Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Father Sydney MacEwan - Recital (1962)

Papy Oli

Blind spot #5 - Grand funk railroad - Closer to Home

edit: some good foot-tapping tracks on there.  8)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Blind spot #6 - Buzzcocks - Singles going steady

Olivier

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Blind spot #7 - Hall & Oates - The Singles

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

71 dB

Early 90's quality techno:

Dave Angel - New Orchestrations EP
Joey Beltram - The Caliber EP
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Carlo Gesualdo

The psychedelic world of 13TH Floor Elevator compilation of early psychedelic rock of U.K, whit fairly obscure bands I.e The spades , The Emperors etc.

I also will listen to  another compilation of  ancient psychedelic pop of early 60 called this time around:
Never Ever Land vol .1

Have a nice day!!!

Papy Oli

Blind spot #9 - The Clash - London Calling  :-[

Olivier

Papy Oli

Blind spot #10 - Devo - Q:Are we not men...

Olivier

Papy Oli

Blind spot #11 - Electric Light Orchestra

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: George on July 05, 2020, 06:13:48 AM
Are you a fan of The Sundays?

I gave this one a listen and I did, for the most part, like it. The only track that I did not like was the first one, despite re-listening. She had quite an interesting and distinctive voice.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 07, 2020, 03:56:21 AM
Blind spot #11 - Electric Light Orchestra

That is an interesting project that you are engaged in there, Olivier. From my own point of view I am interested in your "Blind spots" from the point of view that a lot of them have not stood up very well against the test of time, for me. So perhaps those "Blind spots" were a good indication of your discerning musical taste at the time  ;D

aligreto

Horslips: The Book of Invasions

Horslips were an Irish band who took traditional Irish music, electrified and Rocked it and brought it to yet another level without compromising the integrity of the music [no mean feat!]. This album is about the stolen harp of the Mighty One and the three principal categories of ancient Irish songs. Don't worry about it....the music is fantastic and speaks for itself [to Irish people anyway!].

George

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2020, 05:02:58 AM

I gave this one a listen and I did, for the most part, like it. The only track that I did not like was the first one, despite re-listening. She had quite an interesting and distinctive voice.

Glad you liked it, though sorry it didn't seem to be a huge hit with you, my friend.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on July 07, 2020, 06:04:45 AM
Glad you liked it, though sorry it didn't seem to be a huge hit with you, my friend.

Cheers George. Perhaps it will be a grower.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2020, 05:08:41 AM
That is an interesting project that you are engaged in there, Olivier. From my own point of view I am interested in your "Blind spots" from the point of view that a lot of them have not stood up very well against the test of time, for me. So perhaps those "Blind spots" were a good indication of your discerning musical taste at the time  ;D

I don't know about discerning  :laugh:

Most of the blind spots are in genres that did not stick over my own listening journey, or some sacred cows i had left by the side... For some of those genres, i thought to an extent that you "had to be there" in their time to enjoy them, say for glam rock, prog rock, punk, a fair portion of folk music as well...However, considering how some music opened up for me in the last couple of years, I thought  I'd make use of that streaming platform for those genres and albums/artists that I left by the wayside and re-assess.

So far, Hall & Oates stood out musically, felt to me like a high quality poppy Steely Dan, realising some songs were familiar and sounded pretty good without knowing it was theirs. That and Wishbone Ash are already a couple of artists i am likely to listen to again.   

I have lots of bands and artists yet to go through : Roxy Music, Bowie (beyond the hits, particularly the Berlin era), Peter Gabriel, Early Genesis, Yes, Soft Machine, Kate Bush, XTC, Stranglers, Robert Wyatt, Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Talking Heads, Chicago, Uriah Heep, REO speedwagon, Foghat, J Geils Band, June Tabor, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Lindisfarne, Fairport Convention, Incredible string band, Marillion, Van der Graff Generator, Procol Harum, Elvis Costello, Robert Fripp, Kevin Ayers, Badfinger, Bad company, Moody Blues, Mott the Hoople, Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, 10CC, Steely Dan (beyond Aja), Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton, Doobie Brothers, Ramones, ELP, Jethro Tull...

and breathe  ???   0:)

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 07, 2020, 06:48:28 AM

Most of the blind spots are in genres that did not stick over my own listening journey, or some sacred cows i had left by the side... For some of those genres, i thought to an extent that you "had to be there" in their time to enjoy them, say for glam rock, prog rock, punk, a fair portion of folk music as well...However, considering how some music opened up for me in the last couple of years, I thought  I'd make use of that streaming platform for those genres and albums/artists that I left by the wayside and re-assess.

I think that there is a fair element of that to music. Music that has been a backdrop to our lives in some way or another is the stuff that will mostly stay with you if you are not too engaged with the rest of the music that was being played at the time. It can be a lot about relevance and a point in time.

QuoteI have lots of bands and artists yet to go through : Roxy Music, Bowie (beyond the hits, particularly the Berlin era), Peter Gabriel, Early Genesis, Yes, Soft Machine, Kate Bush, XTC, Stranglers, Robert Wyatt, Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Talking Heads, Chicago, Uriah Heep, REO speedwagon, Foghat, J Geils Band, June Tabor, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Lindisfarne, Fairport Convention, Incredible string band, Marillion, Van der Graff Generator, Procol Harum, Elvis Costello, Robert Fripp, Kevin Ayers, Badfinger, Bad company, Moody Blues, Mott the Hoople, Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, 10CC, Steely Dan (beyond Aja), Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton, Doobie Brothers, Ramones, ELP, Jethro Tull...

Hopefull you have enough time left on the planet to do all of that  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2020, 06:58:38 AM
I think that there is a fair element of that to music. Music that has been a backdrop to our lives in some way or another is the stuff that will mostly stay with you if you are not too engaged with the rest of the music that was being played at the time. It can be a lot about relevance and a point in time.

Hopefully you have enough time left on the planet to do all of that  ;D

I am being ruthless. I press >> when i need to  ;D

TD: Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 07, 2020, 07:13:52 AM
I am being ruthless. I press >> when i need to  ;D

That button may well be worn out before too long  :laugh: