Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1286667 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Constantin Silvestri (1913-1969)
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12040 on: August 15, 2022, 07:43:30 AM »
It is also the kind of book that wins the Booker Prize, and get voted to be the most significant book to have won the Booker Prize.

The Nobel Prize for Literature has been heavily controversial and politicized during the last two or three decades. Am I wrong in inferring that the Booker Prize might be the same?
"I’ve always said music should make you laugh, make you cry or make you think." - Kenny Rogers

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #12041 on: August 15, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »
The Nobel Prize for Literature has been heavily controversial and politicized during the last two or three decades. Am I wrong in inferring that the Booker Prize might be the same?

Everything is political. The booker prize is widely respected in the literary world and represents that mindset. The final selection is made by a small panel so of course there is nothing definitive about it. However, I can't recall a Booker Prize winner that was not widely recognized as having literary merit.

I read Midnight's Children, only vaguely remember it, except that the "magical realism" genre didn't appeal to me. That doesn't change the fact that it is widely respected as a great book.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:00:48 AM by Spotted Horses »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12042 on: August 15, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »
Everything is political.

Sad but true.

The booker prize is widely respected in the literary world and represents that mindset. The final selection is made by a small panel so of course there is nothing definitive about it. However, I can't recall a Booker Prize winner that was not widely recognized as having literary merit.

Thanks.

I haven't read any Rushdie yet but my understanding is that he's a major contemporary writer.
"I’ve always said music should make you laugh, make you cry or make you think." - Kenny Rogers

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12043 on: August 15, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
the "magical realism" genre didn't appeal to me.

Like in Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #12044 on: August 15, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »
Like in Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Midnight's Children "magical" elements are of a different nature. The main conceit of the novel is that all children born in the hour that India/Pakistan achieved independence have telepathic powers and communicate with each other. The "magical" element is the foundation of the story I don't recall anything so explicitly magical in Garcia Marquez, although I have not read all of his works. Love in the time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are the works I have most recently read.

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #12045 on: August 15, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »
A lot of ghosts come back to have conversations in One Hundred Years of Solitude, but overall in Garcia Marquez the "magic" elements of the story provide color, commentary, and a Greek chorus-like element, rather than being absolutely essential to the basic plot.

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #12046 on: August 15, 2022, 02:40:49 PM »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12047 on: August 16, 2022, 12:15:19 AM »
Midnight's Children "magical" elements are of a different nature. The main conceit of the novel is that all children born in the hour that India/Pakistan achieved independence have telepathic powers and communicate with each other. The "magical" element is the foundation of the story I don't recall anything so explicitly magical in Garcia Marquez, although I have not read all of his works. Love in the time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are the works I have most recently read.

I see, thanks. Yes, quite different from Marquez.

Offline Artem

• Veteran member
« Reply #12048 on: August 16, 2022, 07:44:30 AM »
It is also the kind of book that wins the Booker Prize, and get voted to be the most significant book to have won the Booker Prize.
The Booker prize is an odd one for me. Almost everything I read with the Booker sticker left me dissatisfied. Interesting storytelling but without any lasting impression. Perfect reading for a beach vacation. International Booker prize may be a bit more engaging.