Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

rubio

A psych-folk outfit with some really beautiful girlie background vocals:

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Bogey

This four cd set has a plethora of bands represented from the swing era.  Great set to have when company is over as the mix of music is wonderful and the transfers all sound top-notch.  Here is a listing for those interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Big-Bands-Various-Artists/dp/samples/B000000BGQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&qid=1177803514&sr=8-2#disc_1
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 28, 2007, 06:31:47 PM

Bill - you're making me want to get back to more 'jazz listening'!  - hard to avoid Louie for long - thanks for the reminder - Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 28, 2007, 07:26:44 PM
Bill - you're making me want to get back to more 'jazz listening'!  - hard to avoid Louie for long - thanks for the reminder - Dave  :)

Dave,
Just found this to go with our two Decca sets....not a stellar review, but then completest like ourselves never let a poor one get in the way. ;D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005RGAF/ref=wl_it_dp/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2NH2I8H8QI8KR&colid=1QL2Z7GZ8KMA9

rubio

Some good songs, but most of them not so interesting. However, her voice has a lot of soul.

rubio

More prog elements than in their debut album, and it's really quite different. I think the first half of the album is really nice, but it loses momentum after that.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 28, 2007, 09:50:08 PM
Dave,
Just found this to go with our two Decca sets....not a stellar review, but then completest like ourselves never let a poor one get in the way. ;D

Bill - have not heard that one yet - but read the review (and just one available) - sounds like the first disc is great, but the second of live recordings less satisfactory at least to that reviewer.  But you did 'peek' my interest - the 4-CD set below of the 'California Concerts' did receive a 5* review on Amazon from multiple raters; and if you look on the Allmusic Web Site, there is a 'Live Pasadena' concert from '51 that received a 4+* listing, which is excellent for that site (no album cover) - so, how to sort all of this out?  Dave

George

Quote from: rubio on April 29, 2007, 02:57:48 AM
Some good songs, but most of them not so interesting. However, her voice has a lot of soul.

Nice try, we know you got it for the cover.  ;D

rubio

Quote from: George on April 29, 2007, 07:09:11 AM
Nice try, we know you got it for the cover.  ;D

I just borrowed it from the library  :), and I don't she's so beautiful (so I will not buy it  ;D). However the look of this R&B lady I love  8), but sadly she died only 22 years old in a plane crash.

rubio

Converge "No Heroes". Hardcore punk music sounding like distilled rage, and over all a bit too noisy for me. I guess I'm getting old(er). When jogging I never listen to classical music, and usually I prefer music that get's the adrenaline pumping in some way. But should I follow Converge's rhythms I guess I would run myself to death  ;D.

George

Quote from: rubio on April 29, 2007, 07:39:15 AM
I just borrowed it from the library  :), and I don't she's so beautiful (so I will not buy it  ;D). However the look of this R&B lady I love  8), but sadly she died only 22 years old in a plane crash.

Yes, it is sad whenever someone has to die young.  :-[

Haffner

Quote from: rubio on April 29, 2007, 07:45:09 AM
Converge "No Heroes". Hardcore punk music sounding like distilled rage, and over all a bit too noisy for me. I guess I'm getting old(er). When jogging I never listen to classical music, and usually I prefer music that get's the adrenaline pumping in some way. But should I follow Converge's rhythms I guess I would run myself to death  ;D.

Check out the first two releases by Converge (if you haven't already), and try jogging. Great fun!

rubio

Quote from: Haffner on April 29, 2007, 09:20:47 AM

Check out the first two releases by Converge (if you haven't already), and try jogging. Great fun!

I will do that. My background from when I was younger was a lot of thrash metal, punk and hardcore punk, and still I really like this music when training. It also can sound really good in concerts.

Haffner

Quote from: rubio on April 29, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
I will do that. My background from when I was younger was a lot of thrash metal, punk and hardcore punk, and still I really like this music when training. It also can sound really good in concerts.

Then it's quite possible that you'll enjoy the early Converge, which has alot of thrash/classic Metal influences. I'm sure that relapse.com can hook you up.

rubio

Quote from: Haffner on April 29, 2007, 12:24:26 PM

Then it's quite possible that you'll enjoy the early Converge, which has alot of thrash/classic Metal influences. I'm sure that relapse.com can hook you up.

Is that "Halo in a Haystack" and Caring and Killing" (what a title  ;D)?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0jfixq9hldfe~T2

Haffner

Quote from: rubio on April 29, 2007, 12:33:01 PM
Is that "Halo in a Haystack" and Caring and Killing" (what a title  ;D)?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0jfixq9hldfe~T2

Yeah, it mostly stands up today (forgetting the weirdo, post-'70's recording styles).

Daverz

A few more vinyl purchases

Bogey