What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E

Quote from: André on March 20, 2018, 04:55:30 AM
How do you like Elisabetta, Wendell ? I found it to be more interesting musically than I expected.

Not enough to actually buy a recording, but I have rented a DVD from Netflix (with Lella Cuberi, Daniela Dessi, Rockwell Blake, and Antonio Savastano, Gabriele Ferro conducting) a couple of times, and liked it well enough. In general, I do prefer serious Rossini to comic. Actually, serious opera to comic.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Tsaraslondon

This recording was made at Covent Garden, with Janet Baker stepping in for an ailing Jospehine Veasey. Baker had been singing the role of Didon with Scottish Opera, but they were doing the opera in English and she didn't have time to learn the role in French. Consequently she sings in English, whilst everyone else around her sings in French.

The Covent Garden revival of 1972 reverted to English, with Josephine Veasey now taking on the role of Cassandre. However that performance, also available from Opera Depot, is cut, whereas this one is complete.

Good though Veasey is on Davis's first studio recording, Baker has that something extra, and it is a shame she was not engaged for the recording. Anja Silja here is also a great improvement on Berit Lindholm, who sings on the studio recording. That said Davis I remains my first choice for a studio recording, though I do like the new Nelsons recording as well.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

kishnevi

Cato

After many years, and after the great praise seen recently under the composer's name....

[asin]B00P8QENQS[/asin]

I do not recall the precise recording through which I first heard the work in the 1960's or early 1970's: possibly it was imported from Poland?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kishnevi

First listen to this recording.Now in the final act.
[asin]B0788XWJN5[/asin]

anothername

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 23, 2018, 12:15:51 PM

First listen ever to this opera.

Did they do a bit of remastering or is it the same horrible sound as the first release?

kishnevi

Quote from: anothername on March 24, 2018, 08:44:34 PM
Did they do a bit of remastering or is it the same horrible sound as the first release?

It seems to be the original 1989 mastering, to go by the booklet.
Honestly, I thought the sonics were more than acceptable, any "problems" originating in the simple fact that it was a live recording.

kishnevi

Tonight, some verisme from 1894

Short enough to fit on one CD, although it is technically a two-act opera.

anothername

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 27, 2018, 07:32:52 PM
Tonight, some verisme from 1894

Short enough to fit on one CD, although it is technically a two-act opera.

It was about bloody time for this release.

Tsaraslondon

Barber's Vanessa has never managed to claim a foothold on the repertoire, and it will be interesting to see whether the new Glyndebourne production this year will change its fortunes.

Maybe part of the opera's problem is the fact that the main character (and the most sympathetic) is actually Erika.

This starry recording, which replicates the cast of its first, starry performance at the Met, is certainly a classic and well worth hearing.

Tsaraslondon

I was fortunate enough to see Dernesch as Leonore with Scottish Opera, and was so impressed I bought the Karajan recording soon afterwards. However, when I came to buy a version on CD, I bowed to popular opinion and opted for the Klemperer. All I can say is I was profoundly disappointed. Karajan's performance seems to me more brilliantly, incisively dramatic, with superb performances from all the soloists, not least Dernesch's gleamingly radiant Leonore.

It remains my Fidelio of choice.

Tsaraslondon

I seem to be the only person contributing to this thread at the moment.

Well, no matter.

Baker is probably better known for her Handel, Berlioz and Mahler, but she was also an appreciable bel canto singer. She made her US debut singing Smeton in a concert performance of Anna Bolena, and also scored a great personal success as Maria in Maria Stuarda with the English National Opera, and here she makes a superb Romeo.

Sills is also excellent, and, it seems to me, much more suited to the gentle lyricism of the role of Giulietta than she ever was to roles like Norma and the Tudor Queens, in which, for all her musical intelligence and dramatic acumen, the voice lacks the requisite weight and grandeur.

Gedda's tenor could sound a little hard at this point in his career, but, for such an unpleasant character, this is not inapt.

Patané conducts a lyrical, but dramatically alive performance. Recommended.

king ubu

Quote from: André on March 20, 2018, 06:11:21 AM
Geez, that label has THREE double-bill issues of historic performances:

Chea-pest-o CD-Rs, too ... bet they'd lament how they'd love to do proper but, but, but ... the kind of stuff that when I end up receiving it by accident, I rip to my HD first thing (I bought one of their sets, will buy no others).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Tsaraslondon

Callas's La Scala Norma capped 1955, the year when voice and art found their truest equilibrium, with her best recorded Norma which, by default, makes it the greatest Norma you're ever likely to hear. This performance finds her in top form, on a night when everything seemed to be going right, eliciting audible gasps of disbelief from the audience.

Votto may not be the most inspired of conductors, but he knows how to support his singers. Simionato, Del Moncao and Zaccaria are all on top form and this Divina transfer is superb. It should be in all serious collectors' collections.

kishnevi

Your image link is not working. Is the cover above the recording you are talking about?

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 31, 2018, 08:17:26 PM

Your image link is not working. Is the cover above the recording you are talking about?

Yes it is. The image was showing up fine on my pc, but I've tried re-posting it anyway. Hope it's showing up to everyone now.

knight66

I am listening to Teresa Berganza. Her recent birthday brought her back into my mind. Once at the top of her part of the tree, Rossini, Mozart and Spanish song, her public recognition seemed to fade abruptly once she retired. I had forgotten the sap in her tone, the warm darkness of the mezzo and her superb technique. So, Mozart opera arias.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: knight66 on April 01, 2018, 03:34:26 AM
I am listening to Teresa Berganza. Her recent birthday brought her back into my mind. Once at the top of her part of the tree, Rossini, Mozart and Spanish song, her public recognition seemed to fade abruptly once she retired. I had forgotten the sap in her tone, the warm darkness of the mezzo and her superb technique. So, Mozart opera arias.

Mike

Odd that you should mention that after my Callas post. Only the other day, I came across a charming interview with Berganza on youtube, in which she describes what it was like for her, as a young singer starting out, to sing alongside Callas in Medea in Dallas.

https://youtu.be/Hd-ixjbPxOI

ritter

Quote from: knight66 on April 01, 2018, 03:34:26 AM

Mike
Oh yes! A superb artist, outstanding in every way. "Warm darkness" is spot-on as a description of her voice... A national treasure here in Spain.  :)

Tsaraslondon

A superb cast (with particularly wonderful singing from Grümmer) brilliantly conducted by Keilberth has ensured that this set has retained its classic status.