Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Que on November 16, 2020, 11:33:56 PM
Scottish fishers planning to land and sell their fish in Northern Ireland, so it can be exported within the EU without tariffs and paperwork.

Brexit: Will Scottish fishing boats move to Northern Ireland?

Smart, but bad for Scotland...
And we are going to see more of this after the transition period: businesses will conduct their activities how and where it is best for them... they are not interested in political monologues about "sovereignty".

Q

Well yes. I happen to know, for example, that there are some Australian exports that currently arrive into the EU in England, but which are ultimately destined for the continent. And so next year those exporters are going to change their shipping patterns so that their goods go direct to the continent. It's inevitable that businesses will make that kind of assessment and change their behaviour to minimise cost and paperwork.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on November 17, 2020, 12:56:39 AM
Well yes. I happen to know, for example, that there are some Australian exports that currently arrive into the EU in England, but which are ultimately destined for the continent. And so next year those exporters are going to change their shipping patterns so that their goods go direct to the continent. It's inevitable that businesses will make that kind of assessment and change their behaviour to minimise cost and paperwork.
Do you know why they have currently been going to England vs. elsewhere?  Just curious.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 17, 2020, 03:22:32 AM
Do you know why they have currently been going to England vs. elsewhere?  Just curious.

PD

No, not really. Maybe some of the product is meant for the UK and offloaded there. Or maybe it's just some other convenience factor. All I know for certain is that there are exporters who won't want the product counted as going to the UK once the UK is no longer counted as part of the EU for trade purposes (after 31 December).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

accmacmus

How do you say Oh merde! in English?

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

Que

The Dutch banking group ABN-AMRO has calculated that even if the deal that is now being negotiated will go through, it will result in a €4.5 bilion hit on Dutch GDP and a loss of 17.700 jobs.

In a no deal situation the damage to the Dutch economy is €17.5 billion and the loss of 70.000 jobs.

This is just sheer and utter madness....  ???

Q

Que

UK should not sign EU deal at any price, says Sunak

Interestingly, some EU member states have expressed the same sentiment....

Which makes a scenario possible in which a negotiated deal could be rejected by either British politics or one or more EU member states.

Q

Iota

It seems to me that the overall tenor of remarks emerging from Downing St, including the one from the consistently unpalatable Johnson the other day (https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-keeps-talking-with-eu-but-says-uk-should-prepare-for-no-deal/), are attempting to prepare us for a no deal already privately decided on by the UK goverment.

But it's a situation so fraught with uncertainty and brinkmanship to which Que's link above only adds, that any guess is a wild one at the moment, and I would very much like to be wrong.

Que

Brexit: Face-to-face trade talks to resume in London

What can I say?

Michel Barnier wants to close this off with a success before he retires .
The EU wants to avoid significant economic fall out and wants happy fishermen.

But the UK doesn't want to let go of its Brexit fantasy.... after all: what was it all for, then?  ::)

Gooooood question......  ???

steve ridgway

I'm looking forward to all the fish that will no longer be going to the EU appearing in our shops at a reasonable price. :P

Que

Can't imagine anyone who is still following this, not feeling absolutely exasperated.... ::)

5 signs this is the real Brexit crunch (and 4 that it isn't) (Politico)

My personal guess: a deal at the 11th hour which will first be cause for relief, and then dissapointment because it will be very thin.

Q

Madiel

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2020, 03:00:42 AM
Can't imagine anyone who is still following this, not feeling absolutely exasperated.... ::)

I'm exasperated because Australia wants to sort out aspects of its own trade arrangements with the EU and the UK, and can't get their attention. They're too busy stuffing around with each other with only 4 weeks to go.

Iota

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2020, 03:00:42 AM

5 signs this is the real Brexit crunch (and 4 that it isn't) (Politico)

And in the middle of it all, the Internal Market Bill reappears on stage like a pantomime baddie, with a vote on it in the Commons next week.
The government is pledging to reinsert the contentious law-breaking clauses that caused so much anger back in September - and use the threat of them as another bargaining chip no doubt - then presumably if a deal is struck they'll be dropped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55171563

vandermolen

Something is likely to be stitched together at the last moment - but this was always the case.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: Iota on December 03, 2020, 10:23:32 AM

And in the middle of it all, the Internal Market Bill reappears on stage like a pantomime baddie, with a vote on it in the Commons next week.
The government is pledging to reinsert the contentious law-breaking clauses that caused so much anger back in September - and use the threat of them as another bargaining chip no doubt - then presumably if a deal is struck they'll be dropped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55171563

Groan. When creating incentives to make a new deal, there's nothing quite like breaching the deals you already have made.

Que

What is happening in the Brexit talks?

Analysis: It is make or break for trade and security negotiations as the EU and UK enter perhaps final 48 hours

Major developments:
- Frost and Barnier are out, and negotiations have been taken over by Johnson and Von der Leyen
- A natural deadline of Monday morning seems to have been set by the reintroduction of the much disputed Internal market bill before the House of Commons on Tuesday
- France, Italy, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands are apprehensive on the leeway the UK might have been given on fair competition/"level playing field".  France has suggested that a veto is a viable option if it is not satisfied with a negotiated deal.

My own takaway: the fact that the UK hasn't been a reliable and constructive negotiating partner, might do it in... It seems that in many European capitals a deal isn't seen as possible or even desirable anymore. Only the European Commission is still very much focused on getting a deal.

Q

steve ridgway

After all these years of critical, make or break days, is it finally coming to an end? :-\

Que

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen