Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Believe that we need to start this thread in the Diner on the 'new' GMG Forum for our non-classical listening posts - here is the LINK to the same thread on the 'old' forum - for those just joining us, the old thread contains 179 pages w/ many posts discussing & recommending all different types of non-classical music - take a look, if interested.

For those w/ an interest in Bluegrass & Old Timey Mountain String Music, an article in my local newspaper this AM peaked an interest.  Just north of Winston-Salem (NC) is Mt. Airy just about on the Virginia state line - home of Andy Griffith of Mayberry fame & the old TV show.  Well, the place has a long time rich tradition of 'old time' country music (acoustic, strings, etc.) - that station has gone 'on-line' - check here WPAQ 740 AM; that article claimed that this is the third oldest radio station in the country still w/ 'live' programming. Report back if you enjoy -  :D

PaulR

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM
For those w/ an interest in Bluegrass & Old Timey Mountain String Music, an article in my local newspaper this AM peaked an interest.  Just north of Winston-Salem (NC) is Mt. Airy just about on the Virginia state line - home of Andy Griffith of Mayberry fame & the old TV show.  Well, the place has a long time rich tradition of 'old time' country music (acoustic, strings, etc.) - that station has gone 'on-line' - check here WPAQ 740 AM; that article claimed that this is the third oldest radio station in the country still w/ 'live' programming. Report back if you enjoy -  :D

Oops, I forgot to mention - the first 'streaming' of this channel online included some fiddling by Benton Flippen, a legend from the area - he is now 86 y/o (pic below of how he now looks); but if you want to hear what this music is about, pick up the excellent Rounder disc - these are recordings from 1949 to 1993, done in North Carolina, including several in my home town of Winston-Salem (just 45 mins south on HW 52 - beautiful view of Pilot Mtn!); BTW, the front picture on this CD is from about 1950; he first appeared on WPAQ in 1948.  :)

SonicMan46

Thomas 'Fats' Waller (1904-1943) - jazz pianist, composer, & comedic entertainer - just received the 3-CD box set in the mail (previously, had only a 1-CD overview compilation - plenty of these are available & good way to be introduced to Fats); the box set - first CD: his own compositions & performances; second CD: instrumental works; and third CD: performances of others - click on the image for track listings & reviews of the set, which is quite 'cheap' on Amazon (got my set from BMG Music Club); the booklet is long w/ plenty of pics & superb.  Second image of him w/ the beautiful Lena Horne from Stormy Weather, not a great movie, but the entertainment is wonderful, including that of Fats!  If you are unware of this great American personality, then an introduction is needed quickly - give him a try & report back!   ;D :)

Edit - just wanted to try & bring a previous post into the 'new' forum - the 'modify' button on my old post was not available to me - so had to 'copy & paste', do some HTML reformatting, & also 'copy the imaging properties' - just FYI; if there is an easier way, please let us know - thanks -  :)

hornteacher

bhodges

Romeo Void: Instincts - One of my favorite "new wave" bands (that term sounds almost quaint) from the 1980s, based in San Francisco.  The CD release from 2003 has a bonus track, "In the Dark."

--Bruce

Dungeon Master

The Crane Wife, by The Decemberists, a truly quirky independent rock band whose lyrics are based on as diverse topics as pirates and Japanese traditional tales. Their "Shankhill Butchers" is a beautiful, haunting song about serial killers in Ireland in the mid 1970's. Believe it or not.

toledobass

Neko Case's live set from Austin City Limits.  

Allan

bhodges

Marguerite Mariama: Wild Women Never Get the Blues - Multi-talented (she has a Ph.D. in Performance Education) and with a big, sultry voice.  Her bio is here

--Bruce

The Emperor

George

Quote from: Bill on April 09, 2007, 06:11:44 PM
Just a bit ago, the sound of the baseball popping my son's mit in a game of catch with him.  Life does not get better than this.

Reading that gave a nice, warm feeling.  :)

karlhenning

Manzanera, "Leyenda" / "Frontera '91" / "Southern Cross" / "Sphinx"

Drasko

Polyushko-Pole by Red Army Choir in 1934 recording conducted probably by Alexandrov himself, from this russian website

http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/download.php?fname=polpol2

orbital

Listening to a lot of Air CD's these days. I'm getting ready for their concert on May 10th. I have to get acquainted with their newest release which I am not familiar with yet  ::)

George

Quote from: orbital on April 11, 2007, 09:30:37 AM
Listening to a lot of Air CD's these days. I'm getting ready for their concert on May 10th. I have to get acquainted with their newest release which I am not familiar with yet  ::)

Yeah, I'm the same way I like to know the music pretty well before I hear it.

Yesterdays listening: Live- The Distance to Here

George

Quote from: rockerreds on April 11, 2007, 08:10:10 AM
Good 'un!

I wear black on the outside, 'cause black is how I feel on the inside

and If I seem a little strange....well that's because I am.

8)