Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 10, 2020, 08:00:55 AM
The cheap box of mid 70s albums The Virgin Years 1974-1978 is the one I'd go for.

Thank you Steve, I have saved that one as well for streaming.
Olivier

71 dB

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:13:51 AM
It's just the conjunction of the lockdown and joining a streaming platform that made "hungry" to sample music I had ignored over the years or tried many moons ago without success.

I see. I see. Makes sense.

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:13:51 AMIt just raises my curiosity when anyone here lists an artist or band that is important to them (and/or long established in their listening history) for which I know nothing or hardly, hence my request for entry points or albums to focus on in the other thread. What will stick with me is a bonus. Also, I have eaten some substantial humble pies over time, having dismissed some particular artists before by a flick of the hand without listening, only to be floored later on by seeing them live (Status Quo) or properly listening to their albums (Sam Smith, Stone Roses). So now, I listen first.

People have their taste. I'm fine with other people not sharing my taste. I first tried Tangerine Dream for example in early 90's, but I wasn't ready. In 2008 I was ready and the rest is history. What I have learned to not make quick judgements and to not have strong opinion before you really know something well.

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:13:51 AMMy flaw is, with some rare exceptions, I don't have that same hunger to seek out current bands, I let the hypes die down first and sieve through 10,15,20 years later  0:)...For all I know, I may be grooving to Lady Gaga in my mid-fifties :laugh:

As long as you have more music to explore than time it doesn't matter if you don't have hunger to certain genres.

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:13:51 AMTD: Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure

Good rec that, thank you. Good music to be absorbed by, or to play in the background. I made a double take about 4'30 into Thru Metamorphic Rocks, it sounded like it merged into a track from Autechre  :laugh:

Tangerine Dream happens to be one of Autechre's major influences and I kind of think Autechre the logical continuation of TD. If TD took music to dreamworlds, Autechre takes it to coma!  ;D

Thru Metamorphic Rocks happened "accidentally" and is a result of an amp having faulty transistor creating the massive distortion. They liked the result so they kept the it.

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:13:51 AMCase in point, Tangerine Dream is a band I have ignorantly dismissed in the past as in the same bag as Yes, Can, Popol Vuh, and the likes, a genre alien and obscure to me in the past... Other tracks on this compilation do not work for me at all but for now, these three on Force Majeure very much do. That's today's bonus.

I did also ignore TD for ridiculously long and a lot of it was the fact that TD has never been big in Finland so I regarded them merely a footnote in the history of electronic music. How wrong I was!  :-\   ;D

Interesting if "Force Majeure" works for you but the other albums not. I wonder what you'd think of the newer stuff such as "Views From A Red Train" from 2008. The thing is TD has been around for half a century and they have been very prolific (even after Edgar Froese's death in 2015) so there's TONS OF STUFF out there. Style has changed many times and with TD you kind of have 10 bands in one. Hearing 10 albums is scratching the surfice no matter how optimally you choose those albums.  :P Getting into TD was a lot of work for me, but also a lot of fun.

The 1974-1978 albums recommended by Steve are solid. Some TD fans don't like "Cyclone" album, but I like it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 07:16:52 AM
I think i did at some point in the mid 90's but I don't have much recollection of their music. Would have to sample again. Any album to start with please ?
I have their studio "Under The Table And Dreaming" and the live "Dave Matthews Band Listener Supported" [not certain whether DMB is part of that title].  I, as I mentioned earlier, really enjoy their music, but sometimes listening to DM himself singing drives me a bit cuckoo.  Curious as to how you perceive things Olivier.   :)

Best and Happy explorations?  Your comments re Lady Gaga lead me to believe that you're on the younger side Olivier! :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 10, 2020, 08:00:55 AM
The cheap box of mid 70s albums The Virgin Years 1974-1978 is the one I'd go for.

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 08:04:24 AM
Thank you Steve, I have saved that one as well for streaming.

Not to contradict you gentlemen, but the recent remasters of those early Virgin albums are the ones to hear, IMHO. You can buy them individually or this box set:

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 05:34:45 PM
Not to contradict you gentlemen, but the recent remasters of those early Virgin albums are the ones to hear, IMHO. You can buy them individually or this box set:

Good idea for a streaming user :).

steve ridgway

Magma - 1001° Centigrades.

I much prefer this artwork to "2" although it's the same album :-\.

George

George

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 05:34:45 PM

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 11, 2020, 05:49:32 AM
Good idea for a streaming user :).

ok, I'll switch to that box set instead when i get back to TD. Cheers John and Steve.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2020, 01:54:34 AM
It's all a matter of tastes eventually, Hopefully Sarge won't bring out the guns to sort me out after being unkind to Emmylou  :laugh:

No, you're safe. I'll keep my bazooka in the armory ;D  Myself, I'm allergic to the singing of Bono and Neil Young...and for many years Bob Dylan although I appreciate him now.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 13, 2020, 06:21:38 AM
No, you're safe. I'll keep my bazooka in the armory  ;D Myself, I'm allergic to the singing of Bono and Neil Young...and for many years Bob Dylan although I appreciate him now.

Sarge

Hey Sarge!

Yeah, took me a LONG time to get into Mr. Zimmerman. And now, I wonder what the hell was wrong with me.

Was just singing It's All Over No, Baby Blue in one of those underpasses in Central Park yesterday, thinking "does it get any better than this?"

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 13, 2020, 06:21:38 AM
No, you're safe. I'll keep my bazooka in the armory ;D  Myself, I'm allergic to the singing of Bono and Neil Young...and for many years Bob Dylan although I appreciate him now.

Sarge

Phew !!  ;D

More browsing:

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on July 13, 2020, 06:28:06 AM
Hey Sarge!

Yeah, took me a LONG time to get into Mr. Zimmerman. And now, I wonder what the hell was wrong with me.

Was just singing It's All Over No, Baby Blue in one of those underpasses in Central Park yesterday, thinking "does it get any better than this?"

Exactly. I was listening to Blonde on Blonde the other day, and thinking, How did I not appreciate this in the 60s when it created a revolution?

Sarge

Papy Oli

get the guns out, Sarge... Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 don't make my Dylan top 3  :P
Olivier

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 13, 2020, 06:41:17 AM
Exactly. I was listening to Blonde on Blonde the other day, and thinking, How did I not appreciate this in the 60s when it created a revolution?

Sarge

So much fun in that album, and in Highway 61 Revisited.

Papy Oli

some browsing went faster than planned earlier  0:)

TD : Klaus Schulze - Moondawn

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 13, 2020, 06:54:44 AM
get the guns out, Sarge... Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 don't make my Dylan top 3  :P

Papy Oli