What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Don Carlo on June 10, 2017, 08:54:09 PM

Just purchased this set, starting with: La Boheme.

Good stuff that looks like a nice set (I noticed it may have gone OOP as it is now very expensive..).
Do you think "Webernian" will ask you for a recommendation about this one? (j/k sort of.. ;)).
I purchased the Stereo version of Tebaldi's La Boheme on Decca earlier in the week - is that the one you are listening to?.
Anyway would love to know what you think of it..

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Conor71 on June 10, 2017, 09:13:52 PM
Good stuff that looks like a nice set (I noticed it may have gone OOP as it is now very expensive..).
Do you think "Webernian" will ask you for a recommendation about this one? (j/k sort of.. ;)).
I purchased the Stereo version of Tebaldi's La Boheme on Decca earlier in the week - is that the one you are listening to?.
Anyway would love to know what you think of it..
You didn't ask me but it's a very fine version with Tebaldi and Bergonzi. I very much like the contrast of Bergonzi with Pavarotti/Bjorling. Bergonzi has such a sweet voice here. Sound isn't ideal, but Serafin does a wonderful job with the orchestra and crafting the ideal atmosphere. It does have a very Italian feel, full of nuance (something I miss from Pav/Freni/Karajan at times, as beautiful as that one is).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 10, 2017, 09:31:03 PM
You didn't ask me but it's a very fine version with Tebaldi and Bergonzi. I very much like the contrast of Bergonzi with Pavarotti/Bjorling. Bergonzi has such a sweet voice here. Sound isn't ideal, but Serafin does a wonderful job with the orchestra and crafting the ideal atmosphere. It does have a very Italian feel, full of nuance (something I miss from Pav/Freni/Karajan at times, as beautiful as that one is).

Thanks neal I appreciate your response - I have been trawling this section of the forum lately and I remember you responded (or were the OP?) of the thread about the passing of Bergonzi a few years back.
I have a few of his recordings already and think them to be excellent - I am really looking forward to that recording of La Boheme now! :).

Autumn Leaves

Recent listening:

Listened to Act 1 from this recording for the first time - I loved it! (a predictable response perhaps): At this stage I am saying that it's as good as it's reputation would suggest.

Now playing:

Picking up (from a little bit before) were I left off yesterday..

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Birtwistle's early operatic masterpiece

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Giving this work another listen - enjoying it so far (though I suspect it will take me many more listens to get the most out of it).

Later:

Will be listening to this work for the first time (not sure if I will have time for all of it today so possibly to be continued..).

anothername

Quote from: Conor71 on June 10, 2017, 09:44:30 PM
Thanks neal I appreciate your response - I have been trawling this section of the forum lately and I remember you responded (or were the OP?) of the thread about the passing of Bergonzi a few years back.
I have a few of his recordings already and think them to be excellent - I am really looking forward to that recording of La Boheme now! :).

As the rest is already be commented  by others, I only can say,buy it, he was one of the best tenors the world ever seen, no matter what anyone else saying.Just remeber one of the Met gala's where he sung in his 70ties, and still as  clears as crystal .

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Don Carlo on June 11, 2017, 08:50:10 PM
As the rest is already be commented  by others, I only can say,buy it, he was one of the best tenors the world ever seen, no matter what anyone else saying.Just remeber one of the Met gala's where he sung in his 70ties, and still as  clears as crystal .

I purchased the recording already - I was just curious to know what you thought about it (as you are endorsing it that would seem to answer my question however so thanks ;)).

Jaakko Keskinen

That Sawallisch recording of Lohengrin was the first one I heard and I'm afraid that it was the reason for my lack of enthusiasm for the opera back then. When I heard Kempe's on the other hand, I fell in love with it.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I highly recommend Sir Mark Elder's recording of Lohengrin. The best I've heard, particularly the cast.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Alberich on June 12, 2017, 05:23:39 AM
That Sawallisch recording of Lohengrin was the first one I heard and I'm afraid that it was the reason for my lack of enthusiasm for the opera back then. When I heard Kempe's on the other hand, I fell in love with it.
Quote from: jessop on June 12, 2017, 06:05:09 AM
I highly recommend Sir Mark Elder's recording of Lohengrin. The best I've heard, particularly the cast.

Alright Guys - thanks for your replies and suggestions :).
Im finding the Sawallisch acceptable so far - Im a bit wary of getting more Wagner recordings ATM (as I have a lot unlistened to) but yes, I'll keep your recommendations in mind.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Continuing with this recording - now listening to Act 3.

kishnevi

Found this in the used CD shop for $5.99.
Never heard of this early Rossini (1812).  But Amazon reveals there are four other recordings, plus a DVD.  This apparently was the first recording, on Vanguard, and includes Jose Carreras.
Initial impression: If you like Rossini, get one of the recordings, although I doubt you need more than one.

Wikipedia article including plot summary
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_pietra_del_paragone

anothername

I am going to sit down and watch this stunning Rusalka.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

This just arrived a couple of hours ago and now listening for the first time.
Almost finished the first Disc and enjoying it so far - Bergonzi and Tebaldi are great! :D.

Tsaraslondon

Fantastic transfer of this famous performance, a performance which changed the face of operatic history. This is absolutely where the bel canto revival started.

Callas is in fabulous form, and, though the opera is heavily cut, none of the Annas in the various studios sets (Sutherland, Sills, Souliotis, Gruberova) comes within a mile of her vocal and dramatic acumen and her supreme musicality. In the words of Richard Fairman in Opera on Record III, "she alone, of latter-day artists, has the power to grasp the emotional crux of every line and put it across."

Without doubt one of the most thrilling nights in Callas's career.

Review on my blog here https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2017/06/13/anna-bolena-la-scala-milan-april-14-1957/
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

ComposerOfAvantGarde

An oldie but a goody

The world premiere recording of Lear. I'll compare with a more recent one soon I hope.

anothername

Quote from: Conor71 on June 13, 2017, 12:14:06 AM
Now playing:

This just arrived a couple of hours ago and now listening for the first time.
Almost finished the first Disc and enjoying it so far - Bergonzi and Tebaldi are great! :D.

Did you buy the whole Tebaldi box or separated recordings?

kishnevi

Gluck as adapted by Wagner.

Just beginning, so it's hard to say what changes Wagner made.

Autumn Leaves