What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 01, 2022, 03:17:40 AM
Cross post from the WAYLTN thread.

Three acts into it. This recording is marred by an execrable French diction from everybody, including the choir. This is a huge drawback because in grand opera the visuals are as important as the music and while listening to a recording one can use imagination to supply them ---  if and only if one understands what is being sung, that is. In this respect, the very obtrusive stage sounds are actually an asset because they give a vague idea about what is going on. Also, the vocal score is audibly taxing for Warren Mok (Robert) who not infrequently delivers shrieks and shrills instead of singing. To do full justice to this opera one needs a super-stellar cast and this is far from being the case here.
Seek no more...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Classrev/2022/Nov/Meyerbeer-Robert-BZ1049.htm

Bonsoir, cher Andrei!

JBS

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 07, 2022, 07:27:42 AM

My one recording of Die Meistersinger, which I bought principally for Schwarzkopf's Eva. Hopf is a bit efforful and Edlemann makes a few errors in a role he was singing for the first time, but it's obviously an excellent performance, though the sound isn't great.

I should really get a good stereo recording too, but the Kubelik, which seems to be the prime recommedation, is hard to come by and rather expensive when you do.

I'd suggest Solti's first recording or Karajan's EMI recording.  Both of them have Kollo as Walther.

My first suggestion would be actually Knappertsbusch's Decca studio recording, but I'm pretty sure that's mono.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: JBS on November 07, 2022, 05:43:05 PM
I'd suggest Solti's first recording or Karajan's EMI recording.  Both of them have Kollo as Walther.

My first suggestion would be actually Knappertsbusch's Decca studio recording, but I'm pretty sure that's mono.

Someone on another site also recommended Sawallisch. Do you know it?
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

JBS

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 08, 2022, 01:25:12 AM
Someone on another site also recommended Sawallisch. Do you know it?

I've got it--from what I remember it's good enough but nothing to be enthusiastic about.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Tsaraslondon

I listen to this set mostly for Callas's Kundry, which has a lot more to offer than pure curiosity value. However, I realise that when it comes to Wagner, the sound and the orchestral contribution are far more important to me than they are in Italian opera and consequently I prefer to listen to recordings in relatively modern sound. Though Gui does a fine job, the orchestra is more dimly recorded than it is on many pre-war 78s so my ear gets tired. It will be a pleasure to turn to my other recording, the Karajan studio recording, despite a less than adequate Kundry.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: JBS on November 08, 2022, 03:22:46 AM
I've got it--from what I remember it's good enough but nothing to be enthusiastic about.

That appears to be Ralph Moore's verdict too. He recommends Solti's first recording for a studio recording, but is also quite apprecative of Karajan's Dresden recording. I'm a bit allergic to Solti (though I do like his Tannhäuser) so the Karajan might be the one I end up going for.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

bhodges

Not listening at the moment, but this weekend will hear Britten's The Turn of the Screw for the first time, staged by the Curtis Opera Theatre. Much looking forward, to say the least.

https://www.curtis.edu/curtis-performances/opera/turn-of-the-screw/

-Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 16, 2022, 10:49:10 AM
Not listening at the moment, but this weekend will hear Britten's The Turn of the Screw for the first time, staged by the Curtis Opera Theatre. Much looking forward, to say the least.

https://www.curtis.edu/curtis-performances/opera/turn-of-the-screw/

-Bruce
Oh, cool!  Don't believe that I've heard that opera before?  In any event, hope that you enjoy it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 16, 2022, 11:09:42 AM
Oh, cool!  Don't believe that I've heard that opera before?  In any event, hope that you enjoy it!

PD

It's for chamber orchestra, more lightly scored than some of his others. And I've heard from a few people who think it's his greatest opera, which is high praise, considering Billy Budd and Peter Grimes!

-Bruce

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Brewski on November 16, 2022, 11:23:53 AM
It's for chamber orchestra, more lightly scored than some of his others. And I've heard from a few people who think it's his greatest opera, which is high praise, considering Billy Budd and Peter Grimes!

-Bruce

The first Britten opera I ever saw and I've seen it on stage quite a few time now. It never fails to work its magic.

Tsaraslondon

These days Karajan's Wagner seems to come in for a lot of criticism, but I really enjoy this recording. The orchestral playing and the sound are absolutely superb and I don't have any serious complaints about the singers.

bhodges

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 16, 2022, 02:39:52 PM
The first Britten opera I ever saw and I've seen it on stage quite a few time now. It never fails to work its magic.

Key word: 'magic.' Wow, what an opera. Caught me a little off guard. Excellent young singers (all Curtis students) and an outstanding orchestra of 15 players, all led by conductor Michelle Rofrano. She really brought out the striking passages for piano, harp, and chimes, among many other things.

Great set by Steven Kemp, an all-black drawing room (including black flowers and potted plants!), with the cast clad in black as well. A very fine introduction to this piece, and I can see why it is so highly regarded.

-Bruce

Tsaraslondon

Just starting on the Ring, so that's my listening taken care of for a few days.

I had the Karajan on LP and always enjoyed it so just replaced it on CD when I made the switch. I still enjoy it, despite the fact that it gets a bad press these days. Orchestral playing and sound are wonderful and, all round, I think his cast is as good as any.

Tsaraslondon

Well I don't care what anyone says, I think this is terrific. Though I'm not sure Crespin would have been right for the later Brünnhildes, I think she is fine here and maybe better suited to this Brünnhilde to Sieglinde, which she sings on the Solti In any case Vickers has to be one of the best Siegmunds on disc. Stewart is in great voice and Veasey a fine Fricka. Janowitz injects a bt more passion into singing here than she often did.

Tsaraslondon

Still enjoying Karajan's Ring, though Siegfried is my least favourite of the tetrology. Maybe it's the fact that I have to wait so long before I hear a female voice, (though it doesn't bother me in Billy Budd haha!) Parts of Act I do go on a bit. I'm really quite pleased when Siegfried does away with Mime.

Orchestrally, Karajan's recording is really splendid and I also like his cast. One ridiculous review said that Siegried was outsung by Mime, but that's rubbish. Jess Thomas makes an ardently youthful Siegfried, Thomas Stewart continues his splendid Wotan from the previous set and the radiant Helga Dernesch takes over from Crespin for Brünnhilde.

Tsaraslondon

Coming to the end and I've really enjoyed this Ring. Brilioth may be no Melchior, but we'd be lucky to hear someone half so good today and I really like Dernesch's Brünnhilde. The rest of the cast is hardly to be sneezed at and the orchestral playing under Karajan is superb. I guess I'm one of the few people who prefers this set to the Solti.

Papy Oli

Verdi - Un ballo in maschera
Act I

Olivier

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 02, 2022, 05:48:05 AMVerdi - Un ballo in maschera
Act I

One of three new Warner digital issues. Do you know if this is a remastering or the same one as the last Warner set from 2014?

Papy Oli

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on December 02, 2022, 08:09:10 AMOne of three new Warner digital issues. Do you know if this is a remastering or the same one as the last Warner set from 2014?

I don't know Tsara. Idagio has both versions, I'll stream both more closely to see if there's any major sound differences. Sadly, neither Idagio nor Qobuz have the booklets available for those three latest "black" releases so no info to refer to either.
Olivier