Your Top 10 Favorite Opera Composers

Started by Jaakko Keskinen, April 14, 2017, 05:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: jessop on June 25, 2017, 03:43:48 AM
If you like Puccini and Wagner....maybe Schreker can be next to add to your list? ;D

Defintely! ;D

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Alberich on April 14, 2017, 05:50:47 AM
Any composer who has written even one single opera, counts.

Alright, sorry I should have read the opening post (I will retract my earlier statement..).
New list:

Bizet
Leoncavallo
Mascagni
Mozart
Puccini
Ravel
(R) Strauss
Tchaikovsky
Verdi
Wagner

:)

Dancing Divertimentian

Berlioz
Prokofiev
Handel
Strauss
Martinu (hardly anybody knows this side of Martinu, beyond, perhaps, Julietta).
Mozart
Wagner
Britten
Janacek
Rimsky-Korsakov

My stowaway: Berg

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ritter

My two cents worth:

Monteverdi
Rameau
Gluck
Mozart
Berlioz
Wagner
Debussy
R. Strauss
Berg
Dallapiccola

That's my top 10 (right now). Runner-ups (another 16  ::) ):

Lully
Beethoven
Rossini
Spontini
Mussorgsky
Chabrier
Schoenberg
Prokofiev
Křenek
Ravel
Bartók
Enescu
Ginastera
Eötvös
Birtwistle
C. Halffter

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Janacek has been a glaring omission from my lists, one which I ought to fix. After seeing The Cunning Little Vixen with friends I think I might explore some of his other ones.

Where should I go next?

North Star

Quote from: jessop on June 26, 2017, 01:54:45 AM
Janacek has been a glaring omission from my lists, one which I ought to fix. After seeing The Cunning Little Vixen with friends I think I might explore some of his other ones.

Where should I go next?
Makropulos Case, From the House of the Dead, Excursions of Mr. Broucek, Kát'a Kabanová. Read the synopses and pick the one you fancy most at the moment.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: North Star on June 28, 2017, 12:59:26 AM
Makropulos Case, From the House of the Dead, Excursions of Mr. Broucek, Kát'a Kabanová. Read the synopses and pick the one you fancy most at the moment.
Shall do. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

nathanb

Ashley
Berg
Birtwistle
Monteverdi
Mozart
Rautavaara
Reimann
Sciarrino
Stockhausen
Wagner

Or something like that, I guess. Furrer, Neuwirth, Rameau, and so on make for some tough exclusions.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Wtf I love Birtwistle operas yet never included him on my lists?????

Nathanb who is Ashley and what do you recommend? :)

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on June 29, 2017, 12:49:02 PM
Wtf I love Birtwistle operas yet never included him on my lists?????

Nathanb who is Ashley and what do you recommend? :)

You've gone all this way and never heard of Robert Ashley?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: nathanb on June 29, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
You've gone all this way and never heard of Robert Ashley?

All what way? I'm still fairly new to music. I don't have as many years experience of understanding as other people on this forum, which is why I'm here! :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Okay I just checked Wikipedia and it says he is American. I don't know many American composers, so that's probably why. It seems as if his operas would really be interesting to me. Thanks for bringing him up!

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on June 29, 2017, 06:28:50 PM
All what way? I'm still fairly new to music. I don't have as many years experience of understanding as other people on this forum, which is why I'm here! :)

Well, I think you were already on TalkClassical when I was just starting to obsess over Beethoven for the first time, just sayin' ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: nathanb on June 29, 2017, 07:41:55 PM
Well, I think you were already on TalkClassical when I was just starting to obsess over Beethoven for the first time, just sayin' ;)
Hah yep fair enough. I find it particularly difficult to discover American composers; from my perspective as an outsider it's difficult to see as diverse a representation of styles in the relatively more avant-garde movements as one can see quite easily in the music that has come out of Europe. It might just be some kind of bias I have towards certain styles, though.

Chronochromie

Monteverdi
Rameau
Mozart
Berlioz
Wagner
Mussorgsky
Janacek
Berg
Schoenberg
Sciarrino

San Antone

I don't have 10 favorite composers of opera, but this list is of the relatively few composers whose operatic output I listen to fairly regularly.

Verdi
Mozart
Debussy
Gershwin
Puccini
Britten
Berg

I'd like to include Stephen Sondheim because, IMO, Sweeney Todd is at least operatic, and Passion could be considered an opera.

Biffo

Haven't seen this thread before, so here goes

Monteverdi
Purcell
Handel
Mozart
Berlioz
Wagner
Janacek
Verdi
Weber
R Strauss

Mirror Image

Here goes nothing....

Debussy
Ravel
Bartók
Britten
Szymanowski
Berg
Martinů
Enescu
Janáček
Barber

Symphonic Addict

From what I've heard so far, I can only go with these:

R. Strauss
Puccini
Wagner
Janacek
Vaughan Williams
Nielsen
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

I'll go for composers who wrote more than one opera.

Verdi
Puccini
Bellini
Mozart
Bizet
Gounod
Massenet
Wagner
Strauss
Janacek

I admit to not liking baroque and early classic operas very much. Also, I have a big blind spot: russian opera (except Pique Dame and Eugen Onegin).