Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

It is mesmerizing.  Took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting it.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Dowder on February 01, 2021, 04:22:53 PM
Re-listening to the Ramones albums. Great fun and underrated, especially Joey's song, which are always upbeat and feel good tunes.

I enjoyed the first three albums a lot when they came out, still listen very occasionally. The lyrics were hilarious and the whole concept refreshingly dumb. 8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2021, 05:09:31 PM
It is mesmerizing.  Took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting it.
Glad that you enjoyed it!  I have a number of her albums and EPs.  Remember being quite quite floored when I first heard her music.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Oh yeah, Kate is a creative powerhouse. The Sensual World is one of my all time favourite albums.

Benji

Favourite releases of the last six months;

Fleet Foxes - Shore. Feel good indie folk. Much lighter in tone than their previous album despite being recorded in a pandemic. Love the optimism!

Anna Von Hausswolff - All thoughts fly. Experimental organ works really exploring the textural  abilities of a baroque organ of a Gothenburg church organ. This album is absolutely fascinating - it's pure wizardry the sonorities she pulls out of the instrument, and often breathtaking. It can be difficult to believe the sounds are purely acoustic and not electronic. Sample the track Sacro Bosco with headphones for an intense 3D experience!

Sujfan Stevens - The Ascension. Always have time for this guy - he creates really interesting stories with his lyrics. This album follows on from an excellent previous album that was almost pure  synth and heavily retro with a sci-fi vibe and, happily for me, elements of that have carried through to the instrumental colouring of the latest album. The songs are really excellent - they already feel very familiar -  instant classics.

SimonNZ

Patsy Cline - Sentimentally Yours (1962)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 03, 2021, 11:09:28 PM

Patsy Cline - Sentimentally Yours (1962)
What a voice and what a talent!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Taking a break having a bit of fun.  I stumbled across this video of David Letterman interviewing Frank and Moon Unit Zappa (early 1980's):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjKacvp6iU

Part way through.  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

A full four-hour concert of The Rolling Thunder Revue with perfect live-album sound quality. So not just the Dylan part of the show but also sets by Joni Mitchell, Roberta Flack, Ramblin Jack Eliot, Roger MCGuin, Ronee Blakely, Bob Neuwirth and Joan Baez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfkmPAACpJI

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 04, 2021, 04:57:47 PM
Old favorite.

A friend of mine has it on his wants list; he has the CD and I expect an LP version, but is hoping to run across a used copy of it on SACD for a reasonable price.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 06, 2021, 04:23:18 AM
A friend of mine has it on his wants list; he has the CD and I expect an LP version, but is hoping to run across a used copy of it on SACD for a reasonable price.

PD

Some but not all (I guess it depends on the label) of those sacd remasters offer dynamic range compression.  He would be better off with an older cd or with the lp imho.

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 06, 2021, 04:23:18 AM

PD

The best the album ever sounded on CD/SACD is the SHM SACD. Unlike many modern remasters, it does not have dynamic compression.

You can order it here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6809611?ev=rb

DavidW

George

Quote from: DavidW on February 06, 2021, 11:55:11 AM
Wow expensive though!

Yep, but I don't like any of the other masterings, they are either too bright or compressed. This one is neither. It's not perfect, but it is certainly the best of the five or so masterings of that album and I strongly suspect it is the best it can sound.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 06, 2021, 06:45:31 AM
Some but not all (I guess it depends on the label) of those sacd remasters offer dynamic range compression.  He would be better off with an older cd or with the lp imho.

Quote from: George on February 06, 2021, 11:38:49 AM
The best the album ever sounded on CD/SACD is the SHM SACD. Unlike many modern remasters, it does not have dynamic compression.

You can order it here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6809611?ev=rb

I believe that that's the same one that he is trying to get ahold of:  I have this image here which I believe is the one that he wants: And I can't copy it over!  It's listed as Japanese and a SHM.  But thank your for the link!  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

"Dancers of Bali: Gamelan Orchestra from Pliatan, Bali, Indonesia" (1952)