Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accmacmus

Quote from: Que on October 26, 2020, 06:30:21 AM
Because, if true... and I find it very plausible and the former ambassador of the UK to the EU a credible source...
Everything Ivan Rogers predicted turned out to become true, really a remarkable person.

Que

Amidst the doom and gloom, there is some lighter stuff as well...

Brexit: Department for International Trade in soy sauce row after Great British Bake Off claim

The recent Anglo-Japanese trade deal was heralded as delivering tariff free import of soy sauce from Japan.

But... as it turned out:
1. The import of soy sauce from Japan is already free of tariffs, due to the EU-Japan trade deal.
2. Most soy sauce imported into the UK, is produced in and imported from the Netherlands. Whether that will stay free from tariffs, depends on a possible trade deal with the EU.

What this illustrates is that the idea that Brexit would somehow improve the UK's position in international trade, is an illusion.
All expert comments I've read conclude that the Aglo-Japanese trade deal merely retains the staus quo.
Considering the UK's smaller economic and political leverage, that seems the optimal outcome.

Q

MusicTurner

On an extremely narrow scale, I'm wondering whether customs fees will really be reintroduced in 2021 regarding the EU, making CD buying from the many fine UK sources much more expensive in the future. Or whether they'll somehow continue previous trade options to the continent. I'm very glad that I have stocked up this year from the many UK sales campaigns, including the recent special Dutton and Chandos sales of rare UK repertoire, reducing my wish list to now around 17 items totally ... good that we have dealers such as JPC etc. on the continent too though.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 29, 2020, 12:57:27 AM
On an extremely narrow scale, I'm wondering whether customs fees will really be reintroduced in 2021 regarding the EU, making CD buying from the many fine UK sources much more expensive in the future. Or whether they'll somehow continue previous trade options to the continent. I'm very glad that I have stocked up this year from the many UK sales campaigns, including the recent special Dutton and Chandos sales of rare UK repertoire, reducing my wish list to now around 17 items totally ... good that we have dealers such as JPC etc. on the continent too though.

Extensive research suggests that you live in Denmark  ;D

Any customs fees will impact here as well. I buy quite a lot from European dealers (makes me sound like a drug dealer), not least from Fuga in Helsinki etc. JPC as well of course.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.A.W.

All non-private seller prices on EU sites (like EU Amazon sites) include VAT when the items are sold to EU residents. In the current situation nothing will change until December 31, 2020, when the UK leaves the single market and the customs union. As of January 1, 2021, this situation changes (unless the EU and UK strike a deal that leaves the current VAT regulations intact) and the UK will become a so-called "third country" for EU customers; VAT will then be payable for items whose value exceeds 22 euros and import duty for items with a value exceeding 150 euros.
Hans

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on October 29, 2020, 12:40:28 AM
Amidst the doom and gloom, there is some lighter stuff as well...

Brexit: Department for International Trade in soy sauce row after Great British Bake Off claim

The recent Anglo-Japanese trade deal was heralded as delivering tariff free import of soy sauce from Japan.

But... as it turned out:
1. The import of soy sauce from Japan is already free of tariffs, due to the EU-Japan trade deal.
2. Most soy sauce imported into the UK, is produced in and imported from the Netherlands. Whether that will stay free from tariffs, depends on a possible trade deal with the EU.

What this illustrates is that the idea that Brexit would somehow improve the UK's position in international trade, is an illusion.
All expert comments I've read conclude that the Aglo-Japanese trade deal merely retains the staus quo.
Considering the UK's smaller economic and political leverage, that seems the optimal outcome.

Q
Que,  as a side-note, when you say "produced" does that equal to basically "bottled in the Netherlands but made elsewhere...like Japan"?  I've read about some specialty/higher quality soy sauces made in Japan, but not available locally...possibly available from specialty businesses online.  Just curious here.  As a comparison, here in the States, I've seen bottles of olive oil listing (if I'm remembering correctly) things like "product of" but the sources of the olive oil are from multiple countries with sketchy companies not giving much info, period.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 29, 2020, 01:08:41 PM
Que,  as a side-note, when you say "produced" does that equal to basically "bottled in the Netherlands but made elsewhere...like Japan"?  I've read about some specialty/higher quality soy sauces made in Japan, but not available locally...possibly available from specialty businesses online.  Just curious here.  As a comparison, here in the States, I've seen bottles of olive oil listing (if I'm remembering correctly) things like "product of" but the sources of the olive oil are from multiple countries with sketchy companies not giving much info, period.

PD

The most popular brand is Kikkoman, which is a Japanese brand but they have a factory in he Netherlands.
The sauce is produced with soy from Brazil, Canada and the US,  wheat from Germany and water and salt ftom the Netherlands. A prime example of contemporary international economic relations. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/28/dfids-brexit-soy-sauce-price-cut-claim-prompts-backlash-bake-off

British Brexiteers keep talking about "German carmakers".... while these German companies have British share holders, own British car brands, produce cars in Britsh plants with British workers and use parts from British suppliers.

They are basically shooting themselves in the foot, and think this enables them to run a marathon... ::)

Q

JBS

Kikkoman is a big brand here in the States. If I remember I'll look tomorrow to see where they produce it for the American market (Friday is my day for groceries.)

Those Brexiteers on German cars sound a lot like some Americans on Japanese cars a few years back. And the situation was exactly the same.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

I trust all Brexiteers would want to drive the only car brand that is exclusively British in ownership and production:

A Morgan sports car....

Q

Madiel

Quote from: J.A.W. on October 29, 2020, 04:41:03 AM
All non-private seller prices on EU sites (like EU Amazon sites) include VAT when the items are sold to EU residents. In the current situation nothing will change until December 31, 2020, when the UK leaves the single market and the customs union. As of January 1, 2021, this situation changes (unless the EU and UK strike a deal that leaves the current VAT regulations intact) and the UK will become a so-called "third country" for EU customers; VAT will then be payable for items whose value exceeds 22 euros and import duty for items with a value exceeding 150 euros.

I'm in Australia. I don't pay VAT precisely because I'm not in the EU (and many UK sites recognise this). I didn't pay any taxes at all until Australian law changed to impose our VAT equivalent on lower-cost goods coming in from overseas. But I believe VAT is 20%, whereas our equivalent is only 10%.

Whether costs will be affected in practice depends on whether one's internal goods taxes are higher or lower than one's import duties.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

accmacmus

Mods asleep, post music duels. Today a poem by Gabriello Chiabrera, Damigella tutta bella (translation, Ctrl+F for «damigella»), set into music by two renaissance musicians, Claudio Monteverdi ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RBEBVRO5E ) and Vincenzo Calestani ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjZfC8dWjM ). 

The most anodyne message from Mr. Barnier, EU chief negotiatior: «After 7 days of intensive negotiations in London, talks continue with David Frost and his team in Brussels in full respect of the national health measures #COVID19 Working hard for an agreement. Much remains to be done».

Sixty-one days until transition period ends, in this timeframe the deal has to be agreed, ratified by the two Parliament (UK/EU) and finally implemented.

Que

Interesting read on Reuters:

Brexit goes down to the line: Deal, no-deal or fudge?

Particularly the possible prospect of a "fudge" - a partial deal on a limited number of agreed topics - was new to me.

Q

Que

From the website of the London School of Economics and Political Science:

The UK will never be ready for Brexit

Well, ready or not, the transition period is ending this year and there is only one week left to come to an trade agreement that could be sealed at the EU summit on November 19th.

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is considering his unattractive options  (political or economic suicide?) and has the prospect of Scottish independence reached a stable and slowly increasing majority in the polls.

Q

accmacmus

Meanwhile, the EU negotiatior

Que

Quote from: accmacmus on November 13, 2020, 08:24:33 AM

Yes...  :D

He hints at the condition of the EU that a trade deal won't distort fair competition between UK and EU companies.

The UK however, wants access to the European market without the regulatory ties that EU member states and companies are subjected to. It basically wants to turn a mutually beneficial trade relationship that is based on reciprocity into a trade relationship that creates advantages for British businesses to the detriment of their EU competitors.

"No rules from Brussels", but free trade access. Sounds like a great "Vote Leave" slogan, but in the real world it is not going to happen... The EU will rather cut its (considerable) losses than going down that road....

One week to go till the EU summit on the 19th, the clock is ticking.... ::)

Q

Que

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on November 13, 2020, 07:12:54 PM

I wonder if the increased support for Scottish independence triggered by Brexit, in combination with the pandemic, has now  reached a "point of no return"? What we can see is that the doubters of the last referendum, the voters of the middle ground who are not ardent SNP supporters are gradually embracing independence as a reasonable and safe way forward instead of an extreme and risky choice. That seems like a watershed to me...

Q

Iota

Quote from: accmacmus on November 13, 2020, 08:24:33 AM

:D

Quote from: Que on November 13, 2020, 11:27:28 PM
I wonder if the increased support for Scottish independence triggered by Brexit, in combination with the pandemic, has now  reached a "point of no return"? What we can see is that the doubters of the last referendum, the voters of the middle ground who are not ardent SNP supporters are gradually embracing independence as a reasonable and safe way forward instead of an extreme and risky choice. That seems like a watershed to me...

Q

No doubt, Brexit is a big cannon in the SNP arsenal, have no idea whether it will be enough to push them over the line.

Generally this is a very bleak time for those of us hoping for the consolation prize of a UK - EU deal to be done. I don't know if the departure of Cummings and Lee Cain from No.10 will have any impact on it, but I suspect not. Not long to wait to find out. Happy days .. :(

Madiel

Quote from: Que on November 13, 2020, 11:27:28 PM

Q

It seems inevitable that there will be a decent number of Scottish voters who see Brexit as a complete betrayal of what they were promised in return for voting No to independence last time. And it also seems to me that the idea that Scotland had its chance and can't have another referendum won't wash. The rules have changed so fundamentally since the previous referendum... and essentially they've been changed by the English.

I really do wonder what Brexit is going to do to the UK, with both Scotland and Northern Ireland not wanting it to happen.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Scottish fishers planning to land and sell their fish in Northern Ireland, so it can be exported within the EU without tariffs and paperwork.

Brexit: Will Scottish fishing boats move to Northern Ireland?

Smart, but bad for Scotland...
And we are going to see more of this after the transition period: businesses will conduct their activities how and where it is best for them... they are not interested in political monologues about "sovereignty".

Q