Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: 71 dB on October 09, 2021, 05:42:43 AM
I have been a little bit angry to Brits for being pro-Brexit, but lately the Brexit problems in the UK have become so bad that I have actually started feeling PITY for Brits. Their country is becoming fast a shithole country run by clowns. Until recently I had not followed UK politics very closely, but the more I follow, the worse it looks. Poor Brits! They are like Americans were under Trump's government of xenophobic and hate-based incompetence. Are we witnessing the downfall of the UK and its disintegration into pieces?  :-X

You're exaggerating the problems, don't believe everything you read. Petrol stations were low  for a short while, but the causes were complex, and Brexit may not have been the main one. Anyway, not one of my suppliers had a problem supplying - I have a property business and I always need tradesmen to call at my houses, but there were zero cancellations due to fuel shortages. This is in London, which is reputedly the hardest hit. The supermarket shelves seem rammed at the moment - I've just got back from one of them.

My own feeling is that the idea that there are serious problems in the Uk is a European press fiction. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Quote from: Mandryka on October 09, 2021, 07:12:01 AM
You're exaggerating the problems, don't believe everything you read. Petrol stations were low  for a short while, but the causes were complex, and Brexit may not have been the main one. Anyway, not one of my suppliers had a problem supplying - I have a property business and I always need tradesmen to call at my houses, but there were zero cancellations due to fuel shortages. This is in London, which is reputedly the hardest hit. The supermarket shelves seem rammed at the moment - I've just got back from one of them.

My own feeling is that the idea that there are serious problems in the Uk is a European press fiction.

My sentiments are not based on press, but people who follow Brexit/UK politics closely. People like Maximilien Robespierre and Michael Lambert.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Irons

Quote from: 71 dB on October 09, 2021, 07:31:59 AM
My sentiments are not based on press, but people who follow Brexit/UK politics closely. People like Maximilien Robespierre and Michael Lambert.

I guess Maximilien Robespierre is a joke - on me as I looked him up. :-[ As for the other feller, I looked him up too. Now I understand where you are coming from with your views.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on October 11, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
I guess Maximilien Robespierre is a joke - on me as I looked him up. :-[ As for the other feller, I looked him up too. Now I understand where you are coming from with your views.

MR must in this case be a you-tube alias. There is one who has chosen that name, dealing a lot with Brexit.

71 dB

Quote from: Irons on October 11, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
I guess Maximilien Robespierre is a joke - on me as I looked him up. :-[ 
It is a really funny name for sure, but that is the name of his (I don't know his real name) Youtube Channel taken from the French 18th century lawyer and statesman.

Quote from: Irons on October 11, 2021, 01:40:48 PMAs for the other feller, I looked him up too. Now I understand where you are coming from with your views.

Well, good.  $:)

Irons

Quote from: 71 dB on October 11, 2021, 04:55:10 PM
It is a really funny name for sure, but that is the name of his (I don't know his real name) Youtube Channel taken from the French 18th century lawyer and statesman.

Well, good.  $:)

Oh right. Thanks for explanation as I didn't get past the 18th C statesman.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 11, 2021, 11:30:17 PM
Oh right. Thanks for explanation as I didn't get past the 18th C statesman.
Talking to us from the Great Beyond?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 12, 2021, 04:07:41 AM
Talking to us from the Great Beyond?  :)

PD

;D
Yes, I thought he may of said "Those Brits don't know their backside from their elbow". Bit disappointed some bloke on a YT channel. :(

Spotted Horses

I certainly think brexit was a dumb idea and people were led to vote for it for reasons that are generally not valid. But I tire of the haranguing that Brexit is this unimaginable catastrophe. Norway and Switzerland are not EU members, and their lack of EU membership has not banished them to the stone age. The UK will be fine, if different in subtle ways, without EU membership.  It is a tiny blip in the UK's gradual and inevitable descent from dominant global power to global irrelevancy.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

71 dB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 12, 2021, 07:57:03 AM
Norway and Switzerland are not EU members, and their lack of EU membership has not banished them to the stone age.

That's because those countries are less arrogant and are part of EU customs territory and have good trade deals. The UK could have gotten a much softer Brexit, but Boris Johnson & co. didn't want that to appeal to the xenophobes.  :P

Irons

I certainly think brexit was a dumb idea and people were led to vote for it for reasons that are generally not valid. But I tire of the haranguing that Brexit is this unimaginable catastrophe. Norway and Switzerland are not EU members, and their lack of EU membership has not banished them to the stone age. The UK will be fine, if different in subtle ways, without EU membership.  It is a tiny blip in the UK's gradual and inevitable descent from dominant global power to global irrelevancy.

If this is not the most sensible post of 90 pages I will eat a LP record and on zoom to prove it. I agree with every word, including I might add, the first and last sentences.

Que

Norway is part of the internal market aka the European Economic Area, the economic union between the EU members and a few countries that are not a member. The position of Switzerland resembles EEA membership very closely through a myriad of bilateral agreements.

Though the Brexit referendum was only about EU membership, the Tories decided that leaving the EU wasn't good enough. All close economic ties had to be cut as well, safe for a basic agreement on tariffs on goods.
The UK didn't want to become a "rule taker", and its true: Norway and Switzerland are rule takers with a few exceptions.
But you become a rule taker if you leave the decision making table (the EU), like the UK, or refuse to join due to popular sentiment, like Norway and Switzerland.

Anyway, it's not the renouncing of EU membership that is doing all the economic damage. It is because the UK left the internal market. The "tiny blip" is like boosting a previously very slow process of imperial decline with rocket fuel.

Quote from: Irons on October 12, 2021, 10:30:47 AM
If this is not the most sensible post of 90 pages I will eat a LP record and on zoom to prove it. I agree with every word, including I might add, the first and last sentences.

Well...

J.A.W.

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2021, 12:44:22 PM
Norway is part of the internal market aka the European Economic Area, the economic union between the EU members and a few countries that are not a member. The position of Switzerland resembles EEA membership very closely through a myriad of agreements.

Though the Brexit referendum was only about EU membership, the Tories decided that leaving the EU wasn't good enough. All close economic ties had to be cut as well, safe for a basic agreement on tariffs on goods.
The UK didn't want to become a "rule taker", and its true: Norway and Switzerland are rule takers with a few exceptions.
But you become a rule taker if you leave the decision making table (the EU), like the UK, or refuse to join due to popular sentiment, like Norway and Switzerland.

Anyway, it's not the renouncing of EU membership that is doing all the economic damage. It is because the UK left the internal market. The "tiny blip" is like boosting a previously very slow process of imperial decline with rocket fuel.

Well...

The various treaties with Switzerland are finite and will expire in due course, as the Swiss government has cut short negotiations on a comprehensive new treaty.to replace the existing ones. Switzerland will then have more or less the same status as the UK.
Hans

Scion7

" . . . the UK's gradual and inevitable descent from dominant global power to global irrelevancy."
Quote from: Irons on October 12, 2021, 10:30:47 AM

Here's the sticky wicket: England is a strategic nuclear power.  Even with its relatively modest amount of warheads, they are capable of loosing a global catastrophe beyond the scope of our worst nightmare - so, irrelevancy will never be a factor until the world disarms - I won't be waiting at the door for that time to pop up!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Que

Quote from: J.A.W. on October 12, 2021, 01:54:33 PM
The various treaties with Switzerland are finite and will expire in due course, as the Swiss government has cut short negotiations on a comprehensive new treaty.to replace the existing ones. Switzerland will then have more or less the same status as the UK.

We don't know what is going to happen.

And I'm not aware that current treaties will cease to exist if Switzerland will continue to refuse to agree with the more comprehensive agreement, just that the EU has indicated that it is not willing to further the relationship by continuing to conclude new bilateral agreements. It's threatening therefore with a "standstill", which will gradually erode the economic relationship, not with an "Swizexit". Unless the Swizz themselves would decide to cut the close economic ties. No chance in hell, I would say...

Que

Quote from: Scion7 on October 12, 2021, 02:08:39 PM
" . . . the UK's gradual and inevitable descent from dominant global power to global irrelevancy."
Here's the sticky wicket: England is a strategic nuclear power.  Even with its relatively modest amount of warheads, they are capable of loosing a global catastrophe beyond the scope of our worst nightmare - so, irrelevancy will never be a factor until the world disarms - I won't be waiting at the door for that time to pop up!

Pakistan has nuclear weapons as well.

Scion7

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2021, 02:18:37 PM
Pakistan has nuclear weapons as well.
Quite.  But they aren't a strategic power - they could make a mess of things locally - but they don't have Trident-D capable ballistic missile submarines prowling the ocean with dozens of warheads that are virtually unstoppable. 
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

J.A.W.

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2021, 02:16:08 PM
We don't know what is going to happen.

And I'm not aware that current treaties will cease to exist if Switzerland will continue to refuse to agree with the more comprehensive agreement, just that the EU has indicated that it is not willing to further the relationship by continuing to conclude new bilateral agreements. It's threatening therefore with a "standstill", which will gradually erode the economic relationship, not with an "Swizexit". Unless the Swizz themselves would decide to cut the close economic ties. No chance in hell, I would say...

I understand that the current treaties all have an end date, that the EU is not willing to extend them and that they want Switzerland to sign an all-encompassing treaty instead that will replace the existing ones.
Hans

Madiel

Quote from: J.A.W. on October 12, 2021, 01:54:33 PM

Nevertheless, the comment was about Switzerland's current position, not about its future one. Norway and Switzerland are not good current comparisons for the UK's position, because Norway and Switzerland both have arrangements with the EU that are close than the one the UK has gone for.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

J.A.W.

Quote from: Madiel on October 12, 2021, 06:00:57 PM
Nevertheless, the comment was about Switzerland's current position, not about its future one. Norway and Switzerland are not good current comparisons for the UK's position, because Norway and Switzerland both have arrangements with the EU that are close than the one the UK has gone for.

That's right.
Hans