Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1023058 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10760 on: April 17, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »
After a few false starts I'm now well into yet another great book, one that was much discussed here a couple of months ago. Shusaku Endo's Silence.

So far I'm really enjoying it. The images of a religion practiced in persecution in a bleak and destitute corner of the world (from the eyes of the protagonist, a Portuguese priest, that is) are incredibly striking. It's hard for me to fathom being in the shoes of any one of these characters, so rough is the hand that each is dealt. Anyway, reading this has put me very much in a historical frame of mind that I enjoy being in. Clearly a meaningful book. I look forward to reading it more over the days to come.

I’m about a third of the way in now. Wow. I wasn’t ready for how good this book would be...

By the way, I just read the part where our protagonist wanders the mountains in solitude, while listening to Arvo Pärt’s Sarah Was Ninety Years Old. It was such a perfect fit I couldn’t help but wonder whether it was inspired by this book. More likely is that both Pärt and Endō were inspired by similar feelings.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #10761 on: April 18, 2021, 01:34:33 AM »
After a few false starts I'm now well into yet another great book, one that was much discussed here a couple of months ago. Shusaku Endo's Silence.

So far I'm really enjoying it. The images of a religion practiced in persecution in a bleak and destitute corner of the world (from the eyes of the protagonist, a Portuguese priest, that is) are incredibly striking. It's hard for me to fathom being in the shoes of any one of these characters, so rough is the hand that each is dealt. Anyway, reading this has put me very much in a historical frame of mind that I enjoy being in. Clearly a meaningful book. I look forward to reading it more over the days to come.

I have read that one albeit a couple of years ago. I found it to be compelling reading.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10762 on: April 18, 2021, 03:12:45 AM »
I’m about a third of the way in now. Wow. I wasn’t ready for how good this book would be...

By the way, I just read the part where our protagonist wanders the mountains in solitude, while listening to Arvo Pärt’s Sarah Was Ninety Years Old. It was such a perfect fit I couldn’t help but wonder whether it was inspired by this book. More likely is that both Pärt and Endō were inspired by similar feelings.

I have read that one albeit a couple of years ago. I found it to be compelling reading.

Looks like a book right up my alley, thank you gentlemen for mentioning it.

And lo and behold! it has been translated into Romanian so I'll order it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:14:50 AM by Florestan »
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. --- Victor Hugo

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #10763 on: April 18, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »
Yes vg book and excellent writing/structure though the story is depressing and hard to take. Several people I know in the U.S like the book. Also, Endo's The Sea and Poison is considered to be his masterpiece in Japan while it won the Akutagawa Prize. It is a solid work and I recommend it.

@Andrei, the book looks awsome. Please post your thoughts after reading it. We will discuss.

Correction: Endo's White Man, not The Sea and Poison, won the Akutagawa Prize. I regret my error.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:19:09 PM by Dry Brett Kavanaugh »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #10764 on: April 18, 2021, 04:33:53 AM »
And lo and behold! it has been translated into Romanian so I'll order it.

Serendipity  8)

It is not necessarily an easy read but it is an engrossing one. Enjoy it when you eventually get it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10765 on: April 18, 2021, 04:37:11 AM »
@Andrei, the book looks awsome. Please post your thoughts after reading it. We will discuss.

I'll surely do, Matt.
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. --- Victor Hugo

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10766 on: April 18, 2021, 05:34:47 AM »
Just ordered (Romanian translations all):

Shusaku Endo - Silence
Eric Emmanuel Schmitt - Madame Pylinska and the Secret of Chopin
Thomas Mann - Buddenbrooks
Thomas Mann - Lotte in Weimar
Flaubert - Sentimental Education

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #10767 on: April 18, 2021, 05:39:42 AM »
Yes vg book and excellent writing/structure though the story is depressing and hard to take. Several people I know in the U.S like the book. Also, Endo's The Sea and Poison is considered to be his masterpiece in Japan while it won the Akutagawa Prize. It is a solid work and I recommend it.

Will definitely check this out next. Thanks. Endo has written a handful of very acclaimed books it seems, many of which seem to be eclipsed today by the success of Silence. It appears he is a Japanese writer of serious stature and is now very much on my radar, now that I've started reading this book. Can't wait to read more of his work.

Shusaku Endo - Silence

I read Buddenbrooks last year and it absolutely blew me away. Probably one of the five greatest books I've ever read. Mann was a genius. Please do let me know what you think when you read it. Same goes for Silence.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10768 on: April 18, 2021, 05:47:15 AM »
Mann was a genius.

Wholeheartedly agrred. I read Doktor Faustus and The Magic Mountain several times each --- and each time I was spellbound.

Please do let me  know what you think when you read it. Same goes for Silence.

Will most certainly do.

• Veteran member
« Reply #10769 on: April 18, 2021, 05:50:29 AM »

Shusaku Endo - Silence

Haven't read Lotte In Weimar. I must get a copy.

Will definitely check this out next. Thanks. Endo has written a handful of very acclaimed books it seems, many of which seem to be eclipsed today by the success of Silence. It appears he is a Japanese writer of serious stature and is now very much on my radar, now that I've started reading this book. Can't wait to read more of his work.

Half of his literary works are collections of funny and silly essays while the other half are dark novels highlighting the lack of erhics in the Japanese society/culture. He personally thinks that 1) Japanese lack ethics/moral 2) because they are not Christian. Fine with 1), but not sure about 2).

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10770 on: April 18, 2021, 06:11:52 AM »
Haven't read Lotte In Weimar. I must get a copy.

I've read many moons ago (a loan copy) and I remember enjoying it greatly. Can't hurt having it permanently at hands, methinks.

He personally thinks that 1) Japanese lack ethics/moral 2) because they are not Christian. Fine with 1), but not sure about 2).

/OT Rant/

I'm a Christian (Greek Orthodox). I don't know about (1) because I've never been to Japan but I find (2) to be a non-Christian notion. Only God / Jesus Christ know who is a Christian and who is not, cf:

Matthew 7:21-23 (New King James Version)

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

I'm much more interested in practising my faith and correcting my own sins than in reproaching others for not following my own faith and being sinful on their own.

Cf. Romans 12:19 (King James Bible) --- Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

/End of OT rant./

• Veteran member
« Reply #10771 on: April 18, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »

Shusaku Endo - Silence

Are these translations of the original text, or English text? What kind of people are these translators? Academics?
Thank you for the powerful quotes from the Bible.

P.s. I remember you indicated that in the Romanian language, a letter exclusively signifies only one sound, and one sound is wrtitten/expressed by a single letter exclusively, something like that.  Ghoti = fish
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:34:22 PM by Dry Brett Kavanaugh »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10772 on: April 18, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »
Are these translations of the original text, or English text? What kind of people are these translators? Academics?

Usually they are translated from the original by professional translators, some of whom might be academics as well.

P.s. I remember you indicated that in the Romanian language, a letter exclusively signifies only one sound, and one sound is wrtitten/expressed by a single letter exclusively, something like that.  Ghoti = fish

Yes.

• Veteran member
« Reply #10773 on: Today at 10:51:52 AM »
History of quantum physics and the theory of Quantum Gravity, discussed by my favorite scientist. Always nice read.