Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The Band: Stage Fright

Though it doesn't quite reach the stellar heights of its two predecessors, it's an excellent album in its own right.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

San Antone

2019 saw the release of this tribute album to Mose Allison put together by his daughter Amy:

It is pretty good, the artists invited leave something to be desired, IMO.  But it reminded me of this anthology, which has the best overview to the great man:

j winter

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on December 12, 2019, 04:16:34 PM
The Band: Stage Fright

Though it doesn't quite reach the stellar heights of its two predecessors, it's an excellent album in its own right.

My sentiments precisely.  I have to say if someone pointed a gun at me and forced me to name my all-time favorite pop/rock album, their second self-titled The Band might well be it.... it's resonated deeply with me for most of my life.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

j winter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: j winter on December 14, 2019, 07:56:31 AM
My sentiments precisely.  I have to say if someone pointed a gun at me and forced me to name my all-time favorite pop/rock album, their second self-titled The Band might well be it.... it's resonated deeply with me for most of my life.

I could say the same about Music from Big Pink - it and The Band are practically interchangeable in terms of quality.

Today:

Steeleye Span: Parcel of Rogues

Terrific album. The rock/folk equation is well-balanced with neither half overwhelming the other, there are some spectacular sonic effects, and the 18th century historical perspective (early industrialization, Scottish rebellion, etc) is intriguing.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

San Antone

Van Morrison: Three Chords And The Truth
Released on 25 October 2019.

QuoteThree Chords and The Truth is his sixth record in the last four years, the latest dispatch of a particularly productive period, and the first to feature all-new original songs since 2012's Born to Sing: No Plan B (minus one co-write with lyricist Don Black). Though he sticks closely to the conservative R&B, blues, and jazz modes that have defined his '00s discography, the LP's 14 songs showcase his determination to wring profundity out of even the most common language. Songwriter Harlan Howard coined the phrase "Three chords and the truth" to describe the necessary ingredients for country and western music, but this isn't a country record. Van's talking about his desire to take simple rhymes and traditional song structures and imbue them with Caledonia soul heaviness. (Pitchfork)

At age 74, Van Morrison has not slowed down at all.  In fact, one could argue that he has been more prolific these last few years than at any time in his 50+ year career.  And the quality of these recordings is right up there with his best stuff.  Remarkable.  It is a good time for Van fans.   8)

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on December 14, 2019, 05:16:12 PM

Steeleye Span: Parcel of Rogues

Terrific album. The rock/folk equation is well-balanced with neither half overwhelming the other, there are some spectacular sonic effects, and the 18th century historical perspective (early industrialization, Scottish rebellion, etc) is intriguing.

Very nice  8)

George

SimonNZ

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 15, 2019, 07:39:18 PM

v/a - The Koto Music Of Japan (1967)
In a similar yet entirely different direction we have Luna. At one of her concerts in Seoul I was shocked at how dour and unresponsive Korean audiences are. Maybe they think it's polite or sophisticated to be indifferent? This young lady does some astonishing covers of Jimi Hendrix numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSVdHwHhyk#t=160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdqMuv3dKY

George

aligreto

Quote from: George on December 16, 2019, 08:23:28 AM
I was just listening to this yesterday:

What did you think of it? I do not have much of his solo work.

George

Quote from: aligreto on December 16, 2019, 09:38:25 AM
What did you think of it? I do not have much of his solo work.

For me, it's perfect because the mastering is great and the song selection is excellent. It has all the songs I know from him on the radio when I was growing up. Me and Julio, Kodachrome, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Still Crazy After All These Years, Slip Slidin Away, You Can Call Me Al . . .

aligreto

Quote from: George on December 16, 2019, 09:42:03 AM
For me, it's perfect because the mastering is great and the song selection is excellent. It has all the songs I know from him on the radio when I was growing up. Me and Julio, Kodachrome, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Still Crazy After All These Years, Slip Slidin Away, You Can Call Me Al . . .

OK, sounds like a good one  8)

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm listening to David Bowie best so far album of his career, you're allow to disagree but all song or good.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 16, 2019, 12:35:02 PM
I'm listening to David Bowie best so far album of his career, you're allow to disagree but all song or good.

"So far"?

Specifically which album?