting. James King rounding out the Frosch quartet, Reri Grist as Sophie in Rosenkavalier, Gedda as the Italian Tenor. Also the Klemperer Fidelio, a German-language Carmen with Rudolf Schock and Hermann Prey, and the Suor Angelica with Sutherland. Haven't listened to her Bluebeard's Castle recording, but will soon.

That would be my conclusion as well. Sinopoli’s operatic performances are powerfully dramatic yet highly polished, with long singing lines the rule. I’m a big fan of his Forza del destino, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, Frau ohne Schatten etc.

Offline Fritz Kobus

« Reply #2507 on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:36 AM »
Over the weekend L'elisir d"Amore (listed by Adinas):

Esposito
Devia
Gheorghiu
Cotrubas
Sutherland

As good as all these are, the Esposito set (conducted by Muus, live and on DVD) is so good that I have no reason to listen to the others. One that I will continue with though is the sung-in-English CHANDOS set, which is actually pretty good IMO:

Offline Fritz Kobus

« Reply #2508 on: May 11, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #2509 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
Cross-posted from the ‘Listening’ thread -

Now onto Disc 2:

Strauss
Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59
Christa Ludwig, Lucia Popp, et. al.
Wiener Philharmoniker, Chor der Wiener Staatsoper
Bernstein

Finished with Act II. This is shaping up to be so much better than Solti’s performance on Decca. I’ll resume with Act III either later on tonight or tomorrow morning.
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton