Multi Composer Discs

Started by Bogey, December 27, 2007, 05:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Bogey on December 27, 2007, 05:09:52 AM
I have been one to always try and stay away from discs that contain more than one composer, but as my wife pointed out to me, "If the performances are wonderful and you like the compositions from beginning to end, then why disregard them?" 

So, what multi composer discs do you own that make it to the tray often?

Once "special interests" set in, like in a specific performer or specific repertoire, multi-composers discs suddenly get appeal! :)
So I have these on conductors (E. Kleiber, Mengelberg, Stokowski), ensembles, pianists, violinists (Heifetz, Milstein, Szigeti), etc., and especially singers. Discs with early music, but also with "off the beaten track" baroque repertoire, can be multi-composer.

Q

Holden

I have multi composer CDs when I focus on a particular performer, ensemble or conductor. I've been listening to Sokolov, Fiorentino and Ciani lately along with Bruno Walter. Some of those CDs have more than one composer.
Cheers

Holden

PSmith08

Quote from: James on December 27, 2007, 07:15:43 AM

Stravinsky/Prokofiev/Webern/Boulez (Pollini)
& Byrd/Gibbons/Sweelinck (Gould)
2 huge faves...

I concur completely in both cases. Gould's Tudor record is, to my mind, one of the highlights of his discography.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brahmsian

If there was a stat on resurrecting old and decrepit threads, my name would be at the top of that list.  :D

As for me, this is hands down, my favourite multi-composer disc that I have!  I generally stay away from these, but sometimes it is inevitable.

I bought it for the Franck symphony performance, but as it turns out, the Petruska performance is equally as marvelous and compelling!  :)  (I think Bruce Hodges said the exact same thing, only opposite - he bought it for the Petruska, and ended up also admiring the Franck performance).

vandermolen

One of my favourites:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Here's a multi composer disc I enjoyed a lot recently - 13 composers in 73 minutes!  I like how a familiar name jostles for attention with someone you've never heard of.  And better still when the unknown is more impressive than the familiar!