Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Not currently listening but just discovered and alerting anyone who may care of this due for release in two weeks:

"THE HARRY SMITH B-SIDES

Box set containing the flip side of 78-rpm records that Harry Smith included on the Anthology of American Folk Music.

Available for pre-order. Official release date is October 16, 2020.

81 newly-remastered recordings on four CDs with a full-color, 144-page, cork-cover book in a cigar-style box.

Featuring archival images, original artwork by Harry Smith, and essays by John Cohen, Lance Ledbetter, and Eli Smith.

Liner note contributions by more than 80 artists, writers, and musicians that have been inspired by Harry Smith's work including Daniel Bachman, Devendra Banhart, Sarah Bryan, Rosanne Cash, Dom Flemons, Steve Gunn, Will Oldham, Amanda Petrusich, Steve Roden, Art Rosenbaum, Nathan Salsburg, Peter Stampfel, and many more.

In 1952, Folkways Records published the legendary 6-LP series entitled the Anthology of American Folk Music, compiled from original 78s by record collector, filmmaker, artist, and anthropologist Harry Smith.

Many historians and musicians cite Smith's reissue, with its recordings of country, blues, Cajun, and gospel music from the 1920s and '30s, and its booklet containing idiosyncratic liner notes, esoteric artwork, and handmade design as a major impetus for the folk music revival of the 1950s and '60s and as a source of profound cultural change.

68 years later, The Harry Smith B-Sides offers both a resonant listening experience and the closing of a collector's circle. Sequenced in the identical order that Smith created, this new box set offers the flip-side of  78-rpm records that he selected for the original Anthology of American Folk Music.

With newly-remastered audio, this box set represents a mirror image of the Anthology of American Music's tracklist, and a way to hear the complete statement of each original 78-rpm record included on Smith's landmark compilation. "

https://dust-digital.com/shop/harry-smith-b-sides

Old San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 03, 2020, 05:51:55 PM
Not currently listening but just discovered and alerting anyone who may care of this due for release in two weeks:

"THE HARRY SMITH B-SIDES

Box set containing the flip side of 78-rpm records that Harry Smith included on the Anthology of American Folk Music.

Available for pre-order. Official release date is October 16, 2020.

81 newly-remastered recordings on four CDs with a full-color, 144-page, cork-cover book in a cigar-style box.

Featuring archival images, original artwork by Harry Smith, and essays by John Cohen, Lance Ledbetter, and Eli Smith.

Liner note contributions by more than 80 artists, writers, and musicians that have been inspired by Harry Smith's work including Daniel Bachman, Devendra Banhart, Sarah Bryan, Rosanne Cash, Dom Flemons, Steve Gunn, Will Oldham, Amanda Petrusich, Steve Roden, Art Rosenbaum, Nathan Salsburg, Peter Stampfel, and many more.

In 1952, Folkways Records published the legendary 6-LP series entitled the Anthology of American Folk Music, compiled from original 78s by record collector, filmmaker, artist, and anthropologist Harry Smith.

Many historians and musicians cite Smith's reissue, with its recordings of country, blues, Cajun, and gospel music from the 1920s and '30s, and its booklet containing idiosyncratic liner notes, esoteric artwork, and handmade design as a major impetus for the folk music revival of the 1950s and '60s and as a source of profound cultural change.

68 years later, The Harry Smith B-Sides offers both a resonant listening experience and the closing of a collector's circle. Sequenced in the identical order that Smith created, this new box set offers the flip-side of  78-rpm records that he selected for the original Anthology of American Folk Music.

With newly-remastered audio, this box set represents a mirror image of the Anthology of American Music's tracklist, and a way to hear the complete statement of each original 78-rpm record included on Smith's landmark compilation. "

https://dust-digital.com/shop/harry-smith-b-sides

Yes! I am very interested.  Thanks for the heads-up since these often go out of print quickly.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 24, 2020, 05:52:57 AM

Chris Connor Sings The George Gershwin Almanac Of Song (1957)

If you don't know Chris Connor's singing, it is the portrait of cool.

I like Chris Connor's singing, but the band/orchestration in most albums are banal and sometimes a little silly. So it is frustrating. I wish she had issued albums with good arrangers. The albums of ODay and June Christie sound better though I prefer Connor's vocal.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 03, 2020, 07:06:45 PM
I like Chris Connor's singing, but the band/orchestration in most albums are banal and sometimes a little silly. So it is frustrating. I wish she had issued albums with good arrangers. The albums of ODay and June Christie sound better though I prefer Connor's vocal.

I like the album Anita O'Day did with Gary McFarland arrangements, Ballad of the Sad Young Men.  Before McFarland went in a pop direction (some of which I also like) his jazz band arranging was really good.  John Lewis has a album, Essence, of McFarland's music that is really good (I have it in vinyl as well).  But McFarland's masterpiece, IMO, is his orchestral suite America the Beautiful

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 04, 2020, 02:23:14 AM
I like the album Anita O'Day did with Gary McFarland arrangements, Ballad of the Sad Young Men.  Before McFarland went in a pop direction (some of which I also like) his jazz band arranging was really good.  John Lewis has a album, Essence, of McFarland's music that is really good (I have it in vinyl as well).  But McFarland's masterpiece, IMO, is his orchestral suite America the Beautiful.

Yes, the Sad Young Man is a fine album. I will check out the Lewis and McFarland albums.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Vangelis: Direct

One of my favourite Vangelis albums.

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Really nice article(s) about him on the BBC's website.  I hadn't realized how well he was regarded as a guitarist and his use of 'tapping', etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54446564

There are a couple of nice videos too there--including one of how he played.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Clara Ward - Come In The Room (1962)

Old San Antone

George

Todd

Another go, with the standard mixes only.  Her best work since Overpowered, and the best neo-disco out there.  (OK, I don't listen to too much neo-disco.)

Old San Antone

LKB

Over the last two months l've become acquainted with two jazz legends l had been ignorant of, Miles Davis and Sarah Vaughan.

Of the two, Vaughan has impressed me the most. What a talent! Even in an era where people of colour had limited opportunities, she could have made her mark in opera or any other genre. She had all the skills. And so once again, l find myself becoming a fan of a performer who left the stage decades ago...

Still learning,

LKB

( edited for readability )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

George

Never sounded badder. (Not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good!)

Todd

Finally broke down and bought a redbook download and listened through my main rig.  Kiran Shahani knows production, something made easier, no doubt, with Ms Halligan.

Todd

George