Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 218078 times)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
  • Currently Listening to:
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #5320 on: Today at 02:06:42 AM »
I don't think it is in creasing. Full vaccination is now over 82% and expected to go up to around 90% in the weeks to come.

The issue is that now almost everybody around them is vaccinated and social pressure is rising, the stance of antivaxers and the social debate are hardening.

These numbers are for adults, right? With delta-variant that is deceiving, because also children are affected easily. I believe the Netherlands is around 71 % ref whole population for at least one shot.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #5321 on: Today at 04:44:24 AM »
It says the boy WON in the court and can have the jab.  :)
Yes, and I'm happy for him.  Sorry for the confusion, but the "frowny face" was for the news in the article about the number of anti-vexers increasing in the Netherlands.

I don't think it is increasing. Full vaccination is now over 82% and expected to go up to around 90% in the weeks to come.

The issue is that now almost everybody around them is vaccinated and social pressure is rising, the stance of antivaxers and the social debate are hardening.
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the minority is getting more vocal?

PD

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #5322 on: Today at 06:40:48 AM »
I don't think it is in creasing. Full vaccination is now over 82% and expected to go up to around 90% in the weeks to come.

I agree. We see a hardening of positions from both sides here, too. A law has been passed yesterday to prevent anti-vax manifestations around schools and hospitals (they would gather around students with megaphones and harass them). Lots of tensions as anti-vaxxers see their options running out… >:(

Offline greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #5323 on: Today at 07:14:22 AM »
but the culture of racist attitudes from the police
This is certainly a problem. But also there is also a problem with the hypermasculine gangster culture in black communities which glorifies running from the police and resisting arrest. Also a problem is the narrative of the cops being racist by default- it's going to lead to a defensive reaction, leading to more likelihood of escalation.

There was story I heard on NPR years ago about a young black man driving on a country road and the cops tried to pull him over. He got scared because he was hearing stories about what cops have done before when pulling people over on country roads. So he drove a while to get to a safe place, a gas station or something. By then, the cops thought he was trying to run away from him and treated him aggressively. So you see how the situation is not exactly one-sided and having a certain narrative in mind makes things more complicated. The cop could have been bad. But also could have been just fine, you really don't know.

that has had every one of them treated as potential/probable criminals for their whole lives and they always feel just one comment away from being hurt by police in any encounter.
Not necessarily the case, people's experience varies. This is narrative, not actual fact.

I suggest talking to them for what I can only assume will be the first time
Probably about a third of my childhood friends were black, the environment I grew up in wasn't exactly the ghetto, but it was much closer to what we're talking about then people from places like New Zealand or Finland.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:16:38 AM by greg »
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #5324 on: Today at 08:26:19 AM »
I agree. We see a hardening of positions from both sides here, too. A law has been passed yesterday to prevent anti-vax manifestations around schools and hospitals (they would gather around students with megaphones and harass them). Lots of tensions as anti-vaxxers see their options running out… >:(

Same thing here, André.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5325 on: Today at 09:18:02 AM »
Probably about a third of my childhood friends were black, the environment I grew up in wasn't exactly the ghetto, but it was much closer to what we're talking about then people from places like New Zealand or Finland.

We have black people here in Finland. I'm sure there are black people in New Zealand. We have racism in Finland. I'm sure there's racism in  New Zealand as well. Simon and I living far away from the US in much more white countries doesn't mean we can't understand racism and how racism manifests itself in the US police/politics/society. All it really takes is to go beyond white priviledge upholding mainstream media.  :P

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5326 on: Today at 09:26:17 AM »
These numbers are for adults, right? With delta-variant that is deceiving, because also children are affected easily. I believe the Netherlands is around 71 % ref whole population for at least one shot.

Correct - from 18 years. Though 12-18 years old are now being vaccinated as well.

Edit: the percentage of full vaccination of anyone over 12 years old is 79%.
https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/people-who-had-one-jab-after-having-covid-19-now-included-in-vaccination-coverage-figures

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the minority is getting more vocal?

You could say it like that, "hysterical" paints a more accurate picture. Like Americans the Dutch don't like others to tell them what to do, but the difference is the trust in authorities - which is high with the Dutch and rather low in the US.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:30:22 AM by Que »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5327 on: Today at 12:39:08 PM »
Correct - from 18 years. Though 12-18 years old are now being vaccinated as well.

Edit: the percentage of full vaccination of anyone over 12 years old is 79%.
https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/people-who-had-one-jab-after-having-covid-19-now-included-in-vaccination-coverage-figures

"People who had one jab after having COVID-19 now included in vaccination coverage figures for full vaccination."

Finland has used vaccination numbers ref whole population and full vaccination means full vaccination: 73.5 % for at least one jab and 60.0 % for fully vaccinated. Making the numbers look good with math tricks doesn't help with the pandemic.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5328 on: Today at 12:48:38 PM »
"People who had one jab after having COVID-19 now included in vaccination coverage figures for full vaccination."

Finland has used vaccination numbers ref whole population and full vaccination means full vaccination: 73.5 % for at least one jab and 60.0 % for fully vaccinated. Making the numbers look good with math tricks doesn't help with the pandemic.

People who experienced a Covid infection before vaccination, are only vaccinated once instead of two times.
It's not a math trick, they are fully vaccinated.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #5329 on: Today at 01:19:22 PM »
Now 60 % of Finns are fully vaccinated. They say in the end of October enough people will be vaccinated to "open" the society, but we'll see. All we need is a new variant and we are back in square one:(

Really? Why would that be so?
Cheers

Holden