Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 475019 times)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #3040 on: May 06, 2022, 04:45:26 PM »
Looking forward to Verdi's Rigoletto on Sunday, from Opera Philadelphia.

https://www.operaphila.org/whats-on/on-stage-2021-2022/rigoletto/

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline absolutelybaching

• Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #3041 on: May 07, 2022, 02:15:05 AM »
Because of this last Tuesday, the recording inevitably followed today!

(And since it's probably not obvious, the first photo is of me holding the manuscript full score of Britten's Death in Venice in the reading room of the Red House Archive, Aldeburgh).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 03:13:49 AM by absolutelybaching »

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #3042 on: May 08, 2022, 02:58:41 PM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:31:51 PM by Que »

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #3043 on: May 09, 2022, 04:12:13 AM »
And by extention:

Bit of a Barber kick lately.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #3044 on: May 09, 2022, 08:28:41 AM »

I often wonder why this opera has not been revived more often. I also wonder why Renée Fleming appears not to have sung it. It would have suited her brilliantly.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #3045 on: May 13, 2022, 11:12:06 AM »
Teresa Berganza in memoriam:

In 1957, still only 24 at the time, made her debut at the Aix-en-Provence Festival as Dorabella in Così fan tutte. This was probably her first major international engagement, and opened the door to a long and very distinguished career. The cast was stellar: Aix stalwarts Teresa Stich-Randall and Hans Rosbaud are joined by Luigi Alva, Rolando Panerai, Marcello Cortis and Mariella Adani. Berganza (who I believe was singing her rôle for the first time, and years later went on to record it commercially under Solti) had been preceded as Dorabella at Aix by Nan Merriman, who had recorded the role under Karajan).

Even at this early stage of her career, all the features that made “Teresona” so unique (namely, the beautiful, velvety voice, a superb technique, and a captivating personality that can be felt from her singing alone, without the need to see her onstage) are there. The rôle of Dorabella of course doesn’t permit her to dazzle us with one of her other strengths, the coloratura she was extraordinarily deft at; for that we have to listen to her Rossini recordings. But this is superb singing, and the whole performance is of the highest quality.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:14:20 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #3046 on: May 14, 2022, 05:14:19 AM »

I only once saw this opera, in a superb production by David Pountney at the English National Opera, with Josephine Barstow and Philip Langridge as Katerina and Sergey (oh what heady days were those). Without visual stimulus it can be quite a difficult listen, but this recording is really fantastic. This was the first recording of the orginal score and, if I remember correctly, it won a well-earned Gramophone Award, and probably many others too. Vishevskaya and Gedda could hardly be bettered and Rostropovich brings out the lyrcism as well as the violence in the score. The recording rather favours the voices and, by this time in her career, Vishnevskaya could sound a bit shrill above the stave. There is no doubting, though, that she is the star of the recording, even when it is so well cast as it is here, with Gedda outstanding as Sergei.

Offline absolutelybaching

• Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #3047 on: May 14, 2022, 10:33:16 AM »

I only once saw this opera, in a superb production by David Pountney at the English National Opera, with Josephine Barstow and Philip Langridge as Katerina and Sergey (oh what heady days were those).

I was there for that too! Excellent production: the massed ranks of the troops in their smart overcoats on the scaffolding has lodged deep in my brain!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936)
« Reply #3048 on: May 14, 2022, 07:16:39 PM »

I only once saw this opera, in a superb production by David Pountney at the English National Opera, with Josephine Barstow and Philip Langridge as Katerina and Sergey (oh what heady days were those). Without visual stimulus it can be quite a difficult listen, but this recording is really fantastic. This was the first recording of the orginal score and, if I remember correctly, it won a well-earned Gramophone Award, and probably many others too. Vishevskaya and Gedda could hardly be bettered and Rostropovich brings out the lyrcism as well as the violence in the score. The recording rather favours the voices and, by this time in her career, Vishnevskaya could sound a bit shrill above the stave. There is no doubting, though, that she is the star of the recording, even when it is so well cast as it is here, with Gedda outstanding as Sergei.

This is an excellent recording the best I can remember, but I'm planning on revisiting this opera soon, but I'll be giving this recording a listen (an acquisition made earlier this year or late last year):

“I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.” - Gustav Mahler

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #3049 on: May 14, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »
This is an excellent recording the best I can remember, but I'm planning on revisiting this opera soon, but I'll be giving this recording a listen (an acquisition made earlier this year or late last year):

I'm assuming that recording is of the censored score, when Shostakovich made changes to satisfy the Soviet authorities. The Rostropovich was the first recording of the original score and he was only able to make it because, by that time, he was residing in the West.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #3050 on: May 20, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »

Sibelius's short (35 minutes) opera is an early work and this is its first recording. It works well enough on disc, but I'm not sure it would be particularly dramatic on stage.