Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Carlo Gesualdo

Looking for something different try this album conceptual black metal thas is  not  metal more experimental , arab pagan band Equimanthorn, there from Lebanon butt live in USA now, there music is rich, in different shade and paterns, yes even me whom does not care about black-experimental music black metal whiteout metal that conceptual and art school, there best is Exalted are the tHrone Bearers of Nikighal, this is  quite a listen not boring at, sometime music is influence by Tangerine dream and Goblins.
Way cool band!

Deprofundis , speak to arab world do you guys have other bands that ae inspiring, these guys are  awesome original, sound there own!! I have all there album in download and one CD. Salam, Chukran, thanks guys

SimonNZ

Quote from: Todd on February 09, 2021, 11:11:34 AM

Something from the Red Elvis.

Funny. I heard about Dean Reed for the first time just a few days ago, in a podcast about the Cold War, talking about how advanced English was taught at Moscow schools.

SimonNZ

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on February 10, 2021, 08:24:13 AM

Good choices! Kid A is a long time fave.

Radiohead have an excellent b side from the most recent album - the song is called Ill Wind. Check it out if you don't already know it, it's quite beautiful and the lyrics almost feel prescient given the current global pandemic!

DavidW

I watched a video about Thom Yorke's favorite song how to disappear completely which made me give the album a fresh listen.

SimonNZ

"Morning Bell" from that album was what finally sold me on Radiohead.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 06, 2021, 07:43:59 PM

"Dancers of Bali: Gamelan Orchestra from Pliatan, Bali, Indonesia" (1952)

I love Gamelan music!

stingo

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

Quote from: George on February 13, 2021, 09:57:05 AM
Nice one! An all time favorite of mine.

Same.  A couple of nights ago I finished my classical music listening and so I browsed Qobuz by most popular and I landed on that.

Iota

A lost, unanchored, searching feel. I like it very much.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Benji

Quote from: Iota on February 14, 2021, 07:19:18 AM

A lost, unanchored, searching feel. I like it very much.

Excellent choice! That's one of those gems of an album that is about the cohesive whole - something to listen to intently and absorb. Mark Hollis put so much of himself into his albums, and such fastidious craftsmanship. He'd have made an excellent classical composer had he gone down that route, I feel.

LKB

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 11, 2021, 09:07:31 PM
I love Gamelan music!

Perhaps you're familiar with Lou Harrison, whom l knew when he was affiliated with San Jose State University. Gamelon was a staple in his compositions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Harrison
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Iota

Quote from: Benji on February 16, 2021, 10:33:07 AM
Excellent choice! That's one of those gems of an album that is about the cohesive whole - something to listen to intently and absorb. Mark Hollis put so much of himself into his albums, and such fastidious craftsmanship. He'd have made an excellent classical composer had he gone down that route, I feel.

Wholeleheartedly agree with all of that! His commitment to his material shines through in everything he does, and the result is personal and powerful. Interesting notion about his classical potential.  :)

Recently played:

Another moving album, littered with great moments.

SimonNZ

B-sides to the tracks on Harry Smith's Anthology Of American Folk Music

Not the new Dust-To-Digital release of these, which I'm sure would sound even better than they already do, but a YT playlist of older uploads put in order.

I'm reminded that when these 78s came out there were no a-sides or b-sides or one track promoted over the other, that the prefered track was left to the fates, and most everything here is just as strong as those on the original Anthology.