Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

Quote from: Que on October 29, 2018, 10:21:23 AM
I seriously doubted it being anything other than a prank!

"Friendship with all nations"?  I mean....really..... this must be a very, very bad joke....

Q

That design is so amateurish that I think it is probably real.

Que

The reasons behind the motto used have become much clearer to me....

The full quote from Thomas Jefferson is:

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."

There you have it... Brexit in a nutshell...  ::)

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on October 29, 2018, 10:21:23 AM
I seriously doubted it being anything other than a prank!

"Friendship with all nations"?  I mean....really..... this must be a very, very bad joke....

Q

At another time of the year I'd have assumed that this was an April Fool joke.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Iota

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 29, 2018, 10:03:59 AM
Apparently NOT a parody:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46016359

Since Brexit, thinly veiled nationalism and an ever encroaching insanity seem to be the new normal. The utterly crass appearance of this 50p bit to celebrate what nearly all economists accept is a giant, irrational act of self sabotage is depressing, but seems in line with the 'if you play a wrong note, keep playing it till it sounds right' philosophy that Brexiteers have apparently have taken to heart. Anything to drown out the inconvenient sound of logic.

Que

Don't count on the gift of a Christmas deal

"Given the limited scope for negotiators to pull out any more white rabbits, it looks increasingly likely that Prime Minister May will try and play for time.

By pushing back the crunch vote in the House of Commons on the final deal as far as she can, the hope is that this will help to focus Parliamentarians minds and make the vote a much more binary choice between deal and no deal as the time for renegotiation would almost be non-existent.

This tactic may also encourage some opposition MPs to vote with the government, particularly given that in the case of the Labour Party, the hints about future customs union membership are not very far away from their own Brexit policy."

"the only true deadline in the process is March 29th when the Article 50 ends – and even here, when push comes to shove there may willingness to extend the period if purely to create more time for ratification and legalities."

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on October 31, 2018, 12:41:06 PM
Since Brexit, thinly veiled nationalism and an ever encroaching insanity seem to be the new normal. The utterly crass appearance of this 50p bit to celebrate what nearly all economists accept is a giant, irrational act of self sabotage is depressing, but seems in line with the 'if you play a wrong note, keep playing it till it sounds right' philosophy that Brexiteers have apparently have taken to heart. Anything to drown out the inconvenient sound of logic.
I very much agree.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Well, well, quite a cliff hanger for the first scene of the final act of.... Brexs*it...

Credit to the tabloid Sun, for coming up with this new name which has undoubtedly universal appeal..

What are the chances that the UK is going to sign up to an agreement that literally nobody -  Brexiteers, Remainers or Corbyn - likes?

Q

Que

vandermolen

Yet, so far, no-one has resigned from the Cabinet or initiated a leadership challenge. Could be an interesting day.

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2018, 09:41:53 PM
Yet, so far, no-one has resigned from the Cabinet or initiated a leadership challenge. Could be an interesting day.
Well, I guess the point of Brexit for some was getting more power, not less. Haha.

Marc

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2018, 09:41:53 PM

And it is.

The idiot Cameron caused some major maham, with his great referendum.
Gambling with other people's money and jobs, completely misjudging the odds, all of it leading to nothing but useless fights.

And his successor(s) just fighting for power... again without any idea about other people's money and jobs. Hurrah!

But I guess mr. Cameron doesn't feel sorry for anything, and still thinks that the referendum was a good idea.

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on November 15, 2018, 02:59:12 AM
And it is.

The idiot Cameron caused some major maham, with his great referendum.
Gambling with other people's money and jobs, completely misjudging the odds, all of it leading to nothing but useless fights.

And his successor(s) just fighting for power... again without any idea about other people's money and jobs. Hurrah!

But I guess mr. Cameron doesn't feel sorry for anything, and still thinks that the referendum was a good idea.

Totally agree with you. The Grand Fiasco is playing out today.

vandermolen

What a mess. Although I've never warmed to Theresa May I have to say that I rather admire her dogged beleaguered persistence.

Mr. Minnow

Meanwhile, as Brexit and plotting for the Tory leadership dominate the headlines to the exclusion of all else:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/16/epitaph-theresa-may-goverment-damning-un-report

[sarcasm] I'm sure that if it weren't for Brexit this would be headline news.[/sarcasm]

What's most shocking about this casual brutality is the extent to which it's become normalised. And Brexit will only make it worse. Still, blue passports and immigrants, etc..

Que

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on November 16, 2018, 07:44:46 AM
Meanwhile, as Brexit and plotting for the Tory leadership dominate the headlines to the exclusion of all else:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/16/epitaph-theresa-may-goverment-damning-un-report

[sarcasm] I'm sure that if it weren't for Brexit this would be headline news.[/sarcasm]

What's most shocking about this casual brutality is the extent to which it's become normalised. And Brexit will only make it worse. Still, blue passports and immigrants, etc..

It's a game that is as ingenious as it evil: first you disenfranchise a large portion of your population, then you blame an outside party - in this case the EU (and immigrants) - to get a political mandate to get rid of outside restrictions and do whatever you want, just to fill up your pockets some more...

Q

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Que on November 16, 2018, 09:08:43 AM
It's a game that is as ingenious as it evil: first you disenfranchise a large portion of your population, then you blame an outside party - in this case the EU (and immigrants) - to get a political mandate to get rid of outside restrictions and do whatever you want, just to fill up your pockets some more...

Q

The cynicism of it is to be expected from the Tories. What's so disheartening about it is how easily a large chunk of the public can allow the anger of its legitimate grievances to be misdirected, especially when that misdirection is coming from people who want Brexit in order to pursue an even worse version of the ideology that landed those parts of the country in the shit in the first place.

Having been royally screwed once already, they're essentially saying to the Brexiters: "go right ahead, screw us over again! And why not chuck some sand in the vaseline while you're at it? We want our Brexit HARD!" For all the indignation from leave voters at being viewed as stupid, there's really no getting away from it: voting to be shafted again by the people who shafted you before is stupid. In fact it's completely bloody moronic. 

One Labour right winger has clearly decided that her best chance of saving her seat at the next election is to back May's deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/16/labour-mp-deal-no-deal-eu-brexit

Remember, the Labour "moderates" have attacked Corbyn for not opposing Brexit strongly enough. Now some of them are willing to enable a Tory Brexit after all by voting for it in the Commons. Dear oh dear.

Mr. Minnow

Farage in the Sunday Times:

He was somehow able to claim during the referendum campaign that the Irish border wouldn't be a problem - and anyone saying otherwise was just part of Project Fear - despite not having given it a moment's thought. Christ.

The sooner this mendacious excrescence of fetid cocksnot is cast into the deepest fathoms of political oblivion the better.

Pat B

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on November 18, 2018, 02:44:39 PM
The sooner this mendacious excrescence of fetid cocksnot is cast into the deepest fathoms of political oblivion the better.

I have always enjoyed British understatement.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Pat B on November 18, 2018, 09:59:10 PM
I have always enjoyed British understatement.

Happy to oblige. :D

Considering the damage Farage has helped to inflict on us, and his total abdication of any responsibility, he deserves far worse.

Iota

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on November 19, 2018, 04:24:32 AM
Considering the damage Farage has helped to inflict on us, and his total abdication of any responsibility, he deserves far worse.

Indeed. Your restraint becomes you.