What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anothername

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 20, 2017, 02:41:43 AM
It's a rather large topic to discuss here, which is really just a listeners' thread. If his music doesn't interest you, then that might just be down to personal taste.

As it happens, I also love Berlioz (Wagner not so much, though I appreciate his greatness), and I think his Les Troyens is one of the greatest masterpieces of opera ever written. That said, I know others who just think it's one long bore and no pleading on my part will make the slightest difference.

Verdi has his own thread, by the way, so you could start by taking a look at that and maybe posting your question there.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,425.0.html

And the best one can get, stunning cast and recording.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Another Bergonzi recording - like his work (may have to seek out more of his recordings in future).

Autumn Leaves

Recent listening:

I was listening to Solti's Rheingold on the weekend so I thought I'd give this one a try too and I was really suprised by how good it was (it does'nt seem to be a top pick for this work on the internet AFAIK..).
Enjoyed the Janowski Rheingold so now continuing with Die Walkure.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Janowski is such a fantastic Wagner conductor. Brilliant, but not given a great deal of praise for his truly excellent recordings.....his more recent ones on Pentatone are some of my favourite recordings of Wagner ever made.

king ubu

Re: "Les Troyens", "the two" Colin Davis recordings are the two studio/official ones, I assume? There are more by him that seem to be bootleg:
http://www.operadis-opera-discography.org.uk/CLBZTROY.HTM
Haven't listened to any recording of this opera (nor to a live performance), but I have Dutoit (1993) and Davis (LSO live 2002) on my shelves. Should I look for the earlier Davis as well?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: king ubu on May 22, 2017, 01:09:20 AM
Haven't listened to any recording of this opera (nor to a live performance), but I have Dutoit (1993) and Davis (LSO live 2002) on my shelves. Should I look for the earlier Davis as well?

Both the earlier studio Davis recordings are, I think, superb, but I marginally prefer his studio cast, Vickers and Veasey in particular, though Janet Baker would have been even better (to judge from her EMI recording of the final scenes).

Dutoit isn't in the same league, I'm afraid.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

king ubu

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 22, 2017, 06:37:05 AM
Both the earlier studio Davis recordings are, I think, superb, but I marginally prefer his studio cast, Vickers and Veasey in particular, though Janet Baker would have been even better (to judge from her EMI recording of the final scenes).

Dutoit isn't in the same league, I'm afraid.
Philips 1969 and ...?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: king ubu on May 22, 2017, 01:09:20 AM
Re: "Les Troyens", "the two" Colin Davis recordings are the two studio/official ones, I assume? There are more by him that seem to be bootleg:
http://www.operadis-opera-discography.org.uk/CLBZTROY.HTM

Of Davis' two commercial recordings, only one is studio (Philips). The 2002 is live (LSO Live). As far as Dutoit's, I have it and love it. It's a fine achievement, as is all of Dutoit's Berlioz. That said, Davis' Philips studio effort is a solid first choice. Great "Berlioz" feel, great cast, and fantastic sound, eclipsing that of LSO Live's (the Barbican is a dud, acoustics-wise).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

king ubu

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 22, 2017, 03:01:22 PM
Of Davis' two commercial recordings, only one is studio (Philips). The 2002 is live (LSO Live). As far as Dutoit's, I have it and love it. It's a fine achievement, as is all of Dutoit's Berlioz. That said, Davis' Philips studio effort is a solid first choice. Great "Berlioz" feel, great cast, and fantastic sound, eclipsing that of LSO Live's (the Barbican is a dud, acoustics-wise).
Okay, thanks - let's see if Universal will reissue the Philips one eventually ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: king ubu on May 22, 2017, 09:18:16 PM
Okay, thanks - let's see if Universal will reissue the Philips one eventually ...

Perhaps in a box set of other Colin Davis Berlioz recordings? Somehow I think that is much more of a possibility than a reissue of that Les Troyens alone, in a nice box and with a printed libretto.

king ubu

Quote from: jessop on May 22, 2017, 09:29:42 PM
Perhaps in a box set of other Colin Davis Berlioz recordings? Somehow I think that is much more of a possibility than a reissue of that Les Troyens alone, in a nice box and with a printed libretto.

Not sure, as single operas in cheapo editions are still popping up regularly ... but a reissue of this would be an option I guess:

(They could also add the bits they left off the "complete" orchestral & sacred box.)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Listening to one of my favourite things at the moment

Spineur

I had this dvd in its sealed box for close to a year.  After seeing the snow maiden also staged by Tcherniakov, I started to watch this production, which is a bit on the dark side.

The cast is dominated by Tatania Monogarova in the key role of Fevronia

[asin]B005RY7NBS[/asin]

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: jessop on May 21, 2017, 08:48:53 PM
Janowski is such a fantastic Wagner conductor. Brilliant, but not given a great deal of praise for his truly excellent recordings.....his more recent ones on Pentatone are some of my favourite recordings of Wagner ever made.

Managed to listen to Janowski's ring this week and I was very impressed - agree he's a great Wagner conductor! :).

Autumn Leaves

Today's listening:

Listening to this work again - think this is one of the best Karajan recordings in my collection (really like his Cavalleria Rusticana too).

Good good :)

king ubu

Caught the final night of the repeat of "Macbeth", done last season with Teodor Currentzis conducting (he chickened out from this year's gig and had Maxim Emenchyalev jump in (a local newspaper review that didn't like it at all created the rumour that Currentzis didn't conduct because of the silly production ... I wasn't of that same opinion). For the repeat, Gianandrea Noseda took over and did a very good job. Never saw the opera before, and with this amazing production got a perfect start, I think. Minimalist stage setting, lots of off voices (witches, most of the choir, except for the lame scene in the fourth act that has to be staged of course), very little "action", as the director, Barrie Kosky, read the piece as taking place mostly in the heads of the Macbeths ... Tatiana Serjan and Dalibor Jenis were magnificient in the main roles, the rest kept up well, but of course is of much less importance to this opera. Serjan was part of the original production already, but Jenis obviously owned his part just as much. Some more impressions in German over here, as usual:
http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/2017/05/verdi-macbeth-jenis-serjan-noseda-kosky.html

Now playing the recording of "Macbeth" to be found in here:

Callas and Mascherini at La Scala in 1952, cond. Victor de Sabata. Have the Leinsdorf, Gardelli, Abbado and Muti lined up, too, for later.

When I got home last night, I needed a break, then watched a short portrait of ... Teodor Currentzis' (of course) that had been lying on our TV box for months (I'm being scolded for that all the time, but the mood has to be right for all things music, no?) - fascinating of course, in both positive and negative ways - guess he ranks with the most extreme dictator=conductors, there's even a scene where Vito Priante who voiced his opinion while they were recording "Don Giovanni", had to publicly apologize ... kinda practiced Stalinism, but of course dressed in - you may say disguised as - nowadays cloth of true bondism and friendship and all that fake "social" crap ... either way, as the "Macbeth" from the set above will be over in a few minutes, watching that documentary, which was shot the time that Currentzis and his forces re-did "Don Giovanni" (the first production a year before was left in the can as Currentzis felt it wasn't right - so finally I got to hear what caused that delay), has me curious to finally listen to this a first time, it has been on the pile since its release:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: king ubu on May 27, 2017, 04:45:57 AM
Caught the final night of the repeat of "Macbeth", done last season with Teodor Currentzis conducting (he chickened out from this year's gig and had Maxim Emenchyalev jump in (a local newspaper review that didn't like it at all created the rumour that Currentzis didn't conduct because of the silly production ... I wasn't of that same opinion). For the repeat, Gianandrea Noseda took over and did a very good job. Never saw the opera before, and with this amazing production got a perfect start, I think. Minimalist stage setting, lots of off voices (witches, most of the choir, except for the lame scene in the fourth act that has to be staged of course), very little "action", as the director, Barrie Kosky, read the piece as taking place mostly in the heads of the Macbeths ... Tatiana Serjan and Dalibor Jenis were magnificient in the main roles, the rest kept up well, but of course is of much less importance to this opera. Serjan was part of the original production already, but Jenis obviously owned his part just as much. Some more impressions in German over here, as usual:
http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/2017/05/verdi-macbeth-jenis-serjan-noseda-kosky.html

Now playing the recording of "Macbeth" to be found in here:

Callas and Mascherini at La Scala in 1952, cond. Victor de Sabata. Have the Leinsdorf, Gardelli, Abbado and Muti lined up, too, for later.

Good stuff KU :) - I've listened to Macbeth a couple of times but Im not really familiar with it at all: I must try and re-visit this one at some stage.

Listening to some Verdi tonight too:

Sublime recording - I would dearly love to get that big Karajan Opera box on DG but it is beyond my budget at the moment.. :'(

Drasko

Quote from: king ubu on May 27, 2017, 04:45:57 AM
Caught the final night of the repeat of "Macbeth", done last season with Teodor Currentzis conducting (he chickened out from this year's gig and had Maxim Emenchyalev jump in

Maybe he just fancied better another gig? Don't know exactly what days was that Macbeth run but Currentzis is at the moment conducting the finale of Diaghilev Festival in Perm with super starry cast - Natalia Osipova as the Firebird and Diana Vishneva as Petrushka (would love to see that!)

http://diaghilevfest.ru/en/programme/detail/4824

on topic:

king ubu

Quote from: Draško on May 27, 2017, 05:39:45 AM
Maybe he just fancied better another gig? Don't know exactly what days was that Macbeth run ...

It was "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" that he let go (official version was he fell ill, I don't know anything more, but you never really know anyway). He did the first run of this "Macbeth" production and got great reviews.

Serail was this here:
http://www.opernhaus.ch/vorstellung/detail/die-entfuehrung-aus-dem-serail-06-11-2016-18491/

I enjoyed it a lot, but then I love Olga Peretyatko, and the whole ensemble was pretty fine. On top of that the stage production made sense to me as a whole, even if I didn't consider every aspect of it to be good.

Reaching the end of the "Don Giovanni" now ... not going to be my favourite recording by a stretch, but there's lovely playing and some mighty fine singing here. I've always liked Karina Gauvin, and I think Kenneth Tarver as Don Ottavio is stunning!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Quote from: Conor71 on May 27, 2017, 05:10:56 AM
Listening to some Verdi tonight too:

Sublime recording - I would dearly love to get that big Karajan Opera box on DG but it is beyond my budget at the moment.. :'(

That's a recording I've not yet heard ... but one of the Verdi operas I'm quite familiar with (the others being: Don Carlo, La Traviata, Rigoletto, and to a somewhat lesser extent La forza del destino, Nabucco, Il Trovatore ... and yes, that means I've never yet heard Un ballo in maschera - I actually might have, live 20 years back, can't say for sure -, Otello and Simon Boccanegra ... Falstaff I've heard live 20 years ago, I know, but somehow that opera so far doesn't do a lot for me ... also got recordings of a few lesser known ones ready: Il Corsaro, I Due Foscari, Ernani, Giovanna d'Arco, I Lombardi, Luisa Miller, I Masniaderi, I Vespri Siciliani, though I guess that one may be one of the better knowns, all things considered? And the French Don Carlos by Abbado has been waiting for a while, too) ... and actually I just realise the Leinsdorf recordings of "Macbeth" from the "Great Recordings" and the "Verdi at the Met" boxes don't seem to be identical ... the former lacks to provide recording dates, lousily, but the timings differ quite a bit, provided we have the same cast and forces and probably within a year or so.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!