What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Webernian on June 07, 2017, 09:03:49 PM
Would you recommend it to a seasoned listener getting into Puccini's music?

It's certainly one of the best around, and the sound is excellent, but I would not want to be without this one

or this one

Both are in mono only, but the sound is very acceptable, if not in the demonstration class (like the Karajan).

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Der Fliegende Holländer, WWV 63

First listen Fridays :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Great fun. A remarkable score, a bizarre and rather funny plot with excellent music to match.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Another first listen..

kishnevi

Quote from: jessop on June 09, 2017, 05:53:40 AM
Great fun. A remarkable score, a bizarre and rather funny plot with excellent music to match.

I keep getting tempted by a used DVD of that in the local used CD store. I think it was filmed during the original​ production.  Problem is, what I have heard by Henze has not appealed to me.   You might be more interested.

TD
First Listen Friday

My set came used (from that same CD store, in fact) with no booklet, so I am relying on Wikipedia to follow the storyline.

kishnevi

Re Henze
I don't see the DVD on Amazon. But this LP issue had the same cover image.

I would guess your CD is the reissue of this, and the DVD is the film version.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Well I guess no music is for everyone. Der junge Lord has a rather large range of styles that Henze used for the purpose of the drama whilst still being remarkably true to his own style of writing. Perhaps it could be this mixture of neo-classical, neo-romantic and other styles that people might not be so fond of?

kishnevi

Quote from: jessop on June 09, 2017, 02:38:19 PM
Well I guess no music is for everyone. Der junge Lord has a rather large range of styles that Henze used for the purpose of the drama whilst still being remarkably true to his own style of writing. Perhaps it could be this mixture of neo-classical, neo-romantic and other styles that people might not be so fond of?

It was the violin concertos that I tried and didn't like.  Whichever style(s) he used there.

To be honest, I was chiefly concerned that if I got the DVD, it would simply join the unwatched pile of DVDs.

But I thought you might be interested in it, if you ever come across it. (It's obviously long OOP.)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 09, 2017, 04:01:53 PM
It was the violin concertos that I tried and didn't like.  Whichever style(s) he used there.

To be honest, I was chiefly concerned that if I got the DVD, it would simply join the unwatched pile of DVDs.

But I thought you might be interested in it, if you ever come across it. (It's obviously long OOP.)
Ah I do like the violin concertos haha. And yes I think a Henze DVD would be something I'd seek out. 8) the one I'd most like to see is The Bassarids, but with the original libretto by Auden. I think the German translation is more often performed but I don't know for sure....anyway it's one of those Apollonian vs Dionysian plots which I love so much. I don't know if it's on DVD...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 09, 2017, 10:33:34 AM
Re Henze
I don't see the DVD on Amazon. But this LP issue had the same cover image.

I would guess your CD is the reissue of this, and the DVD is the film version.
Just noticed that this cover has a huge spoiler in the image that points out the twist ending. :laugh:

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

First time listening to Böhm's Ring Cycle - sounds pretty good for an old live recording!.
Edit: Just listened to the first couple of Discs today (I'll finish it off later as after taking a break I felt like continuing with something different) but I was essentially impressed with what I heard so far and thought it was a strong version..

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Been listening to excerpts from this recording the last few days - I really like this (Cotrubas and Domingo are wonderful!)..

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Haven't heard this one before so now would be the time to check it out I think

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 10, 2017, 01:37:39 AM
I haven't heard that but Kurt Weill's works are always excellent  8)
For someone who has such mixed feelings about opera in general you should read up about what he was doing here. You might like it.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 10, 2017, 01:59:13 AM
Of course I know the Alabama Song  ;) but just the opera as a whole. Kurt Weill's music (like Gershwin) is very close to my heart, I'm surprised I haven't heard the whole thing yet  ???

What do you think of it?  :)
Well I am only listening to it for the first time on spotify and I find the music quite enjoyable.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 10, 2017, 02:09:21 AM
Alright  :) I think I'm gonna put it on my to-do list  ;D

Btw, have you ever heard his symphonies?

I have but not since 2013 when I was was listening to a lot of Krenek, Weill, Hindemith, Eisler etc

Spineur

Richard Strauss Der Rosenkavalier
Carlos Kleiber Bayerischen Staatsoper.

Production director Otto Schenk

[asin]B0009I8PHI[/asin]

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Listening to this again - terrific recording ( theres essentially nothing to complain about!).

anothername

Just purchased this set, starting with: La Boheme.