What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 09, 2024, 12:16:49 PMIt's set in Italy (any guesses as to where?)

Hmmm.... certainly not Portofino!  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

The Golden Hour (Netflix), Pay Back (Britbox), Barry (Max)

VonStupp

Sarah Jane Adventures
5 Seasons (2007-2011)
Elisabeth Sladen

Side adventures to the Doctor Who universe for young adults. A blast to see K9!
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on March 09, 2024, 10:56:26 AMSomeone's just put me on to Midnight Diner and I am very impressed. Presumably @Dry Brett Kavanaugh knows it well!

My friend, who is an African-American tenor sax player, enthusiastically told me about the drama. I will check it out!

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 09, 2024, 01:55:54 PMMy friend, who is an African-American tenor sax player, enthusiastically told me about the drama. I will check it out!

It's got the same sort of lyricism and humour as Northern Exposure. More tragedy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

I'm enjoying The Gilded Age.

The show is set in 1883. In fact Oscar Wilde visited the US in 1882. The awful play in the show was The Nihilists, which actually premiered in NY in 1883.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

George

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Fëanor

I've been enjoying the Netflix series, The Gentlemen. This is a typical and, I'd say successful, Guy Ritchie crime-comedy -- convoluted plot with a few unexpected twists. It's getting 8.3* at IMDB; I give it 7.5*.

Iota

Prisoner

Not sure Scandi gets much noir-er or more intense than this. A Danish crime drama about prisoners and their warders, the latter seeming almost as much prisoners as the former. Brutal, unforgiving, with acting that portrays the bleakness, despair and struggle of all, shorn of any rose tinting, Sofie Gråbøl (who is so different from her 'The Killing' character!) and David Dencik in particular, excel unwaveringly in gritty lead roles, but it's one of those series where every character convinces to the last detail. All topped off by a supernova climax. Superb in every way.

drogulus

Quote from: Iota on March 16, 2024, 07:39:02 AM

Prisoner

Not sure Scandi gets much noir-er or more intense than this. A Danish crime drama about prisoners and their warders, the latter seeming almost as much prisoners as the former. Brutal, unforgiving, with acting that portrays the bleakness, despair and struggle of all, shorn of any rose tinting, Sofie Gråbøl (who is so different from her 'The Killing' character!) and David Dencik in particular, excel unwaveringly in gritty lead roles, but it's one of those series where every character convinces to the last detail. All topped off by a supernova climax. Superb in every way.

Ican'tfinditanywhereohokhereitis.

Unfortunately I'll have to pass on this one. It seems Someone is freaked out by prison stuff.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Iota

Quote from: drogulus on March 16, 2024, 09:06:33 AMIcan'tfinditanywhereohokhereitis.

Unfortunately I'll have to pass on this one. It seems Someone is freaked out by prison stuff.

That seems to imply you found it, but just in case I've misread, it's on the BBC iPlayer if you can access that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001w21p/prisoner

drogulus

Quote from: Iota on March 16, 2024, 10:11:37 AMThat seems to imply you found it, but just in case I've misread, it's on the BBC iPlayer if you can access that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001w21p/prisoner

I relocated from New York to London and iPlayer still won't work. That's typical. Manchester doesn't work either so I give up. 

Iota

Sorry to hear it. Hope it turns up within grabbing distance sometime soon, it's well worth anybody's time I'd say.