Author Topic: Your One and Only Soulmate Composer  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Your One and Only Soulmate Composer
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »
who wished me dead yesterday in the Movies thread.

??? :-[ :( :'( Of course not, of course not, how come????
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Zama

• Currently Listening to:
    Mahler, Prokofiev, Sibelius
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2020, 03:24:00 AM »
Mahler for me too.

Nice post. Thanks.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
The one and only composer whose music, no matter how familiar or how new, unfailingly touches and stirs the deepest recesses of your soul...

The one and only composer whose music you feel encapsulates the whole gamut of human experience, from the darkest despair to the most exhilarating joy and everything in between...

The one and only composer whose music you feel to be the most humane, companionable and life-affirming...

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit my most immediate answer to all these questions is Philip Glass.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Popov, B. Tchaikovsky, Shchedrin, Dvořák, Martinů, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Honegger, Vaughan Williams, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2020, 02:20:09 PM »
The one and only composer whose music, no matter how familiar or how new, unfailingly touches and stirs the deepest recesses of your soul...

The one and only composer whose music you feel encapsulates the whole gamut of human experience, from the darkest despair to the most exhilarating joy and everything in between...

The one and only composer whose music you feel to be the most humane, companionable and life-affirming...[/b][/size].

For me, it’s merely a question of ‘coming home’ and ‘home’ in this sense can only be Debussy and no other. His music is like a safe haven and no matter what happens, I always remain completely fulfilled by his music. It’s really like a soothing balm for this troubled world that I can escape into and feel completely at peace with everything.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
For me, it’s merely a question of ‘coming home’ and ‘home’ in this sense can only be Debussy and no other. His music is like a safe haven and no matter what happens, I always remain completely fulfilled by his music. It’s really like a soothing balm for this troubled world that I can escape into and feel completely at peace with everything.

Very well put, John. Schubert it is for me.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Popov, B. Tchaikovsky, Shchedrin, Dvořák, Martinů, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Honegger, Vaughan Williams, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »
Very well put, John. Schubert it is for me.

8)
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 02:00:50 AM »
Now we have moved on to three composers I would add Mahler, who has obsessed me almost as much (possibly more) as Berlioz over the years and Beethoven. if I was banished to that fabled desert island I would take Mozart; it would be a big wrench to leave behind Vaughan Williams.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 01:54:16 PM »
if I was banished to that fabled desert island I would take Mozart

It goes without saying.  8)
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline Philoctetes

• One and one makes one.
    Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2020, 12:00:10 AM »
Liza Lim
"That wouldn't be believable. Well, not if you don't believe it" (Trick, 1999).

"You'd like me to be dumb and nothing more. Maybe you think that, but I don't. But that's how it should be" (Undertow, 2009).