Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

"Andrew Bird &  the Mysterious Production of Eggs" (2003)

aligreto

Paul Brady: Hard Station

The renowned Irish acoustic guitarist Paul Brady started life as folk/traditional artist; he was a one time member of Planxty. As far as I remember this early 1980s album was his first venture in breaking away from his folk/traditional roots. It was an easy transition for him; he is a consummate musician. I do not consider it to be an amazing album but the album was well received and it included a hit for him with the song "Crazy Dreams". It also subsequently helped to project his career [financially] into the stratosphere. Many people eventually took notice of him and covered his songs. Good for him!

Iota

Bowie: Lodger

Good beyond description at times.

vers la flamme

Been driving around listening to this the past couple days (Radiohead's Amnesiac). Somehow I never got into this album before, but it's really good; better than the more famous Kid A, I reckon.

George

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 07, 2021, 07:45:27 AM

Been driving around listening to this the past couple days (Radiohead's Amnesiac). Somehow I never got into this album before, but it's really good; better than the more famous Kid A, I reckon.

It is really good, perhaps more accessible than Kid A, but I don't know if I think it is better. I do think the follow up, Hail To The Thief is incredible and grossly underrated.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

vers la flamme

Quote from: George on March 07, 2021, 09:48:52 AM
It is really good, perhaps more accessible than Kid A, but I don't know if I think it is better. I do think the follow up, Hail To The Thief is incredible and grossly underrated.

Might be the whole novelty effect. Like I said, I'm just getting into this one and I may have heard Kid A a few thousand times too many to appreciate the music to its full extent. But I must admit that my current impression is that this one is better. Hail to the Thief I also never got into, so I'll have to check it out again on your good word.

aligreto

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 01, 2021, 06:13:56 AM

A first listen to the latest Mogwai album, "As the Love Continues".

Again.

and again.
Olivier

SimonNZ

Pauline Anna Strom - Angel Tears in Sunlight (2021)

j winter

I've been really enjoying the 50th anniversary edition of Stage Fright.  Besides the remixes, Robbie Robertson has re-sequenced the tracks on the album to what he claims was the original running order, and it makes a huge difference to the overall feel of the album.  The 2nd disc is an excellent 1971 concert in decent sound.  They've released 50th remixes of the first three albums at this point, and IMO they're all worth picking up if you're a fan...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Artem

Green by Hiroshi Yoshimura. Pleasant 1980s ambient music from Japan.

aligreto

SimonNZ

Still Corners - The Last Exit (2021)

SimonNZ

^love "Harmony" and "I've Seen That Movie Too" from that

aligreto

aligreto