Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on October 27, 2019, 06:33:59 AM
But that is daft (in a non-Brexit world). The leader of the opposition refuses the opportunity of power because there is a chance he may lose! A tactic new to me.

Put yourself in Corbyn's shoes. What would you do?

I mean, what would you do all things considered?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2019, 10:45:47 AM
Put yourself in Corbyn's shoes. What would you do?

I mean, what would you do all things considered?

I would do what he is doing because "all things" = Brexit. Our (UK) Parliament is distorted to a dangerous degree due to this nightmare Brexit. Politicians are making decisions that in normal circumstances would not be made - which is the point I was attempting to make.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on October 27, 2019, 12:32:05 PM
Politicians are making decisions that in normal circumstances would not be made.

I'm not that sure. I think that even in normal circumstances a politician would prefer a situation of being in opposition with, say, 40% of the seats rather than going to a snap election which might result in his party remaining in opposition but with, say, only 32% of the seats. YMMV.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 28, 2019, 01:30:06 AM
I'm not that sure. I think that even in normal circumstances a politician would prefer a situation of being in opposition with, say, 40% of the seats rather than going to a snap election which might result in his party remaining in opposition but with, say, only 32% of the seats. YMMV.
Makes sense...The question that follows, of course, is whether said party should seek another leader.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 28, 2019, 04:38:17 AM
Makes sense...The question that follows, of course, is whether said party should seek another leader.  ;)

Of course.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on October 28, 2019, 01:30:06 AM

When May called an election she was way ahead in the polls (something she said she would not do). As the campaign proceeded Corbyn dismantled her share of the vote. Sure she won but it was a pyrrhic victory as Boris was to find out. The British voting public have form in confounding the pollsters. It worries me greatly that Corbyn could win but deep down I am not sure he wants it - to be PM.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on October 28, 2019, 08:44:58 AM
When May called an election she was way ahead in the polls (something she said she would not do). As the campaign proceeded Corbyn dismantled her share of the vote. Sure she won but it was a pyrrhic victory as Boris was to find out. The British voting public have form in confounding the pollsters. It worries me greatly that Corbyn could win but deep down I am not sure he wants it - to be PM.

I think no sane person would want to be PM in these times.  :)

JBS

Quote from: Irons on October 27, 2019, 12:32:05 PM
I would do what he is doing because "all things" = Brexit. Our (UK) Parliament is distorted to a dangerous degree due to this nightmare Brexit. Politicians are making decisions that in normal circumstances would not be made - which is the point I was attempting to make.

My own speculation (based on nothing more than my status as a member of the GMG Big Brain Brigade, and not on any special insight or knowledge) is that Corbyn would prefer to be the PM who cleans up after Brexit and "saves" the country from catastrophe than the PM who presides over Brexit...that in part being based on my feeling that Corbyn is far more interested in what's good for Corbyn than he is in what's good for the UK.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: JBS on October 28, 2019, 11:09:10 AM
My own speculation (based on nothing more than my status as a member of the GMG Big Brain Brigade, and not on any special insight or knowledge) is that Corbyn would prefer to be the PM who cleans up after Brexit and "saves" the country from catastrophe than the PM who presides over Brexit...that in part being based on my feeling that Corbyn is far more interested in what's good for Corbyn than he is in what's good for the UK.

You have a point. There is one thing worth mentioning in that Corbyn is a keen allotment holder. I am too, and digging up spuds gives far more pleasure then all the hassle of running a country especially when in your 70's.

Florestan

Looks like Corbyn changed his mind. Elections December 12.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on October 30, 2019, 04:57:08 AM
Looks like Corbyn changed his mind. Elections December 12.

A strange decision which I didn't expect. Half of his party were against and told him so. The most likely reason is that the Liberals and Scottish Nats were for a December election and for him to put a block on it would result in him being accused of cowardice. The fanciful reason is that he is locked in a job he doesn't want and losing an election usually results in a change of leader.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

drogulus

No 10 blocks Russia EU referendum report until after election

A final draft of the Russian dossier, the product of 18-months work, was sent to Downing Street on 17 October and was originally intended for publication early this week. Political approval had been expected by the end of last week.

It was intended to be the last step in what is conventionally a complex sign-off process. The report has already been cleared by Britain's spy agencies, which contributed to the research.

Christopher Steele, the former MI6 spy who authored a dossier about Donald Trump's links to Moscow, also gave written evidence to the inquiry. His firm Orbis has documented Russian attempts to influence election outcomes in several European states and the 2016 US presidential election.

The committee's report is understood to examine allegations that Russian money has flowed into British politics in general and the Conservative party in particular. It also features claims that Russia launched a major influence operation in 2016 in support of Brexit.

The government is buying time in order to find the Ukrainians responsible.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Que

All quiet on the Brexit front

The title says it alll....  ::)

In his blog Chris Grey discusses the Brexit intentions of the various parties, and their plausibility.

Q

Irons

Quote from: Que on November 09, 2019, 01:37:41 AM
All quiet on the Brexit front

The title says it alll....  ::)

In his blog Chris Grey discusses the Brexit intentions of the various parties, and their plausibility.

Q

It has and what a blessed relief! There is no ambiguity the voters know where each of the four parties stand so believe it or not there is little to discuss. There is a danger that if a new hung parliament it will all start up again but I don't think it will. Both UK and EU are sick to the back teeth with Brexit.

Que

As Boris Johnson's elections victory draws near (probably not a landslide, but a working majority), Brexit will enter a new phase...

Sir Ivan Roger, the former Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the European Union, explains in his Brexit lecture at the University of Glasgow what lies ahead. Please note: a long read, and a not a particularly comforting Christmas story....

The Ghost of Christmas yet to come

To get into the Christmas spirit, here is the image of the Ghost of Christmas yet to come from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol:

Q

The new erato

A very göod read from one in the know who knows the realities, and is dispassionate about the political grandstanding.