Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on May 16, 2021, 02:13:34 AM
You do realise that half the time May had members of her own party voting against the deal with the EU?

It was a colossal mess. May was completely right when she said to the whole House of Commons, they kept saying what they didn't want and couldn't articulate what they DID want. Every permutation would come up with a minority.

And how did Johnson get past that? By doing a deal with the EU but then almost immediately turning around and suggesting that the UK would breach international law when it felt like it. I guess that was May's mistake in your eyes, eh, actually trying to play by the rules.

I read what you say. May didn't have a powerful parliamentary majority, Johnson does.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

My point was that May had members of her own party that had no intention of letting her succeed.

Boris was probably one of them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on May 16, 2021, 01:29:20 PM
My point was that May had members of her own party that had no intention of letting her succeed.

Boris was probably one of them.

Yes, we essentially are saying the same. "The awkward squad" as they were called, a group of Tory remain MP's led May a merry dance. Brexit was never going to happen as they blocked it at every vote. When Johnson won the landslide election victory he gave the group an ultimatum, vote for Brexit or you will all be expelled from the party. A Tory will always put self-preservation over principle - where is Dominic Grieve now? (An old-style posh Tory who occasionally came in the shop I owned).
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on June 10, 2021, 08:19:39 AM
No-one will be able to destroy the British sausage, insists minister

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/brexit-sausage-ranil-jayawardena-8042434

I destroyed one only yesterday. :P Sadly though those sold in cafes and vans are often badly degraded if not outright suitable for vegans, so I always go for a bacon sandwich instead.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 10, 2021, 08:19:39 AM
No-one will be able to destroy the British sausage, insists minister

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/brexit-sausage-ranil-jayawardena-8042434

I found the article entertaining but utterly confusing about what the problem is?

Difficulties with exporting these sausages will destroy them?  ::)

I didn't know these were actually eaten on "The Continent"?  :D

Madiel

The bit about being a sovereign nation is so stupid. Sovereignty doesn't mean you can force other countries to buy your product if it's crappy.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: Que on June 10, 2021, 10:22:26 PM
I found the article entertaining but utterly confusing about what the problem is?

Difficulties with exporting these sausages will destroy them?  ::)

I didn't know these were actually eaten on "The Continent"?  :D

I'm geting a better picture now...

Since NI is de facto part of the internal market to prevent checks on the Irish-Irish border, the border between the internal market and (the rest of the) UK lies in the Irish Sea. EU food safety regulations stipulate that meat products imported from outside imported into the internal market can only be frozen not chilled. Because of the status of Northern Ireland, with the lapse of the grace period of 6 months this rule also apllies to meat exports to NI from the rest of the UK.

The EU urged the UK to agree to a Swiss-style "agri-food" deal, which would eliminate roughly 80 percent of checks. But the UK doesn't want to commit to an agreement on food standards with the EU. Sovereignty and all that...

So basically this is the old debate on Northern Ireland. Which can either be part of the internal market or not, but not something in between... One thing is certain: this problem is not going away. ..

What is the Brexit 'sausage war' all about?

steve ridgway

Quote from: Que on June 12, 2021, 01:23:02 AM
I'm geting a better picture now...

Since NI is de facto part of the internal market to prevent checks on the Irish-Irish border, the border between the internal market and (the rest of the) UK lies in the Irish Sea. EU food safety regulations stipulate that meat products imported from outside imported into the internal market can only be frozen not chilled. Because of the status of Northern Ireland, with the lapse of the grace period of 6 months this rule also apllies to meat exports to NI from the rest of the UK.

The EU urged the UK to agree to a Swiss-style "agri-food" deal, which would eliminate roughly 80 percent of checks. But the UK doesn't want to commit to an agreement on food standards with the EU. Sovereignty and all that...

So basically this is the old debate on Northern Ireland. Which can either be part of the internal market or not, but not something in between... One thing is certain: this problem is not going away. ..

What is the Brexit 'sausage war' all about?

Yes, Northern Ireland will either have to make their own sausages or buy them from the Republic Of Ireland. Unless they want to eat Frankenstein Food. :'(

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on May 12, 2021, 01:36:06 AM
I would agree, as an outside observer, that the EU has gone to some curious places without seemingly having a proper discussion about what the EU's role actually is. In some ways it's occupying an uncanny valley between being a group of nations cooperating with each other and being a nation in and of itself.

The Euro was the thing that really highlighted this for me (of course the UK never became part of the Eurozone). The Euro was great for Germany, but really quite terrible for some countries such as Greece who lost control of a key tool in fiscal policy (currency fluctuation), while supposedly still being responsible for their own fiscal policy.

I missed this post at the time, but now that I read it I can't help nodding in agreement.

Although all Romanian parties proclaim their firm committment to joining the Euro asap, I do hope they won't succeed any time soon. In the current, or near future foreseeable, state of our economy it would be a catastrophe.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

North Star

Quote from: Que on June 12, 2021, 01:23:02 AMThe EU urged the UK to agree to a Swiss-style "agri-food" deal, which would eliminate roughly 80 percent of checks. But the UK doesn't want to commit to an agreement on food standards with the EU. Sovereignty and all that...
I'm just waiting for BoJo to announce that the UK will abandon the metric system, and that the decimalization of the Pound will be reversed, and to keep the refugees out, Hadrian's Wall will be refortified.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Meanwhile I'm watching a bit of Euro2020. I'm fascinated by how the UK gets away with saying there are 4 separate countries when it comes to sport, but when it comes to something as important as Brexit, England gets to drag the smaller countries along.

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on June 12, 2021, 02:49:56 PM
Meanwhile I'm watching a bit of Euro2020. I'm fascinated by how the UK gets away with saying there are 4 separate countries when it comes to sport, but when it comes to something as important as Brexit, England gets to drag the smaller countries along.

The Disunited Kingdom...
But four countries? England, Wales, Scotland--is Northern Ireland the fourth?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Yes.

Except for the sports where there's an all-Ireland team instead...

Mirror Image

How much longer until Boris Trump is out-of-office? What a horrible PM he is and quite frankly I'm surprised he can even walk in a straight line. A complete doofus and lack of empathy --- he should've been thrown out with yesterday's trash.

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on June 12, 2021, 02:49:56 PM

Good point. Bet Macron didn't think of that.

steve ridgway

Quote from: North Star on June 12, 2021, 12:48:05 PM
I'm just waiting for BoJo to announce that the UK will abandon the metric system, and that the decimalization of the Pound will be reversed, and to keep the refugees out, Hadrian's Wall will be refortified.

Scotland's leader Nicola Sturgeon will be taking care of Hadrian's Wall. She closed the border for quite some time during the pandemic and I think has currently barred her subjects from visiting certain areas of England such as Blackburn. Imperial measures and currency were really good for developing mental arithmetic skills though - as a child I often had to calculate the correct change in the 12 pennies per shilling, 20 shillings per pound system in my head to avoid being swindled by one unscrupulous shop owner in particular.

Que

For those who were under the impression that Brexit is "done", a little insight in (some of the) things still to come:

Customs declarations for imports
• 1 July 2021: Delayed declarations for imports made on 1 January 2021 must be made by 25 June 2021. The option to clear goods using delayed declarations has been extended until 1 January 2022. Supplementary declarations must be submitted no later than 175 days after the date of import.
• Until 1 January 2022: Border locations without existing customs control systems at the end of transition will not be required to control goods on the basis of declarations. Until then declarations for all goods imported at such locations will need to be made before the goods arrive, either in the declarants' records or in HMRC's systems. Where declarations are made into HMRC systems traders have up to 11:59pm on the day after the day on which the goods arrived to notify HMRC that the goods have entered the country.
• 1 January 2022: Full customs declarations for imports will be required, the option for the delayed declaration scheme comes to an end. Safety and Security Declarations for imports will be required.

Sanitary and Phytosanitary controls
• 1 October 2021: Pre-notification requirements for Products of Animal Origin  (POAO), low-risk animal by-products not for human consumption (ABP), and High Risk Food Not Of Animal Origin (HRFNAO) come into force. Health certificate requirements for POAO and ABP will also come into force.
• 1 January 2022: Physical SPS checks for POAO, ABP, germinal products and HRFNAO will take place at Border Control Posts.
• 1 January 2022: Physical SPS checks on high-priority plants will take place at Border Control Posts, rather than at Places of Destination as now.
• 1 January 2022: Pre-notification requirements and documentary checks, including phytosanitary certificates will be required for all regulated plants and plant products.
• March 2022: Checks at Border Control Posts will take place on all regulated plants and plant products.
• From March 2022: Live animal checks will continue to be carried out at the point of destination as introduced on 1 January 2021. Live animal checks will move from the point of destination to designated BCPs when sufficient capacity allows.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-border-operating-model

Irons

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 13, 2021, 05:38:13 AM
Scotland's leader Nicola Sturgeon will be taking care of Hadrian's Wall. She closed the border for quite some time during the pandemic and I think has currently barred her subjects from visiting certain areas of England such as Blackburn. Imperial measures and currency were really good for developing mental arithmetic skills though - as a child I often had to calculate the correct change in the 12 pennies per shilling, 20 shillings per pound system in my head to avoid being swindled by one unscrupulous shop owner in particular.

To keep the cruise industry "afloat" during the pandemic companies such as PO came up with the idea of around Britain cruises. Sturgeon banned them from Scottish ports which took the gloss off the idea. I would have been tempted by a visit to the Scottish islands.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on August 08, 2021, 06:53:20 AM
For those who were under the impression that Brexit is "done", a little insight in (some of the) things still to come:

Customs declarations for imports
• 1 July 2021: Delayed declarations for imports made on 1 January 2021 must be made by 25 June 2021. The option to clear goods using delayed declarations has been extended until 1 January 2022. Supplementary declarations must be submitted no later than 175 days after the date of import.
• Until 1 January 2022: Border locations without existing customs control systems at the end of transition will not be required to control goods on the basis of declarations. Until then declarations for all goods imported at such locations will need to be made before the goods arrive, either in the declarants' records or in HMRC's systems. Where declarations are made into HMRC systems traders have up to 11:59pm on the day after the day on which the goods arrived to notify HMRC that the goods have entered the country.
• 1 January 2022: Full customs declarations for imports will be required, the option for the delayed declaration scheme comes to an end. Safety and Security Declarations for imports will be required.

Sanitary and Phytosanitary controls
• 1 October 2021: Pre-notification requirements for Products of Animal Origin  (POAO), low-risk animal by-products not for human consumption (ABP), and High Risk Food Not Of Animal Origin (HRFNAO) come into force. Health certificate requirements for POAO and ABP will also come into force.
• 1 January 2022: Physical SPS checks for POAO, ABP, germinal products and HRFNAO will take place at Border Control Posts.
• 1 January 2022: Physical SPS checks on high-priority plants will take place at Border Control Posts, rather than at Places of Destination as now.
• 1 January 2022: Pre-notification requirements and documentary checks, including phytosanitary certificates will be required for all regulated plants and plant products.
• March 2022: Checks at Border Control Posts will take place on all regulated plants and plant products.
• From March 2022: Live animal checks will continue to be carried out at the point of destination as introduced on 1 January 2021. Live animal checks will move from the point of destination to designated BCPs when sufficient capacity allows.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-border-operating-model
This sounds like a major headache!  :(

Quote from: Irons on August 09, 2021, 01:04:57 AM
To keep the cruise industry "afloat" during the pandemic companies such as PO came up with the idea of around Britain cruises. Sturgeon banned them from Scottish ports which took the gloss off the idea. I would have been tempted by a visit to the Scottish islands.
A fleeting hope....  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter