Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Pat B on December 06, 2018, 09:02:49 AM
That's assuming Johnson actually wanted to be the PM who would have to implement Brexit (as opposed to the PM after that).

Whatever Johnson wanted, Gove had been one of his supporters before, erm, "wrestling with his conscience" and "reluctantly" deciding that he'd be a better leader than Johnson.  It was pretty two-faced by any measure, even though few would shed tears on Johnson's behalf.

I don't think either Johnson or Gove wanted to be the PM implementing Brexit. Their demeanour at a press conference the day after the referendum was priceless - far from sporting triumphant smiles the looks on their faces screamed "oh shit, we're actually going to have to do this now".  The strategy had been that there would be a narrow win for remain, leaving Johnson to sweep the Tory leadership by picking up the Brexit torch. Then Leave won and it all went pear-shaped. Even Gove's wife was quoted as saying "you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off".

Que

Jeremy Corbyn: Labour's Brexit deal would have no backstop (Euronews)

Delusions or blatant lies....

The man has therefore either no brains or no shame....  ::)

I guess the scenario in which Labour picks up the pieces and saves the day, is now off the table?  ???

Q

Que

I think if a 2nd referendum would go through with three options:
1. the negotiated deal
2. no deal
3. remaining in the EU

And voters would be a preferential vote and a secondary vote,  none of the options would be the preffered option of a majority of voters but May's deal would everybody's 2nd choice.

Q

steve ridgway

They have a very wise saying in Yorkshire - If in doubt, do nowt :-\.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Que on December 08, 2018, 01:54:48 AM
I guess the scenario in which Labour picks up the pieces and saves the day, is now off the table?  ???

Q

I've given up taking much notice of what anyone at Westminster is saying at the moment. The aftermath of the vote on Tuesday evening will be when the dam bursts and we'll begin to get a clearer idea of what each of the various groups in the Commons really thinks as decisions have to be made. That's assuming May doesn't delay the vote of course - there are rumours that she will, though it's hard to see what could be achieved by doing so. May has apparently denied these rumours, which on past form means they're probably true.

steve ridgway

She is now desperate to the point of telling MPs it is her deal or the chance of Labour winning a general election - well "Jeremy Corbyn" portrayed as someone with no interest beyond a ruthless desire for power >:D.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on December 08, 2018, 05:20:34 PM
That's assuming May doesn't delay the vote of course - there are rumours that she will, though it's hard to see what could be achieved by doing so. May has apparently denied these rumours, which on past form means they're probably true.

The rumours were true ::).

Marc

Spineless, no vision, just greedy for position.

Like the lot of them.

What a mess.

Marc

Quote from: 2dogs on December 08, 2018, 08:50:55 PM
She is now desperate to the point of telling MPs it is her deal or the chance of Labour winning a general election - well "Jeremy Corbyn" portrayed as someone with no interest beyond a ruthless desire for power >:D.

May would recognize such a person immediately.
Like watching in a mirror.

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on December 10, 2018, 11:46:20 AM
Spineless, no vision, just greedy for position.

Like the lot of them.

What a mess.

Quoted for truth.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

All going smoothly here today.  ???
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2018, 01:04:19 AM

The history of the human race proceeding as ever - people are social enough to form groups and anti social enough to compete with other groups ::).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2018, 01:04:19 AM

Swimmingly would be appropriate, what with the PM at sea, MPs hurrying into the lifeboats and pirates readying to board the vessel only to sink it after the killing.

Posting a picture of Delacroix' famous painting would be entirely fitting, but a cartoon version is more like it, I think:

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 12, 2018, 05:51:41 AM
Swimmingly would be appropriate, what with the PM at sea, MPs hurrying into the lifeboats and pirates readying to board the vessel only to sink it after the killing.

Posting a picture of Delacroix' famous painting would be entirely fitting, but a cartoon version is more like it, I think:

Excellent Andre! I've always regarded Gericault's 'The Raft of the Medusa' as an appropriate metaphor for my life (hanging on by my fingertips etc)  8). I like the Asterix version if I've got that right.

Today someone on TV commented that Theresa May is drowning and Angela Merkel is throwing buckets of water at her.

steve ridgway

May remains as PM - so back to square one ::).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 2dogs on December 12, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
May remains as PM - so back to square one ::).

May remains, No Mexit, then...

Mr. Minnow

Marc

Brexit is bad for the UK and for the EU.
Still, the soft Brexit that May and the EU have negociated is probably the least bad deal at the moment.

IMHO, there is no room for victory feelings of whatever kind for the opposition, at whatever moment. Labour is as divided as the Conservative Party. And Corbyn, like May, is just another opportunistic weather vane.