What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

How do you balance a heavy Wagner diet?
With this

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Aribert Reimann: Medea

A more recent work of his (premiered in 2010 at Vienna State Opera) and I have only heard Lear out of everything he has composed, so it's nice to explore his works more.

Tsaraslondon

Sound isn't great of course, but the coruscating brilliance of Callas's performance burst through like a scorching blaze of fire.

Fuller review on my blog https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2017/06/07/1986/
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

James

this over the last few wks, and will continue for many, many more ..

[asin]B000GYI2U0[/asin]
Action is the only truth

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on June 07, 2017, 02:37:05 AM

Sound isn't great of course, but the coruscating brilliance of Callas's performance burst through like a scorching blaze of fire.

Ah, a different Medea to the one I listened to....how is the treatment to the plot? Which source is this opera based on mostly?

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: jessop on June 07, 2017, 04:26:45 AM
Ah, a different Medea to the one I listened to....how is the treatment to the plot? Which source is this opera based on mostly?

I'm not sure whether you meant a different composer or a different performance.

Callas only ever sang Cherubini's Medea, which is based on Euripides. It starts from when Medea arrives in Corinth and follows Euripides pretty closely after that.

Spineur

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on June 07, 2017, 02:37:05 AM

Do you know these Callas recordings with Bernstein and Tulio Serafin?

[asin]B0009S2FP6[/asin]

[asin]B00KTQD836[/asin]

kishnevi

Spineur, note his avatar.

You are addressing THE Callas Expert of GMG.

I think the only way he could increase his devotion to her would be to travel back in time and become her lover.  >:D

Spineur

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 07, 2017, 12:11:41 PM
Spineur, note his avatar.

You are addressing THE Callas Expert of GMG.

I think the only way he could increase his devotion to her would be to travel back in time and become her lover.  >:D
I know !! This is why I am kindly asking Tsaras to make a comparison between these recordings. Actually, I would be really interested in a good recording of the french version which has all the recitative.  The compiegne version is OOP and not that good from what I have heared.  The modern adaptation on DVD from La monnaie is more interesting, although judging from the cover it may not be my cup of tea (the inked arm among other things).

[asin]B009ETI48S[/asin]

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on June 07, 2017, 12:36:47 PM
...Actually, I would be really interested in a good recording of the french version which has all the recitative. 

Well, there's this one...

[asin]B0015XQKF0[/asin]
...but sadly, it's not really any good.  :(

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Spineur on June 07, 2017, 11:27:37 AM
Do you know these Callas recordings with Bernstein and Tulio Serafin?

[asin]B0009S2FP6[/asin]

[asin]B00KTQD836[/asin]

The Bernstein performance, once issued by EMI and to be included in the Warner Live Opera Box out in September, is a justly famous one. Callas is in terrific voice, and interest lies in the different textual choices taken by Gui and Bernstein, and the differences in their approach, Gui more Classical, Bernstein verging on the Romantic. Gui also gives us more of the score. The sound is better on the Bernstein, and is best sampled on Ars Vocalis (if you can find it) or Myto.

The Serafin is a studio performance, recorded in stereo in 1957, and, for that reason, enjoys the best sound of all. Serafin's conducting is disappointingly staid, and Callas is not in her best voice. However she is incapable of being dull, and I was happy enough with this performance until I heard some of the live versions.

My favourite of all is from Dallas in 1958, with Rescigno conducting, Vickers as Giasone, Berganza as Neris and Zaccaria as Creon. Though Callas's voice doesn't have the heft it had in Florence under Gui, and at La Scala under Bernstein, her concept of the part is more subtle, and it was recorded on a night when she was on top form. Some say that the vitriol she poured out was aimed at Bing, who had just cancelled her Met contract. Whatever it was, it finds her singing with more security than at any other time in 1958. Again. it's best to look for Ars Vocalis or Myto.

Spineur

Thank you Tsaras !   This really finished convincing me that the warner live box was really worth getting.  Her mexico city performance of Aida is quite famous as is her Lisbon Traviata.  I have her Visi d'Arte from this performance on a CD but that's it.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on June 07, 2017, 07:13:08 AM
I'm not sure whether you meant a different composer or a different performance.

Callas only ever sang Cherubini's Medea, which is based on Euripides. It starts from when Medea arrives in Corinth and follows Euripides pretty closely after that.

A different opera, the post I made right above yours is Medea by Aribert Reimann. The Reimann one is based on a play by Franz Grillparzer which I think is just another version of the same story. Reimann adapted the work for his opera and retold it in a contemporary setting. The opera is only seven or eight years old by now, but I would be interested to know what you think if you have found the time to hear it or see it since then. :)

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Feeling a little bit tentative about posting this - I get the impression Puccini isn't much liked around GMG? (I enjoy his music a lot so will essentially be posting stuff about him whether it bothers other people or not.. >:D ;D).
Excellent recording - all the cast are in fine form.. :).

kishnevi

No, no, Puccini gets some respect here
TD
Haydn
La Vera Constanza
Dorati conducting Jessye Norman et al.

A very Mozartean tinge to this one.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 07, 2017, 06:37:31 PM
No, no, Puccini gets some respect here

Ahhh thats great Jeffrey, thanks for letting me know (feeling better already!) :D.

anothername

Quote from: Conor71 on June 07, 2017, 06:31:50 PM
Now playing:

Feeling a little bit tentative about posting this - I get the impression Puccini isn't much liked around GMG? (I enjoy his music a lot so will essentially be posting stuff about him whether it bothers other people or not.. >:D ;D).
Excellent recording - all the cast are in fine form.. :).

That is putting it mild, the best around .
full stop.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Don Carlo on June 07, 2017, 08:37:29 PM
full stop.
It's my favorite too, but there are some other quite outstanding ones.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Contemporaryclassical

Quote from: Don Carlo on June 07, 2017, 08:37:29 PM
full stop.

Would you recommend it to a seasoned listener getting into Puccini's music?

anothername

Quote from: Webernian on June 07, 2017, 09:03:49 PM
Would you recommend it to a seasoned listener getting into Puccini's music?

I do, together with the outstanding Butterfly recording ( same principal singers), I would say: go for it