Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Death- Scream Bloody Gore

The first (or second, depending on who you ask) death metal album to ever be released.

Been thinking a lot this morning about how funny it is that one of my very favorite genres of music happened to be started in my little area of the world while I was very young, yet didn't even discover this stuff until much later, thanks to the internet. The only big local music that was going on that I knew about back then was pop (Backstreet Boys, N Sync, etc.)  :P

Also listened to the first two Obituary albums, another band from that scene that I had never listened to before.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway

I haven't heard Death although got into a few thrash / death bands in the 90s when they became a bit more melodic e.g. Slayer Seasons In The Abyss, Morbid Angel Covenant, Napalm Death Fear, Emptiness, Despair. Bolt Thrower ...For Victory would actually be a good album for Remembrance Day seeing as they even growl the Ode of Remembrance. For anyone curious, the similar Peace Is Forfeit album by Trenchgrinder can be played or downloaded from https://archive.org/details/trnch-2019 for nothing.

steve ridgway

LOL now you've got me listening to Trenchgrinder as my iPad will continue to play it from a different tab in the browser.

greg

I'll give Trenchgrinder a listen tomorrow... never heard of them before.

Also probably should give a Bolt Thrower album a listen since I've heard about them a few times but never heard their music.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 06, 2019, 09:53:40 AM

John Renbourn: The Lady and the Unicorn

I'm not even sure if this album belongs in this thread; it's "crossover" before the term was ever used (1970). Or maybe it's just transcription? Renbourn and friends play old music by Bach, Machaut, Dowland and others in their own creative arrangements. A beautiful-sounding album.

Very nice  8)

SimonNZ

Black Belt Eagle Scout - At The Party With My Brown Friends (2019)

greg

Liking them more over time as I try to pay attention to the music as a whole rather than thinking about how simplistic the guitar riffs are.  :P

Nevertheless, very enjoyable stuff.  8)

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on November 09, 2019, 09:30:56 PM
I'll give Trenchgrinder a listen tomorrow... never heard of them before.

Also probably should give a Bolt Thrower album a listen since I've heard about them a few times but never heard their music.

I've been listening to some of the other albums that person uploaded, I suspect breaching copyright as many are far too recent. Not that I want to pirate any more, if those are representative then punk and metal have been stuck in a rut for decades.

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on November 10, 2019, 09:00:14 PM

Liking them more over time as I try to pay attention to the music as a whole rather than thinking about how simplistic the guitar riffs are.  :P

Nevertheless, very enjoyable stuff.  8)

I listened to it for a while, it doesn't really grab me although they deserve bonus points for adding a few different sounds into the thrashing. I'm more into the heavy industrial music from that period - Godflesh, Pitchshifter, Scorn, Dogpile, Terminal Cheesecake, Caspar Brotzmann Massaker.

SimonNZ

San Antone

Paul Simon - In the Blue Light (2018)

QuoteIn the Blue Light is the fourteenth solo studio album by American folk rock singer-songwriter Paul Simon. Produced by Paul Simon and Roy Halee, it was released on September 7, 2018, through Legacy Recordings. The album consists of re-recordings of select lesser-known songs from Simon's catalog, often altering their original arrangements, harmonic structures, and lyrics. The songs were recorded with guests including the instrumental ensemble yMusic, guitarist Bill Frisell, trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and the National's Bryce Dessner. The album's title is a reference to the lyrics in the song "How the Heart Approaches What It Yearns" from the 1980 album One-Trick Pony.

SimonNZ

Quote from: San Antone on November 11, 2019, 03:06:49 PM
Paul Simon - In the Blue Light (2018)

Huh. I wasn't aware he'd done that. Listening now.

George

Jus sampling this hybrid SACD for now (redbook layer), as I am waiting until my SACD gets out of the shop before giving it (and the other Dire Straits SACDs) a full spin. Sounds good!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Tangerine Dream: Zeit

I must be getting old. I got bored and did not play the second of this 2 LP set.

aligreto

Quote from: George on November 11, 2019, 04:00:13 PM

Jus sampling this hybrid SACD for now (redbook layer), as I am waiting until my SACD gets out of the shop before giving it (and the other Dire Straits SACDs) a full spin. Sounds good!

They should sound very good indeed. Enjoy your listening.

George

Quote from: aligreto on November 12, 2019, 02:19:30 AM
They should sound very good indeed. Enjoy your listening.

Thanks, same to you, my friend!

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on November 11, 2019, 04:00:13 PM

Oh i haven't listened to Dire Straits in yonks, thank you for the reminder. Time to dust off the air guitar...that's the way you do it....  8)

[asin]B0000242CG[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 12, 2019, 06:37:36 AM
Oh i haven't listened to Dire Straits in yonks, thank you for the reminder. Time to dust off the air guitar...that's the way you do it....  8)

[asin]B0000242CG[/asin]

Super album. Enjoy  8)

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 12, 2019, 06:37:36 AM

[asin]B0000242CG[/asin]

This guy aint dumb.   8)