Conte Alberto - Robert Gambill
Ernestina - Monica Bacelli
Martino - Alessandro Corbelli
Don Eusebio - Stuart Kale

Conductor - Gianluigi Gelmetti
Orchestra - Stuttgarter Rundfunkorchester

Director - Michael Hampe

Schwetzingen Festival, 1992

This is superb. Traditional costumes and make-up, respectful of the time and place, no Regietheater absurdities (I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Robert Gambill looked exactly like Donizetti in his prime). Strong cast, all singers in top form. Exceptional (and I mean it) acting, especially with respect to facial expressions --- in particular Alessandro Corbelli as a frightened and confused servant is a delight to watch. Spirited and exact orchestral playing from the Stuttgarters under Gelmetti. A most enjoyable and hugely entertaining production. Highly recommended.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

(Cross post from the WAYLTN thread)

Rossini: La cambiale di matrimonio

Tobia Mill, an English merchant – Paolo Bordogna | BARITONE
Fanny, his daughter – Désirée Rancatore | SOPRANO
Edward Milfort, Fanny's lover – Saimir Pirgu | TENOR
Slook, a Canadian merchant – Fabio Maria Capitanucci | BARITONE
Norton, Mill's clerk – Enrico Maria Marabelli | BARITONE
Clarina, Fanny's chambermaid – Maria Gortsevskaya | MEZZO-SOPRANO

Orchestra Haydn Di Bolzano E Trento
Umberto Benedetti Michelangeli | CONDUCTOR

Luigi Squarzina | DIRECTOR
Giovanni Agostinucci | SETS AND COSTUMES
Tiziano Mancini | VIDEO DIRECTOR

Another corker of a production, this time from Pesaro in 2006. Beautiful costumes, make-up and stage set, also free from Regietheater abominations. Excellent singing and acting from all. Orchestra in very good form, the continuo playing quite imaginative (appropriate use of Ein Maedchen oder Weibchen and Non piu andrai) and decidedly non-intrusive. An hour and a half of pure, unadulterated and unpretentious joy. Highly recommended.

Florestan

(Cross post from the WAYLTN thread)

Rossini - Il Signor Bruschino

Alessandro Corbelli - Caudenzio
Amelia Felle - Sofia
Alberto Rinaldi - Bruschino (father)
Vito Gobbi - Bruschino (son)
David Kuebler - Florville
Giuseppe Maria Foppa - libretto
Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra
Gianluigi Gelmetti - conductor
Michael Hampe - Stage Director

Schwetzinger Festspiele 1989

Decidedly, the Schwetzingen productions are greatly to my taste. Everything is just as it should be. And I fell in love with Alessandro Corbelli's voice and acting, both very strong in all productions I've watched. Alberto Rinaldi, too, is an excellent Bruschino Sr, bemused, befuddled and humiliated most of the time save in the final scene when he triumphantly and jubilantly turns the tables on Gaudenzio. As usual, highly recommended.

ritter

A work I haven't listened to in ages: Berlioz's Béatrice et Bénédict (conducted by John Nelson).

VonStupp

Ildebrando Pizzetti
Murder in the Cathedral

Christa Ludwig
Hilda Zadek
Hans Hotter
Gerhard Stolze
Walter Berry

Vienna State Opera - Herbert von Karajan

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Richard Wagner: Lohengrin. Rudolf Kempe, Wiener Philharmoniker und Staatsopernchor

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 15, 2023, 02:05:01 PM

Richard Wagner: Lohengrin. Rudolf Kempe, Wiener Philharmoniker und Staatsopernchor
An awesome choice! Kempe's recording is the first Lohengrin I've ever listened.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vers la flamme

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 15, 2023, 02:34:21 PMAn awesome choice! Kempe's recording is the first Lohengrin I've ever listened.

Me too, in fact this is the first time I've ever listened to it in full. Loved it, Jess Thomas was incredible in the title role.

Pohjolas Daughter

Listened to a broadcast from the Met today of Mozart's Don Giovanni.  Made time to accompany it with the libretto (for the first act anyway).  Enjoyed it overall and enjoyed the interviews during the intermission.

When I looked at the Met's website, I was pleased to see that they had some videos and photos from that opera performance.  If interested, you can check it out here:  https://www.metopera.org/season/2022-23-season/don-giovanni/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Crossposting from the WAYLTN thread:

Richard Wagner
Der fliegende Holländer

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Wendell_E

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 20, 2023, 01:57:36 PMListened to a broadcast from the Met today of Mozart's Don Giovanni.  Made time to accompany it with the libretto (for the first act anyway).  Enjoyed it overall and enjoyed the interviews during the intermission.

When I looked at the Met's website, I was pleased to see that they had some videos and photos from that opera performance.  If interested, you can check it out here:  https://www.metopera.org/season/2022-23-season/don-giovanni/

PD

I saw it "Live in HD", after hearing a couple of previous performances on Sirius/XM. Loved it!
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 22, 2023, 12:56:39 AMI saw it "Live in HD", after hearing a couple of previous performances on Sirius/XM. Loved it!
Oh, nice!  I haven't been to one of those Met opera "Live" performances in years.  I should check out the schedule.  :)

By the way, how packed was the theater?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wendell_E

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 22, 2023, 04:15:16 AMOh, nice!  I haven't been to one of those Met opera "Live" performances in years.  I should check out the schedule.  :)

By the way, how packed was the theater?

PD

I see them in Daphne, Alabama, and the theatre's never packed. Maybe 20-25 at the most. I think it was about 15 for Don Giovanni. There were only two of us at Rosenkavalier this season, but there were technical difficulties and we both got refunds even for concession items.

There's one more this season, on June 3rd, the new production of Die Zauberflöte conducted, like Don Giovanni, by Nathalie Stutzmann. My least favorite of the big seven Mozart operas, but with Stutzmann and in interesting-looking production I'll definitely be going.

This summer's encores are unusually interesting, though I already have all of the but Barbiere on DVD:

July 26
Philip Glass's Akhnaten

August 2
Verdi's Il Trovatore
Sondra Radvanovsky, Marcelo Álvarez,  Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Marco Armiliato conducts.

August 9
Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia
Isabel Leonard, Lawrence Brownlee, Christopher Maltman, Michele Mariotti conducts.

August 16
Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin
Renée Fleming, Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Valery Gergiev conducts.

and next season:

JAKE HEGGIE / LIBRETTO BY TERRENCE MCNALLY
Dead Man Walking
SAT, OCT 21, 2023 12:55 PM

ANTHONY DAVIS / LIBRETTO BY THULANI DAVIS / STORY BY CHRISTOPHER DAVIS
X: The Life and Times of Malcolm X
SAT, NOV 18, 2023 12:55 PM

DANIEL CATÁN
Florencia en el Amazonas
SAT, DEC 09, 2023 12:55 PM

GIUSEPPE VERDI
Nabucco
SAT, JAN 06, 2024 12:55 PM

GEORGES BIZET
Carmen
SAT, JAN 27, 2024 12:55 PM

GIUSEPPE VERDI
La Forza del Destino
SAT, MAR 09, 2024 12:55 PM

CHARLES GOUNOD
Roméo et Juliette
SAT, MAR 23, 2024 12:55 PM

GIACOMO PUCCINI
La Rondine
SAT, APR 20, 2024 12:55 PM

GIACOMO PUCCINI
Madama Butterfly
SAT, MAY 11, 2024 12:55 PM
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 23, 2023, 08:29:49 AMI see them in Daphne, Alabama, and the theatre's never packed. Maybe 20-25 at the most. I think it was about 15 for Don Giovanni. There were only two of us at Rosenkavalier this season, but there were technical difficulties and we both got refunds even for concession items.

There's one more this season, on June 3rd, the new production of Die Zauberflöte conducted, like Don Giovanni, by Nathalie Stutzmann. My least favorite of the big seven Mozart operas, but with Stutzmann and in interesting-looking production I'll definitely be going.

This summer's encores are unusually interesting, though I already have all of the but Barbiere on DVD:

July 26
Philip Glass's Akhnaten

August 2
Verdi's Il Trovatore
Sondra Radvanovsky, Marcelo Álvarez,  Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Marco Armiliato conducts.

August 9
Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia
Isabel Leonard, Lawrence Brownlee, Christopher Maltman, Michele Mariotti conducts.

August 16
Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin
Renée Fleming, Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Valery Gergiev conducts.

and next season:

JAKE HEGGIE / LIBRETTO BY TERRENCE MCNALLY
Dead Man Walking
SAT, OCT 21, 2023 12:55 PM

ANTHONY DAVIS / LIBRETTO BY THULANI DAVIS / STORY BY CHRISTOPHER DAVIS
X: The Life and Times of Malcolm X
SAT, NOV 18, 2023 12:55 PM

DANIEL CATÁN
Florencia en el Amazonas
SAT, DEC 09, 2023 12:55 PM

GIUSEPPE VERDI
Nabucco
SAT, JAN 06, 2024 12:55 PM

GEORGES BIZET
Carmen
SAT, JAN 27, 2024 12:55 PM

GIUSEPPE VERDI
La Forza del Destino
SAT, MAR 09, 2024 12:55 PM

CHARLES GOUNOD
Roméo et Juliette
SAT, MAR 23, 2024 12:55 PM

GIACOMO PUCCINI
La Rondine
SAT, APR 20, 2024 12:55 PM

GIACOMO PUCCINI
Madama Butterfly
SAT, MAY 11, 2024 12:55 PM
Thanks for the schedule.  Rather bitter sweet to see Hvorostovsky's name in there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Revisiting Rossini's Bianca e Falliero, a melodramma (with happy end) to a libretto by Felice Romani, which was the last opera Rossini composed for La Scala in Milan (where it was premiered in 1819). Starry cast of Marilyn Horne, Katia Ricciarelli, Chris Merritt et al., conducted by Donato Renzetti, and recordad live at the 1986 Pesaro Festival.

Some wonderful moments, but also some long quarters of an hour...  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 25, 2023, 05:49:13 AMRevisiting Rossini's Bianca e Falliero, a melodramma (with happy end) to a libretto by Felice Romani, which was the last opera Rossini composed for La Scala in Milan (where it was premiered in 1819). Starry cast of Marilyn Horne, Katia Ricciarelli, Chris Merritt et al., conducted by Donato Renzetti, and recordad live at the 1986 Pesaro Festival.

Some wonderful moments, but also some long quarters of an hour...  ;)

;D

Lisztianwagner

Alban Berg
Lulu

Pierre Boulez & Orchestre de l'Opéra de Paris

First listen to the complete opera.

Papy Oli

Verdi - La Traviata
(Callas, Myto recording)

Olivier

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 09, 2023, 11:08:50 PMVerdi - La Traviata
(Callas, Myto recording)

Though not in her best voice (she was reportedly suffering from a cold) this is, in my belief, Callas's greatest recorded Violetta, a performance so shattering that it takes us out of the theatre and presents us with a real life tragedy. Her colleagues are excellent here too. It's one of those rare performances where all the elements come together to create great art.

Callas's Covent Garden Traviata
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lisztianwagner

Ludwig van Beethoven
Fidelio, act 2^

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker