Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

A firm slap in the face is always a good start in bilateral diplomatic relations.....

UK insists it will not grant EU ambassador full diplomatic status

Que

More Brexit fall out...

In this case I would say: finally...

MEPs vote to add Channel and British Virgin Islands to tax haven blacklist

UK overseas territories such as Cayman Islands also may lose protection once afforded by UK's EU membership

And the EU also needs stricter rules for its own member states as well (including my own, which has a bad track record...), in order to to contribute to a global effort against tax evasion. The absence of fierce British opposition will tilt the scale on this issue.

Q

MusicTurner

Quote from: Que on January 23, 2021, 12:46:44 AM
More Brexit fall out...

In this case I would say: finally...

MEPs vote to add Channel and British Virgin Islands to tax haven blacklist

UK overseas territories such as Cayman Islands also may lose protection once afforded by UK's EU membership

And the EU also needs stricter rules for its own member states as well (including my own, which has a bad track record...), in order to to contribute to a global effort against tax evasion. The absence of fierce British opposition will tilt the scale on this issue.

Q

Interesting - hopefully another sign of a general movement towards better international tax policing, reaching out globally, from the EU.

Que

Large and medium sized businesses are setting up EU branches to serve EU customers: investments and employment will follow...

Like I said before: businesses are not interested in ideology, they will go where they can make money.

Move to EU to avoid Brexit costs, firms told

A Brexit nightmare': the British businesses being pushed to breaking point

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 24, 2021, 01:22:45 AM
businesses are not interested in ideology, they will go where they can make money.

Hear, hear!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Iota

Quote from: Que on January 24, 2021, 01:22:45 AM
Large and medium sized businesses are setting up EU branches to serve EU customers: investments and employment will follow...

Like I said before: businesses are not interested in ideology, they will go where they can make money.

Move to EU to avoid Brexit costs, firms told

A Brexit nightmare': the British businesses being pushed to breaking point

The emptiness of Brexit and the shallowness of the thinking behind it, were never going to be a match for reality. The only chance it has is luck. English history is littered with asinine acts leading to beneficial results, so anything is possible I suppose. But how long it takes to get from one to the other is the same length as a piece of string. So not something it would be wise to seek reassurance from, I'd think.

And most of what you get now from the titans who led us here is little more than Lance Corporal Jones impersonations.   ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgonBt1oa9Y

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on January 24, 2021, 11:53:21 AM

The emptiness of Brexit and the shallowness of the thinking behind it, were never going to be a match for reality. The only chance it has is luck. English history is littered with asinine acts leading to beneficial results, so anything is possible I suppose. But how long it takes to get from one to the other is the same length as a piece of string. So not something it would be wise to seek reassurance from, I'd think.

And most of what you get now from the titans who led us here is little more than Lance Corporal Jones impersonations.   ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgonBt1oa9Y

Very true - great clip!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

All seems a (Brexit) damp squib to me. Nothing has changed for better or worse. I should imagine the EU is relieved to see the back of the noisy neighbour and the UK can worry about more important - ish stuff such as Scottish independence and united Ireland. Over four years of political anguish and hand wringing over what to me seems to be a non-event. The UK has not gone to hell in a hand-cart and not entered the sunny uplands of a bright new future either. In fact post-Brexit feels exactly the same as pre-Brexit.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2021, 07:55:44 AM
All seems a (Brexit) damp squib to me. Nothing has changed for better or worse. I should imagine the EU is relieved to see the back of the noisy neighbour and the UK can worry about more important - ish stuff such as Scottish independence and united Ireland. Over four years of political anguish and hand wringing over what to me seems to be a non-event. The UK has not gone to hell in a hand-cart and not entered the sunny uplands of a bright new future either. In fact post-Brexit feels exactly the same as pre-Brexit.

That's an unusual opinion, I think ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons,

Do you have any friends who have businesses which export to the EU?  If you've talked to them lately, what are they experiencing/seeing?  It sounds like a lot of extra work and costs from my end and like it would be particularly hard on small businesses who either can't afford to set up a warehouse in the EU or that it would laying off some people in the UK?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

All seems a (Brexit) damp squib to me. Nothing has changed for better or worse.

No German Riesling in Waitrose in Wimbledon today. The man said that they're having huge problems with imports from the continent, vegetables as well (you can't buy an aubergine for love nor money - it reminds me of the North of England in the 1960s)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

- £1 million Cheese business in Cheshire that can't export to EU because of the cost of new admin paperwork (£100 food safety certificate needed for each food parcels or products going to EU)...loss of business 200 grands..
- Scottish Fisheries who can't either and lose £50,000 of business per lorry...
- businesses thrown at the deep end 4 days before transition end with no advance knowledge of paperwork required
- businesses being told to move to EU if they want to get around any issues..by UK Gvt advisors
- already hundreds of millions worth of pounds worth moved by Financial companies from London to Paris and Frankfurt, thousands of staff already following suit..
- UK students that do not have access any more to Erasmus exchange to go and spend a year in a European university...
- large numbers of Lorries turned around on both sides because of incorrect additional paperwork...
- Not being able just to jump on a ferry or the Eurotunnel to go and visit parents in France as it was any more because of additional insurance paperwork now to be requested in advance of a visit...extremely helpful if one has to rush back to France in case of family emergency (Covid notwithstanding that is)....
- stock of fruits and veg not getting to Northern Ireland shelves
- Holyhead port losing very large chunks of business as transporters re-route transports directly from Ireland to the continent, bypassing NI and UK.
- As said before, handling fee, VAT and taxes now to be paid on goods bought from EU sellers above a certain value threshold
- Dyson moving HQ's to Singapore while backing Brexit (and other examples like that)...

It's all been in the news in the last months and last 3 weeks...

Absolutely hunky dory so far...

Like James O'Brien mentioned this morning on LBC, this country has simply decided to beat itself on the head with a frying pan, while still having to be grateful to Mr Johnson and his ilk for gifting us that frying pan... opinions might vary of course.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on January 27, 2021, 01:03:36 PM
...vegetables as well (you can't buy an aubergine for love nor money)

I hear you, I had to rely on ratatouille from the freezer stock !!    ;D
Olivier

Madiel

I've been told anecdotally that Australian exports to Northern Ireland have dropped sharply because the paperwork is too difficult and messy right now.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 27, 2021, 01:50:27 PM
I hear you, I had to rely on ratatouille from the freezer stock !!    ;D

You could make an English version of ratatouille with . . . err . . .  potatoes

(And serve it with some mint sauce.)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2021, 02:38:46 AM
You could make an English version of ratatouille with . . . err . . .  potatoes

(And serve it with some mint sauce.)

and why not some jelly, while you're at it ??  :P :laugh:

(to be fair, i have come round to mint sauce and mint gravy for the lamb roast...took many years but i got there  :) )
Olivier

Mandryka

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2021, 02:55:34 AM
Just for you

https://www.youtube.com/v/LQi2vLlporA&ab_channel=defunesfan

:laugh:

About 20 years ago, after I had already spent a few months living in the UK, I used to have French relatives inquiring quite worryingly: "but...but... what do you eat exactly in England ?"  :-X  :laugh:

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 27, 2021, 08:11:43 AM
That's an unusual opinion, I think ...

Not an unusual occurrence.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 27, 2021, 01:34:41 PM
- £1 million Cheese business in Cheshire that can't export to EU because of the cost of new admin paperwork (£100 food safety certificate needed for each food parcels or products going to EU)...loss of business 200 grands..
- Scottish Fisheries who can't either and lose £50,000 of business per lorry...
- businesses thrown at the deep end 4 days before transition end with no advance knowledge of paperwork required
- businesses being told to move to EU if they want to get around any issues..by UK Gvt advisors
- already hundreds of millions worth of pounds worth moved by Financial companies from London to Paris and Frankfurt, thousands of staff already following suit..
- UK students that do not have access any more to Erasmus exchange to go and spend a year in a European university...
- large numbers of Lorries turned around on both sides because of incorrect additional paperwork...
- Not being able just to jump on a ferry or the Eurotunnel to go and visit parents in France as it was any more because of additional insurance paperwork now to be requested in advance of a visit...extremely helpful if one has to rush back to France in case of family emergency (Covid notwithstanding that is)....
- stock of fruits and veg not getting to Northern Ireland shelves
- Holyhead port losing very large chunks of business as transporters re-route transports directly from Ireland to the continent, bypassing NI and UK.
- As said before, handling fee, VAT and taxes now to be paid on goods bought from EU sellers above a certain value threshold
- Dyson moving HQ's to Singapore while backing Brexit (and other examples like that)...

It's all been in the news in the last months and last 3 weeks...

Absolutely hunky dory so far...

Like James O'Brien mentioned this morning on LBC, this country has simply decided to beat itself on the head with a frying pan, while still having to be grateful to Mr Johnson and his ilk for gifting us that frying pan... opinions might vary of course.

You make some good points Olivier and then you spoil it by James O'Brian !  :o. I listen to Ian Dale. Which pretty well sums it up. If we have as you say nothing, we do have vaccine unless the EU decide it is unfair.