Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

50th Anniversary release, which is excellent:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Oasis. No, not that Oasis. This Oasis comprises Peter Skellern, Mitch Dalton, Bill Lovelady, Mary Hopkin and Julian Lloyd Webber.

This album makes for very easy, typically late night, listening. The music is very melodious, the vocals are gentle and the vocal harmonies are rich and very engaging all of which makes for very pleasant listening. The songwriting is well crafted.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2019, 07:13:49 AM

I literally wore that LP out when I first got it trying to learn how to play the songs. I had to buy another one.

George

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2019, 07:13:49 AM
50th Anniversary release, which is excellent:

I am listening to it now. It's cleaner, with some interesting new, subtle bits, but I prefer the bite of the original mix. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

George

SimonNZ

^That's an excellent anthology (well, with the exception of that "Cha-Cha" song which I always skip).

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 02, 2019, 04:20:49 PM
^That's an excellent anthology (well, with the exception of that "Cha-Cha" song which I always skip).

Yeah, lots of songs that didnt get overplayed.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on October 02, 2019, 08:13:29 AM

First spin.

Boy, if you ever wanna hear the degree to which Journey's Steve Perry imitated Cooke, just listen to "Cupid" (especially the opening: "Cupid, draw back your bow ...").

TD:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 02, 2019, 07:32:17 PM

TD:

I used to own the full set of that. Wonderful.

TD:

on the radio: The Specials "A Message To You, Rudy" (followed by U2's "The Electric Co.")

Introverted

Recent listening:

Peter Gabriel - Flotsam and Jetsam

From petergabriel.com:

Flotsam and Jetsam is a collection of B-sides, remixes and rarities from across Peter Gabriel's solo career. Over 60 tracks are featured, mostly all of which have been previously released physically, either on 7", 12" or CD singles, soundtrack or tribute albums, but, with a few exceptions, are being released digitally for the first time.

The collection – arranged chronologically – is split into three eras. The first, 1976-1985, covers the period from Peter first going solo to the end of his run of four self-titled solo albums. It opens with a cover version of 'Strawberry Fields Forever', the first time Peter featured on a release after leaving Genesis. The second, 1986-1993, are Peter's popstar years with music released around the albums 'So' and 'Us'. The third era is 1994-2016and features remixes from the 'Up' album, plus tracks used in various films and notable cover versions. It ends with Peter's song 'The Veil', written especially for the Oliver Stone movie 'Snowden'.

Across the collection are a handful of previously unreleased versions of songs, most notably, the extended version of 'Slowburn' (PG1), the full version of 'Don't Break This Rhythm' (an edit featured as the B-side to Sledgehammer) and the tracks 'Curtains (Broad Mix)' and 'Father, Son (Daniel Lanois and Richard Chappell Mix)' both only previously available on the non-commercial Music Industry Trust Awards CD 'Uscita'.

SimonNZ

Ah...that does have the live version of "Kiss Of Life", a b-side to one of the Plays Live singles releases of "Solisbury Hill", though oddly not on any version of the Plays Live album.

Introverted

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 03, 2019, 01:00:35 AM
Ah...that does have the live version of "Kiss Of Life", a b-side to one of the Plays Live singles releases of "Solisbury Hill", though oddly not on any version of the Plays Live album.

I had a chance to listen to that track last night - I really like it!.
Shame it's a Digital-Only release at the moment (I would like to own the Discs). :)

j winter

Quote from: Introverted on October 03, 2019, 12:45:21 AM
Recent listening:

Peter Gabriel - Flotsam and Jetsam

From petergabriel.com:

Man, this is an expensive forum....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

San Antone

PG's entire catalog is now on Spotify. 

Which is fine for me since I avoid buying CDs unless I can't find the music to stream AND I feel as if I really need it (very rare). 

It wasn't that long ago that hardly any of PG's music was available to stream; something must have changed.   :)

aligreto

Introverted

Quote from: j winter on October 03, 2019, 07:01:04 AM
Man, this is an expensive forum....

Being a member here has cost me a lot of money over the years, thats for sure... :)

George

aligreto

Jethro Tull: Minstrel in the Gallery