Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Plus Norway has a, to put it rather mildly, a privileged position, due to the ginormous black, slimy substance reserves ...

The new erato

You need it for your vinyl LPs!

MusicTurner

Well, to be fair - who cannot but love Norway anyway ...

(A a side remark, I was re-visiting Joanna Lumley's trip to look for the Northern Lights there the other day, which is accompanied by Grieg music. Really recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8xd6xnZ9U ...)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 13, 2021, 03:17:43 AM
Well, to be fair - who cannot but love Norway anyway ...

(A a side remark, I was re-visiting Joanna Lumley's trip to look for the Northern Lights there the other day, which is accompanied by Grieg music. Really recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8xd6xnZ9U ...)
Thank you so much for sharing that link!  It was wonderful...made me cry to see her so happy and enjoyed watching the video of the lights.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, there are some quite rare moments in it ...

71 dB

Another Brexit "benefit" for the brits:

Tesco products will disappear from S-Market (a BIG supermarket chain here in Finland) because importing the products into Finland has become difficult due to GB's 3rd country status post Brexit. The French Carrefour is planning to fill the gap left by the British retailer.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MusicTurner

At least Carrefour is good, we've been hoping for them here for quite a long time (no Tescos here, but there is/was some in the Czech Republic, for example).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 13, 2021, 05:10:23 AM
Thank you so much for sharing that link!  It was wonderful...made me cry to see her so happy and enjoyed watching the video of the lights.

PD
+1 Lovely piece of film.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2021, 02:10:23 PM
+1 Lovely piece of film.

Yes, one could hope to experience that phenomenon some time. Requires circumstances and logistics suitable for a winter trip into rather remote areas, however.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 18, 2021, 10:45:33 PM
Yes, one could hope to experience that phenomenon some time. Requires circumstances and logistics suitable for a winter trip into rather remote areas, however.
I was amazed at how many layers of clothing she had to put on!  ???

Loved watching Ab Fab!  First show that I recall seeing her on here in the States.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, Ab Fab was unusually funny ;D .

I don't know much about her earlier career, but she had been a minor star for quite a lot of decades, apparently.
Amazing how she's similar in ... 1968: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rgiZMYSFsA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 19, 2021, 05:08:57 AM
Yes, Ab Fab was unusually funny ;D .

I don't know much about her earlier career, but she had been a minor star for decades, apparently.
I always felt sorry for the daughter.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Joanna Lumley is married to a conductor.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 07:00:13 AM
Joanna Lumley is married to a conductor.
Oh, neat!  Have you watched any of her travel shows?  From the one segment that I saw, they look like they would be quite interesting.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 19, 2021, 07:06:22 AM
Oh, neat!  Have you watched any of her travel shows?  From the one segment that I saw, they look like they would be quite interesting.

PD

She is a bit of a national treasure, PD. I found out about her musical director husband when she appeared on "Desert Island Discs". Yes, I have followed her travel shows, the best I thought, was India. The visit to the Golden Temple was absolutely amazing.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 07:15:02 AM
She is a bit of a national treasure, PD. I found out about her musical director husband when she appeared on "Desert Island Discs". Yes, I have followed her travel shows, the best I thought, was India. The visit to the Golden Temple was absolutely amazing.
Nice to read that.  I will look to see if I can watch that one on India somewhere.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

While the deadlock between the UK and the EU on the Northern Ireland protocol continues, the UK raises the stakes:

Frost says Britain's problem with governance of protocol goes beyond role of ECJ

"The problem is far too much EU law applies directly in Northern Ireland. That's the core of the problem. We don't see that so much of it should apply. And therefore the interpretive role of the [ECJ]is also limited,"

The core element of the deal on the protocol was that NI would remain part of the internal market. What Frost is advocating boils down to taking NI out of the internal market altogether. He offers some kind of regulatory alignment (with the internal market) instead, but sees at the same time any regulatory divergence between NI and the UK as a key problem:

"But the problem we have – and this is why we keep focusing on long-run stability – is that if you maintain a system where lots of EU law applies without consent, in the end you set up divergence between Northern Ireland and Great Britain as we legislate in a different way."

So how is NI to be kept in simultaneous economic regulatory alignment with the EU and the UK if rules between the two would diverge?  ::)

Another beautiful example of "cakeism".....What the UK is actually aiming for, is blowing up the NI protocol and moving the customs border in the Irish Sea to the border between NI and the Irish Republic.

It's hard to predict what happens next...
The UK is playing a dangerous game. The Irish Republic wants to avoid a hard border with NI and keep the peace at all cost. If the UK doesn't back down, and the Irish cannot get (keep) what they need, I don't rule out the possibility that the entire UK-EU trade deal would be blown up. But that would require Johnson willing to pay that price - would be prepared to do that?

Meanwhile polls show that the majority of the population of NI wants to keep the protocol if some practical difficulties can be ironed out. Of course they do: it would mean keeping the peace and economic prosperity for NI.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on October 30, 2021, 02:23:18 AM
While the deadlock between the UK and the EU on the Northern Ireland protocol continues, the UK raises the stakes:

Frost says Britain's problem with governance of protocol goes beyond role of ECJ

"The problem is far too much EU law applies directly in Northern Ireland. That's the core of the problem. We don't see that so much of it should apply. And therefore the interpretive role of the [ECJ]is also limited,"

The core element of the deal on the protocol was that NI would remain part of the internal market. What Frost is advocating boils down to taking NI out of the internal market altogether. He offers some kind of regulatory alignment (with the internal market) instead, but sees at the same time any regulatory divergence between NI and the UK as a key problem:

"But the problem we have – and this is why we keep focusing on long-run stability – is that if you maintain a system where lots of EU law applies without consent, in the end you set up divergence between Northern Ireland and Great Britain as we legislate in a different way."

So how is NI to be kept in simultaneous economic regulatory alignment with the EU and the UK if rules between the two would diverge?  ::)

Another beautiful example of "cakeism".....What the UK is actually aiming for, is blowing up the NI protocol and moving the customs border in the Irish Sea to the border between NI and the Irish Republic.

It's hard to predict what happens next...
The UK is playing a dangerous game. The Irish Republic wants to avoid a hard border with NI and keep the peace at all cost. If the UK doesn't back down, and the Irish cannot get (keep) what they need, I don't rule out the possibility that the entire UK-EU trade deal would be blown up. But that would require Johnson willing to pay that price - would be prepared to do that?

Meanwhile polls show that the majority of the population of NI wants to keep the protocol if some practical difficulties can be ironed out. Of course they do: it would mean keeping the peace and economic prosperity for NI.
I've been wondering for some time how things are currently in terms of peace between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland post-Brexit.  What do others here suggest needs to be done to avoid going back to Troubles times?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

The claim that EU law is going to apply "without consent" demonstrates either of 2 possibilities:

1. The UK government didn't understand what it was agreeing to.
2. The UK government wants to ignore what it agreed to.

The protocol didn't spring into being on its own. It was part of the deal. That the country that made a deal necessary in the first place can't grasp the content is an absolutely searing indictment of the incompetence of the UK government.  It might be different if there'd been a change in which party was governing, but no, we're talking about the exact same government that made the deal it either doesn't understand or pretends it doesn't understand.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Things are going south, the Brexit saga is drawing to a close:

Brexit: Irish minister says UK 'preparing' to suspend parts of NI deal

Obviously, the UK govt is not interested in solving problems but instead in creating them...