Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: Eusebius on April 11, 2007, 09:32:38 AM
Yeah, I'm the same way I like to know the music pretty well before I hear it.

Especially when they have just released a CD, and will probably perform a lot of songs from that release  :-\

The Emperor

Neurosis - Given To The Rising

Amazing as usual.

Solitary Wanderer

The Complete Reprise Years 20 cd boxset ~ Frank Sinatra

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on April 12, 2007, 03:14:17 PM
The Complete Reprise Years 20 cd boxset ~ Frank Sinatra

Hello, Solitary Wanderer - glad to see you back.  Frank is one of my favorite 20th century 'pop' singers (depending on your definition, I guess; and, it's a 'short' list for me) - have the 'standard' Columbia, Capitol, & Reprise collections; but, please let us know in the future (will take a while to listen to all) what you think of this Reprise output - quite large! Thanks.  :D

Solitary Wanderer

Yep, big Frank fan here.

The only set I'm missing now is the Columbia 12cd Blue Box. I have the 4cd breakdown.

Yes, theres alot of music on this Reprise set. I already had the Reprise 4cd breakdown but this 20cd set is phenominal! I haven't got through all of it yet but if you're a fan then it really is sensational stuff covering alot of material/years. The leather suitcase version is long oop and hard to find so I was thrilled to find an excellent used set.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Now playing:

Excellent Italian 70s soundtrack music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on April 12, 2007, 03:31:38 PM
Yep, big Frank fan here.........................

Well, I've been listening to Spohr all night, but your posts stimulated me to put on some Frank - first CD from the 3-CD Capitol compilation now playing - nothing to say - just superlative!  :D

Robert

Quote from: SonicMan on April 12, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
Well, I've been listening to Spohr all night, but your posts stimulated me to put on some Frank - first CD from the 3-CD Capitol compilation now playing - nothing to say - just superlative!  :D

My feeling is that his Capital years were his best........

Robert

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 08:07:28 PM
Seconded.  Loved the works he did with Nelson Riddle here.

You are right on.. its really unfortunate that Frank stopped talking to him....He was not nice to Nelson. I don't really know the details but do believe Nelson was the reason he obtained the success he did.....No doubt he was his best arranger but, he also had  Gordon Jenkins and Billy May...

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Robert

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 08:38:11 PM
Ending the evening with:

Bill
I see your bringing out the heavy duty ammo....

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on April 12, 2007, 07:10:45 PM
Well, I've been listening to Spohr all night, but your posts stimulated me to put on some Frank - first CD from the 3-CD Capitol compilation now playing - nothing to say - just superlative!

Yes, thats a nice set which I also have. Although its kinda redundant now 'cause I bought the 21 cd Capitol boxset of all his capitol albums which is just great. Worth mentioning that his albums, especially during the Capitol years, were structured as 'theme' or 'concept' albums so really are best appreciated in their original sequencing. FAS had alot of input into track selection and running order.

Quote from: Robert on April 12, 2007, 08:03:44 PM
My feeling is that his Capital years were his best........

Yes, he really was at his peak both in voice and creative vision during these years.

But as I've dived deeper into his catalogue I've discovered much to enjoy during all his various phases. I have a soft spot for the Tommy Dorsey years; lots of great stuff on The Song is You 5cd boxset. Also I'm developing an appreciation for his romantic crooning during the Columbia years; I have the 4cd set. During his Reprise years there several classic concept albums like the '67 album with Antonio Carlos Jobin, Watertown, and A Man Alone written for him by Rod Mckeun.

Certainly an amazing artist with a long career.

NP:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on April 13, 2007, 12:42:19 PM
Yes, thats a nice set which I also have. Although its kinda redundant now 'cause I bought the 21 cd Capitol boxset of all his capitol albums which is just great. Worth mentioning that his albums, especially during the Capitol years, were structured as 'theme' or 'concept' .............................

Yes, this 'theme' concept is important w/ a lot of those Sinatra albums; in fact, as I was buying the 'box sets' from Columbia, through Capitol, to Reprise, I did keep a few of the many 'singles' that I had owned, including the two below:

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on April 13, 2007, 01:07:45 PM
Yes, this 'theme' concept is important w/ a lot of those Sinatra albums; in fact, as I was buying the 'box sets' from Columbia, through Capitol, to Reprise, I did keep a few of the many 'singles' that I had owned, including the two below:

Yep, two absolute stone classics there. I should have mentioned that that 3cd Capitol set has a great version of One For My Baby with FAS accompanied by Bill Miller on piano which isn't available elsewhere.

Theres also a great 4cd Capitol Singles boxset which is essential. FAS seemed to operate on two levels during his Capitol tenure releasing a steady stream of singles which had nothing to do with/and were not included on any of the concept albums.

The 3cd Capitol set is a great mix of the the best of the singles and the best of the theme albums.

The recent In Hollwood 6cds and In Vegas 4cds + 1dvd are also high quality FAS boxsets.

NP: This is one of my fave FAS theme albums of the upbeat variety.

Robert

Quote from: SonicMan on April 13, 2007, 01:07:45 PM

for upbeat stuff you could hardly do better than Billy May, for the mellow stuff he had Nelson and Gordon.

toledobass

B. Marsalis Quartet's disk Braggtown.  I got this a while ago but haven't spun it all that much.  It's mostly 'burnout' tunes and once again Jeff Watts conquers all.

Allan

The Emperor

Genesis discography(the peter gabriel era of course)

Supper's Ready is such a masterpiece, genius really, it's like the rock symphony 8)

Daverz

On Lp:

One of the great records from the ska revival.

"a condensation of United States, Anderson's four-and-a-half-hour performance-art piece"

Mister Heartbreak.  Features Adrian Belew on guitar, Peter Gabriel on vocals and synclavier, and William S. Burroughs doing "vocals" on the closing song.